Recommendations for cataract surgery lenses for flying

Old March 20th 18, 04:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
teck48[_2_]

Default Recommendations for cataract surgery lenses for flying

I'm due for cataract surgery. Any good or bad experiences with lens implants for flying? Eye doc is recommending multi focus lenses (as opposed to mono focus). And a slightly different lens in each eye. Both multifocal, but dominant eye implant optimized for distance. Anyone have any experience? Thanks! –Tom
Old March 20th 18, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Retting

A few questions........age, type of flying you do...power,racing.
Old March 20th 18, 05:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
gkemp

That is just the type of cataract lenses I had and they were great for flying.
gkemp
Old March 20th 18, 08:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I have single focus lenses and I have 20:10 distance vision.Â* I need
reading glasses for up close, however.

--
Dan, 5J
Old March 20th 18, 08:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Tuesday, March 20, 2018 at 8:51:21 AM UTC-7, teck48 wrote:
I'm due for cataract surgery. Any good or bad experiences with lens implants for flying? Eye doc is recommending multi focus lenses (as opposed to mono focus). And a slightly different lens in each eye. Both multifocal, but dominant eye implant optimized for distance. Anyone have any experience? Thanks! –Tom

If you have not tried multifocal lenses, you may want to sample before you do something that is somewhat permanent. There are many multifocal contact lenses with different focal region strategies, I'd have the doctor recommend one similar to the lens and try it for a few days.

I have used multifocal contact lenses for a number of years and find that one in both eyes gives up more far vision than I would like. Multifocals trade far vision for near in general. Individuals adapt differently to these lenses, and some never adapt - that's why I'd say try before they cut.
Old March 20th 18, 10:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
teck48[_2_]

Thanks for the thoughts. I'm 65 and fairly active. I'm a hobby glider pilot.. And small dinghy sailor. I make videos and do a lot of computer and writing work.

I'm extremely near sighted but not astigmatic. I'm a fussy ******* about glasses, but once these replacement lenses are implanted it's a bit late to be fussy....

–Tom
Old March 20th 18, 10:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I had cataract surgery 14 years ago in both eyes. Have mono focus lenses in both eyes. I wear bi-focals with essentially plain glass for far vision. I was myopic and my far vision is now 20/20. Being able to spot other gliders/aircraft quickly is obviously important in soaring. Sharp focus while assessing a field prior to an off-field landing also important to me. So, I'll opt for the acute far vision option and mono focus without the trade-offs. And yes, my sun glasses are bifocal too.

It would be good to hear from pilots with the multi-focus lenses in this forum too.

Chuck Zabinski

Old March 20th 18, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Cataract surgery increases the chance of retinal detachment. If the doctor says to wait a few weeks before flying, consider waiting a bit extra.

Raul Boerner
Old March 20th 18, 11:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

As I mentioned earlier, I use cheap reading glasses, the kind you get at
the grocery store pharmacy.Â* I have 7 pair in the house, car, garage,
hangar, etc.Â* I also have THESE
https://www.amazon.com/Tifosi-Veloce-1040800186-Reading-Glasses/dp/B00EKERBU4/ref=sr_1_1?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1521586078&sr=1-1&nodeID=7141123011&psd=1&keywords=tifosi+bifoca l
sunglasses with clear vision lenses for distant vision and bifocal
readers built in.Â* I use them for driving and flying.Â* Very happy with them.

Old March 21st 18, 02:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Tuesday, March 20, 2018 at 2:22:16 PM UTC-7, teck48 wrote:
Thanks for the thoughts. I'm 65 and fairly active. I'm a hobby glider pilot. And small dinghy sailor. I make videos and do a lot of computer and writing work.

I'm extremely near sighted but not astigmatic. I'm a fussy ******* about glasses, but once these replacement lenses are implanted it's a bit late to be fussy....

–Tom

The multifocal contact lenses come with a prescription correction for far field vision, so they correct that at the same time. It should give you an idea of how your new lenses will work.

I wear one multifocal contact lens while flying or anytime I'm out and around. This lets me see the instrument panel, charts, phone, menu or whatever. My distance vision is still better than 20/20 with it in. The contact lens is a bit of a PITA (in, out, and care), so if I had cataracts I would do the multifocal lens replacement, but I'd shop carefully. I've tried about 5 different types of multifocal contacts, and some certainly worked better (for me) than others.

I've found a pair of sunglasses that I like for flying with or without the multifocal lens. The reason I like them over others I've tried is that the bifocal cheater can be ordered larger and higher than most (which covers the instrument panel better without the neck craning) and they are also available in gradient shading, which keeps from shading the instrument panel. They are available with a prescription correction if you need it.

https://flyingeyesoptics.com/product...on-rx-bifocal/