AC Williams -Final Glide

Old January 19th 06, 04:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default AC Williams -Final Glide

AC And Mary Williams Died Today
I was very saddened when I received word this evening that both A.
C. and his wife Mary died in a tragic automobile highway accident while
traveling in Oklahoma today. A.C. had been a National 1-26 Champion
pilot back in the 1960s, and had established the well-known South West
Soaring commercial glider operations at both Rockwall and San Marcos in
Texas. His day job was that of an engineer with E-Systems at
Greenville, but he loved flying gliders and the many friends he met
doing so.
He later closed his San Marcos glider school, and he and Mary
concentrated their glider training operations and Schweizer, then later
Grob dealerships to the larger Caddo Mills Airport. More recently,
because of health problems, he was forced to sell his operation,
hangars and property at Caddo Mills to a new operator. Red Smith
continues to operate S.W. Soaring today with much the same dedication
as that which A.C. and Mary had done for about 40 years.
Both AC and Mary will be sorely missed.
Sincerely,
Dick Johnson

Old January 19th 06, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Remembered and missed here.

Briefly met and flew with him taking my private-G check ride at Caddo
Mills back in late 70s. I think he signed me off or did the check...
can't recall and lost the logs.

Lot's of years and wisdom there even then.

Bill Watson - 4i

Old January 23rd 06, 03:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Back in 1969, I was an 18-year-old 1-26 pilot in my first national
contest (and with only a few cross country flights). We spent most of
the contest that year on the grid waiting for the weather to clear so I
had lots of time to look around. I discovered that most pilots had
removed the large wingtip wheels that were a common feature of
Schweizer gliders. So, as an aspiring champion, I got out my socket
wrench and did the same thing. I didn't know what to do with the single
bolt (about 1/4" dia., as I recall) so I simply screwed it back in the
wingtip. I didn't quite tighten down all the way to the wing skin but,
hey, we're talking about a 1-26. I doubt the wing wheel itself made any
difference in performance, much less a little bolt head sitting proud.

A.C. walked over the next morning and looked at my wingtip critically,
not saying anything. I took the bait and scrambled to my feet.

"You gonna leave those bolts in there like that?" he asked thoughtfully

I was intimidated. And embarrassed. A.C.'s reputation in the 1-26 world
was large. I'd obviously committed a faux pas. This was the national
contest and these guys were serious. If I wanted to play in their
league, I'd better get serious, too. So out came the tool box and the
wrench and, soon, the little bolt in each wing tip.

When I was finished, I happened to look over at A.C. sitting by his
plane. He had this little thoughtful but not unkind smile on his face.
This was an earlier, more innocent age. It was a while before I
realized I'd been psyched out.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"

Old January 23rd 06, 05:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I've known him most of my life, though from afar, usually. The sport of
Soaring needs more tireless souls like AC and so many others that have
made so much of what we love possible. I recently saw a trailer that
was built by my brother, Jessie. Not too long ago at TSA, I saw a
picture of Bill Hollins. Just this evening, I read some words written
by Dick Schreder. Thinking back on my days as a 10-year-old airport bum
makes me miss these and many other tremendous people I've met through
soaring. Len Neimi and the Sisu were the hottest brands going in those
days. God speed, AC Williams. We'll miss you.

Jack Womack
PIK-20B N77MA (AZ)
Clovis NM

Final Glide: Edward "Ted" Pearson [email protected] Soaring 1 December 4th 05 05:44 PM
Roger Ruch - Final Glide [email protected] Soaring 2 November 25th 05 10:12 AM
Final glide Dick Beck Bruce Soaring 0 November 10th 05 09:16 PM
Australian Shareware Final Glide Calculator Neptune Soaring 0 September 6th 04 01:53 AM
Final Glide for Don Dorrell JJ Sinclair Soaring 2 December 2nd 03 03:56 PM