The "offical" LXNAV V7 thread

Old June 28th 12, 01:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default The "offical" LXNAV V7 thread

Op woensdag 27 juni 2012 23:37:58 UTC+2 schreef Glen Kelley het volgende:
On Wednesday, June 27, 2012 5:08:51 PM UTC-4, (unknown) wrote:
Op woensdag 27 juni 2012 05:39:34 UTC+2 schreef Glen Kelley het volgende:
On Tuesday, June 26, 2012 10:42:51 PM UTC-4, Bastoune wrote:
All, I have noticed on the LX Nav website that a new firmware revision V2.0 was released last week for the V7. Do we know what bug fix and/or feature addition was incorporated?

Not really sure, but it appears that the gps signal status indicator has vanished!

Are you sure the GPS source and the V7 are set at the same baudrate?

I did check. The feed from the powerflarm to the v7 and on to Oudie/SYM is working fine. The oudie is definitely using the gps stream from the PF. We were previously getting the gps symbol bad then good as the pf locked on. Now there is no gps symbol at all on the v7, but the gps data indicates fine on the oudie. Internal gps on the oudie is disabled as backup, so the gps is definitely coming from pf/v7.

Hmm, strange... I think the GPS symbol is very usefull and I can see no reason to skip that. (I'm also using Flarm as GPS source)
Did you allready give feedback to LXNAV? It's not unthinkable that this is a bug in V2.00
Old July 2nd 12, 08:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Glen Kelley[_2_]

My Mistake! Sent Email to LXNAV and received rapid response from Uros to check NAV page on V7. The 'Use GPS Data' box was unchecked, which removed the GPS status indicator. Interestingly, the NMEA data was still being passed normally through V7 to OUDIE.

I have received very rapid email support from LXNAV whenever I have sent a message to them. Excellent support.

Sorry to add to any confusion out there.
Old July 2nd 12, 10:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rhubarb[_2_]

I am having difficulties getting to like my V7

There are so many settings its a bit of a jungle.Aand changes only get saved if you remember to power it down using the knob (why?). So, many of my settings changes get lost as I forget, and just kill the power after landing. If you try and save your changes in the air then MC, bugs, ballast, altitude etc get lost so that is a no-no unfortunately

This also means that you cannot pre-setup stuff like ballast on the grid and then power down to save batteries. This is really annoying cos the workload in a glider is so high these days that it is important to get as much stuff out the way as possible

The V2.00 firmware upgrade wiped all my settings so now I am doing it again (doh!). I have no idea what it changed/fixed cos there is no release notice. But it took me a while before it finally sunk in that selecting thermal flaps was now putting the V7 into cruise mode! (fixed after finding the correct config setting eventually)

The power down using the knob takes forever (after you have done it a few times). Firstly you have to hold it down for a few seconds and *then* it wants me to keep pushing for 3 more before shutting down....zzzz

I miss a polar degradation setting. I know I can do it with Bugs but I want it permanent. So, I have selected an inferior glider from the list of polars, which is good enough I suppose, but it realy should be handled better.

I miss a volume setup which changes the vario volume automatically with airspeed. It is 2012 and I am still having to adjust the volume in different phases of the flight!

I want to see the glider battery voltage - in volts eg 12.3 . I have a Redbox, V7, Becker AR6201 and XCSoar onboard all with digital displays and yet I still cant see the voltage without compromising. Either I use 1 of the V7s configurable number fields (which I would rather to use for something else) or keep the Becker in 1 of its 3 modes. V7 - please display the volts in a dedicated field.

I probably just need to tweak the settings some more, but I am having a hard time geting the V7 to behave somewhat like my old 302. (the 302 had its own issues of course)

The averager number seems to be updated on a timer (say every 0.2sec). So it often jumps from value to value, missing some intermediate values. I believe this is wrong. I want to see all intermediate values as well to get a trend feeling. This should work OK since it is a time averaged value and so changes fairly slowly. In contrast, the push/pull diamonds on the right dance up down like a break dancer and really need to be filtered a bit more.

Its a pity the V7 cannot offer a backup navigation facility a bit more advanced then the current "take me home functionality". If my Android PDA gives up the ghost then it would be nice to be able to continue round the task using the V7. I have a Redbox supplying NMEA to the V7. Why cant I put a WP list in the RB and select GOTOs from the V7. Or perhaps the V7 sniffs the declaration. OK, this is a bit more advanced wish. But it would be really great

Could someone post a good Vario and Display setup for the V7 for flying tasks. What do you configure the Needle, number fields, etc for cruise and climb. I know somethings are a matter of taste, but others are must haves. What are your must haves?

phase Cruise Climb
needle netto vario
big number ? average vario
small number altitude altitude
averager 20 sec
smart filter ?
other important settings?
etc

Peter
Old July 3rd 12, 01:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Glen Kelley[_2_]

I understand some of your concerns, but my partner and I still think this is the best vario we have ever used - and our prior was a 302. Once the vario is set up and the settings saved, the only thing you should lose on power down are Mc Setting, bugs and ballast. These are not too hard to deal with. We power ours up 10 min prior to takeoff, configure, and then leave on for the duration.

Our current settings are

phase Cruise Climb
needle Relative Netto TE
big number Netto Average
small number altitude altitude
averager 20 sec
smart filter 2
other important settings?

TE 3 sec
Cruise/Climb on a switch on the stick

We would like to see the ability to change the filtering speed between cruise and climb. Cruise should be on a slower response. We also use a chopped tone in climb mode and a solid tone in cruise mode to help hear the difference between the two modes.

The vario is not perfect but seems to be getting steadily better. We started with 1.97, so no clue prior to that. We treat this as a smart vario and air data feed to SeeYou Mobile. It would be generally a waste to put nav data up on the limited display space. That is what SYM is for. However, it might be nice to add a third (NAV) display in the cruise/climb rotary. So now it would become cruise/climb/nav and the nav display could allow you to use bearing and distance to the nav point - something like that.
etc
Old July 3rd 12, 02:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Reitter

On Monday, July 2, 2012 5:51:03 PM UTC-4, Rhubarb wrote:

There are so many settings its a bit of a jungle.Aand changes only get saved if you remember to
power it down using the knob (why?).

Because the idea is to set it up once (while on the ground) rather than to mess with the settings in flight.

MC, bugs, ballast, altitude etc get lost so that is a no-no unfortunately

I agree, these things should be saved. I think that ground elevation will be saved eventually - I suggested that and LXNAV seemed OK with that idea.

This also means that you cannot pre-setup stuff like ballast on the grid and then power down to
save batteries.

Yes. Tell LXNAV. They're quite responsive.

I miss a polar degradation setting.

Me too.

I miss a volume setup which changes the vario volume automatically with airspeed. It is 2012
and I am still having to adjust the volume in different phases of the flight!

+1

I want to see the glider battery voltage - in volts eg 12.3 .

There will be something like that in a future version (on a separate screen).

Its a pity the V7 cannot offer a backup navigation facility a bit more advanced then the current
"take me home functionality".

Actually, if your GPS source sends waypoint coordinates, then the V7 will navigate to those. A Volkslogger with a task declaration would do this, for instance.

That said, I don't waste the display on NAV data. On a separate screen (easy to get to), sure. And that's actually something that I think might happen in the near future.

Old July 10th 12, 06:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RAS56 RAS56 is offline
Member

Just an FYI for my fellow v7 users regarding updates....when the manual says use the 115k baud rate to do the update, it really means it!

I update my v7 via my Oudie, which I had set at a baud of 19k, along with the Nano I use as a FR. Since they were all talking nice to each other, I figured to not rock the boat and attempted to do the 2.00 update at the lower speed rate figuring it might just take a bit longer. Bad plan on my part....here's what I found out.

The first of the 2 firmware files updated w/o a hitch, but the 2nd update didn't seem to be installing properly. Be advised you are apparently performing two "separate" updates when performing these...the first one is for the v7 and another file upgrades the vario indicator itself. If you look on the v7's "about" page, you'll see two different lines detailing what firmware each of these separate items is running.

After attempting at the low baud rate, I had one line reading "1.96" and another reading "2.00"...when both should have read "2.00".

I finally gave up trying to preserve my settings, did the upgrade at the 115k rate and it went off w/o a hitch...after which I was able to get everything talking to each other again.

As to the up thread discussion on a nav option with the v7, I have mulled over the idea of getting a Colibri II FR in lieu of using my Nano. It has all the FR capabilities of the Nano with the added bonus of being a rudimentary nav system with a display were the primary to croak.

Rob
Old July 10th 12, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, July 10, 2012 12:54:19 PM UTC-5, RAS56 wrote:
[...]

Rob, I think you need to go ahead and get the Colibri II and then donate the unneeded Nano to one of the student pilots at your home field...

Robert
Old July 11th 12, 04:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RAS56 RAS56 is offline
Member

Rob, I think you need to go ahead and get the Colibri II and then donate the unneeded Nano to one of the student pilots at your home field...

Robert

Hey Robert, think so? ;-)

There's no doubt that that Colibri is a nifty looking piece of gear, definitely worth a closer look in the off season...could maybe work a deal with you for the Nano then if you're interested.

Then again, I'm running into more and folks that fly with multiple loggers "just in case"...

Get that PPL out of the way and then start making plans to come up to Dalhart with us next year!

Regards,

Rob S.
ZAP
Old August 15th 12, 03:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bastoune

Quick update from the LX Nav website. A new firmware V2.02 is now available:

V7 Firmware news
Version 2.02

Implementation for flarm dataport spec. ver.6 (undirected warnings A/C mode)
Implemented Flarm status indication
added polar for Silent 2 targa and JS1-21m

Version 2.01

Implemented support for V7 Bluetooth module (external module)
Implemented warning for C/A mode
Some compatibility issues with XCSoar
faster power off
fixed some minor bugs

Version 2.00

New smart vario filters
improved needle initialisation
Auto baudrate
fixed some minor bugs

It should be also noted that LXNAV has created several "Firmware loading" software that can be used on PDA's, PNA's, etc! No need to log the laptop at the field. A simple PNA should now do the trick. Well done!

Bastoune
Old October 28th 12, 03:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I Flew all 2012 with a V7 and never got the settings to my liking so I'm looking at possible other problems. The Temperature Offset reverts to 28.7F regardless of how many times I change it. I haven't yet updated the s/w due to PC issues. Any thoughts on the Temp Offset?
~Bruce

LXNAV V7 - Reviews? David Reitter Soaring 10 October 21st 14 12:41 AM
New LXNAV LX9000 Overview Video Paul Remde Soaring 0 April 21st 12 01:33 AM
LXNAV V7 Paul Remde Soaring 2 November 2nd 11 01:31 AM
LXNAV Nano and LX 9000 Overview Videos Available Paul Remde Soaring 3 February 28th 11 02:58 PM
HELP! Need offical Blanik L-13 Canopy Strap John Scott Soaring 4 March 3rd 08 06:03 AM