For Sale: Duo Discus Turbo

Old July 25th 05, 03:20 PM
Ruud

Default For Sale: Duo Discus Turbo

Have a look at:
http://home.planet.nl/~holsw007/duodiscus/

The glider is currently located at the Dutch Soaring Center "Terlet"
in the Netherlands.

For more information surf to the web site or contact Ruud Holswilder
at
Old July 25th 05, 05:26 PM
Bruce

Ruud wrote:
Have a look at:
http://home.planet.nl/~holsw007/duodiscus/

The glider is currently located at the Dutch Soaring Center "Terlet"
in the Netherlands.

For more information surf to the web site or contact Ruud Holswilder
at

Why sell such a nice ship?

--
Bruce Greeff
Std Cirrus #57
Old July 25th 05, 05:35 PM
Stefan

Bruce wrote:

Why sell such a nice ship?

Right they a Get rid of that Duo and buy a DG 1000 instead! :-P

Stefan
Old July 25th 05, 07:32 PM
Ruud

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 18:35:49 +0200, Stefan
wrote:

Right they a Get rid of that Duo and buy a DG 1000 instead! :-P

If you want to buy a club work horse, the DG1000 is a good option.
There is one for sale in NL, see the Schempp-Hirth pinboard.

If you like a real race horse for long X-country flights, you better
buy a Duo.
If you don't like outlandings, buy a Duo Discus T.

Old July 30th 05, 09:01 AM
nimbus

Some remarks/questions:
1=2EBut the price of nearly 140 k=80 seems very high to me.
2=2EIs it possible to upgrade a DG 1000 toward a DG1000 Turbo?
3=2E Why your remark about outlanding? Is the DG1000 very bad for
outlanding?

Old July 30th 05, 10:49 AM
Bruce

nimbus wrote:
Some remarks/questions:
1.But the price of nearly 140 k€ seems very high to me.
2.Is it possible to upgrade a DG 1000 toward a DG1000 Turbo?
3. Why your remark about outlanding? Is the DG1000 very bad for
outlanding?

Hi Ian

I assume the comment was simply that the turbo option would allow you to get
home - and the DG1000 offered does not have the iron thermal in the back.

From what I have read the undercarriage on the DG is extremely robust and well
suited to outlandings - derigging a 20m two seater is going to be a sweaty job
in most cases...

DG are offering a "T" option on the 1000 - and new prices seem to be
comparable,the DG engine management appears simpler - but having never played
with either I can't comment. Now if either came with the extremely useful
ability to launch unaided that option it would be nice.

The DG1000 also comes with a choice of 18 and 20m wingspan, the former endowing
it with Aerobatic rating...

I suppose it comes down to horses for courses. the DG is more versatile, the Duo
is more focussed, and arguably better cross country.

Cheers
Bruce
--
Bruce Greeff
Std Cirrus #57
Old July 30th 05, 11:15 AM
Ruud

On 30 Jul 2005 01:01:24 -0700, "nimbus"
wrote:

Some remarks/questions:
1.But the price of nearly 140 k€ seems very high to me.

Just try buying a new one with all equipment and see where you end.
Apart from waiting 2 years, you end up at least 10% higher excluding
increasing prices.

2.Is it possible to upgrade a DG 1000 toward a DG1000 Turbo?

No

3. Why your remark about outlanding? Is the DG1000 very bad for
outlanding?

The DG1000 is an excellent ship for outlandings! (the new DuoDiscusX
also)
The question is if you like outlandings.
A turbo gives you the opportunity to fly x-country all the time
without having a retrieve crew.
Old August 3rd 05, 08:16 PM
Stefan

Ruud wrote:

If you want to buy a club work horse, the DG1000 is a good option.

If you like a real race horse for long X-country flights, you better
buy a Duo.

Things I hate about the Duo:

The cockpit is a joke. Despite it's roomy as my saloon, there's no way
to carry even a simple water bottle without permanently fearing that it
will slip under the seat and jam some controls. Besides, I hate the
smell of my co-pilot's feet.

The spoilers are a joke for such a heavy glider. I have done outlandings
at fields which I wouldn't want to try in a Duo.

I forces me to abandon a good thermal at cloud base, when the cloud
above indicates that there are still 2000 metres of good climb, which
would allow me to cross that blue hole in front of me.

And, probably the most annoying thing: I'm not allowed to do that
occasional loop, just for fun, during a cross country flight.

The DG 1000 my club has ordered will be delivered only next spring, so I
don't know yet what I'll hate about that one. :-)

Stefan
Old July 25th 05, 07:23 PM
Ruud

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 18:26:37 +0200, Bruce
wrote:

Why sell such a nice ship?

It sure is a nice ship, but the new Duo Discus X is just a little
better ;-)
So I ordered a new Duo Discus XT.

BTW the old Duo's can be modified with the winglets.
Old August 3rd 05, 03:45 PM
John Galloway

I too have rigged a Duo T solo from a Cobra trailer
with a Cobra rigging aid. It can be done. The wing
is very heavy but that isn't the main problem I found.

If the rigging ground is rough and grass then the rigging
aid does not roll well at the point that you are trying
to pull the flat wing into the fuselage. It tends
to tilt and dig into the wing surfaces. The little
stabilizer wheel do not help and actually tend to get
caught in the grass or ground undulations. A rope
to pull on the rigging aid axle helps. On firm smooth
ground it would be very much easier.

Also everything in a two seater is just plain bigger
and things that are easy in little gliders are much
more awkward - such as that I could not reach over
the wing sufficiently to lift it and simultaneously
pull it inwards as the drag pins are inserted - like
I can easily do in a little glider.

Having said that - buy a Duo - get some help to rig
it - and appreciate what a lovely glider it is.

John Galloway

At 13:18 03 August 2005, Ruud wrote:
On 2 Aug 2005 21:18:04 -0500, Bob Korves
wrote:

We have
assembled ours with 2 people and without rigging aids
(other than wing
stands) numerous times.

In the long run that will ruin your back!

3 people make it easier. 4 mostly get in the
way...

I can rig my duo all by myself without any help and
without any heavy
lifting in light wind conditions.
At stronger wind conditions I need someone to stabilize
the wing
dolly.
The only lifting I need to do is rolling the wing panels
out of the
trailer into the wingdolly, but I'm working on a solution
for that.
See the video on the web site.