White soot on exhaust

Old April 18th 04, 04:28 AM
R. Wubben

Default White soot on exhaust

While taking my new to me'62 Cessna 172 with an O-300 (with about 75
hours on it SMOH with Millenium cylinders), I decided to start leaning
as I should on my last flight.
During the next preflight I noticed a whitish soot around the exhaust
and on the cowl just adjacent to the stack during the preflight.
Looking up on r.a.o for "white exhaust soot" I came across posts from
several years ago about the white soot being a side effect of leaning.

Does this sound right?
Am I leaning too much? (I'm still trying to figure out the lean and
rich of peak thing, especially for this particular airplane that I
have about 18 hours in).

Thanks,
Ryan Wubben
Madison, WI
Old April 18th 04, 05:12 AM
C J Campbell

I think you are leaning too much, but you might also want to remove the cowl
and look around the valves for similar soot leading away from them. If you
have a leaky valve you will sooner or later get a cracked cylinder.

Old April 18th 04, 09:50 PM
John

The white soot is from the Lead in the fuel. If you run too rich or
are burning oil you will not see the white deposits only black soot.
In this case a white deposit is a GOOD thing.

A long long time ago you looked at the exhaust pipe of a car to see if
it was burning oil. If it was white you had a good engine. Then came
unleaded fuel and now all look black.

Old April 19th 04, 05:57 AM
tony roberts

I fly a 172 with an 0300D
Last summer I purchased an EI Engine monitor.
It monitors EGT and CHT on all 6, plus several other functions.
After purchasing it, it led me to a problem valve, and it taught me how
to lean my particular engine in every phase of flight.
It has given me a confidence in my engine that I never had before.
I strongly suggest that you invesigate one as the next purchase for your
aeroplane

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL