Question about auto gas STC

Old June 9th 04, 04:44 PM

Robert M. Gary wrote:
: I wouldn't bet a plug nickel on your last statement.

: I wish you'd bet more because I want to get a new GPS for my plane. I
: can only speak from years of owning a Chief with no mixture control.
: Shutting down (with mag switch) putting gas in, turning the mags back
: on, and turning the prop 1/8 turn (no starter), jumping in and flying
: away.

Certainly believable with impulse couplings. They fire *after* TDC, and are
spring-loaded to have good spark. If there's burnable fuel in the cylinder, a slow
prop turn past the mag *click* could certainly light it off.

* The prime directive of Linux: *
* - learn what you don't know, *
* - teach what you do. *
* (Just my 20 USm$) *

Old June 9th 04, 06:19 PM
G.R. Patterson III

"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

"Dave Stadt" wrote in message gy.com...
"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
om...

Just don't touch the prop aftewards (unless you want it to start).
When I had the Chief we had to shut it down with the mags. Usually a
20 degree turn on the prop was all we needed to hand start it. Now, if
some line guy were to "move" the prop, he'd have a hand full of his
hands (if the mags didn't ground). At least with a mixture airplane
you shouldn't have as much fireable fuel in the cylinders.

I wouldn't bet a plug nickel on your last statement.

I wish you'd bet more because I want to get a new GPS for my plane. I
can only speak from years of owning a Chief with no mixture control.

I think you should reconsider. The "last statement" there was something to the effect
that an aircraft with a mixture control wouldn't have much gas in the cylinders after
being shut down. While you are correct that it "shouldn't" have, Dave's point is that
it isn't a good idea to count on that being the case. He isn't about to bet on the
engine not starting (or at least kicking) when the prop is moved.

George Patterson
None of us is as dumb as all of us.
Old June 10th 04, 01:12 AM
Dave Stadt

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
m...
"Dave Stadt" wrote in message

gy.com...
"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
om...
"Dave Stadt" wrote in message

om...
"G. Burkhart" wrote in message
newspwwc.8392$HG.7233@attbi_s53...
"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
The J-3 didn't. I believe one of the Chief's didn't. I think

mixture
was an optional item on all the 40's 65hp planes. Even when

you
had
mixture, it didn't do anything on the ground. It only effected

you
at
cruise power.

Thanks, all, for the info about mixture-less aircraft. I've

only
flown
Cub once, and (apparently) never noticed the lack of a mixture

control.
(I
don't think I ever touched the throttle -- the guy in back was

working
the
power...) And I sure had no idea that this feature (or lack

thereof)
was
universal to so many small-engined, older airplanes.

There's a few features that older aircraft don't have. Some with

the
Stromberg (?) carbs have them safety wired fully rich and use the

mag
switch
to shut down. It's kind of like shutting off a computer by just

pulling
the
power cord out of the wall.

Actually it is like shutting off your car. Not a big deal by any

means.

Just don't touch the prop aftewards (unless you want it to start).
When I had the Chief we had to shut it down with the mags. Usually a
20 degree turn on the prop was all we needed to hand start it. Now, if
some line guy were to "move" the prop, he'd have a hand full of his
hands (if the mags didn't ground). At least with a mixture airplane
you shouldn't have as much fireable fuel in the cylinders.

-Robert

I wouldn't bet a plug nickel on your last statement.

I wish you'd bet more because I want to get a new GPS for my plane. I
can only speak from years of owning a Chief with no mixture control.
Shutting down (with mag switch) putting gas in, turning the mags back
on, and turning the prop 1/8 turn (no starter), jumping in and flying
away.

-Robert

I guess my comment went way, way over your head. What I am saying is that
if you think an engine shut down with an idle cutoff mixture control won't
have enough fuel in a cylinder to take off an arm you are kidding yourself.