24M of Cocaine in a crashed plane

Old December 21st 04, 03:59 PM
Jim Fisher

Default 24M of Cocaine in a crashed plane

I don't normally post crash stories but this one seemed just too bizarre to
not post here.

From http://www.sltrib.com/nationworld/ci_2492440 (but I first saw it in my
little local Alabama newspaper)

"WHEELING, W.Va. - Authorities called to the scene of a weekend plane crash
found no people - dead or alive - but they did find $24 million worth of
cocaine.
Federal authorities were seeking the pilot, identified as Eugene N.
Cobbs, on a charge of possession with intent to distribute cocaine, U.S.
Attorney Thomas E. Johnston said Monday.
The Piper Aerostar twin-engine plane crashed in a wooded area around
midnight Saturday near the Wheeling-Ohio County Airport, said James Peters,
a spokesman for the Federal Aviation Administration.
Authorities found about 327 pounds of cocaine packaged in blocks and
another 193 pounds turned up Monday in the plane's nose compartment,
Johnston said. He estimated the street value at about $24 million.
Authorities were searching for a man believed to be Cobbs who was picked
up by a motorist near the airport's entrance."

More details he http://www.wtov9.com/news/4012517/detail.html

On top of all these troubles, the poor feller has an expired medical!

Name : COBBS, EUGENE NICHOLAS
Airman's Address : (look it up yourself if you really wanna know)
LOS ANGELES, CA, 90034-6403
FAA Region : Western/Pacific
Date of Medical : Nov, 2001
Class of Medical : 3
Expiration of Class 3 privileges : Nov, 2004
Airman Certificates : Private Pilot
Airplane Single Engine Land

--
Jim Fisher

Old December 21st 04, 06:21 PM
steve

Thats a little over $48000 per kilo....damn...im in the wrong industry
"Jim Fisher" wrote in message
.. .
I don't normally post crash stories but this one seemed just too bizarre to
not post here.

From http://www.sltrib.com/nationworld/ci_2492440 (but I first saw it in
my little local Alabama newspaper)

[...]

Date of Medical : Nov, 2001

Old December 21st 04, 09:30 PM
Dean Wilkinson

"Bob Chilcoat" wrote in message
Not to mention no ME rating. At least we now know how he could afford an
Aerostar. :-)

And his medical was expired.... one month overdue.

Old December 21st 04, 09:43 PM
Bob Gardner

Hey, if you're going to spend a bunch of years in the federal pokey, why
renew your medical??

Bob Gardner

.. .

From http://www.sltrib.com/nationworld/ci_2492440 (but I first saw it in
[...]

Date of Medical : Nov, 2001

Old December 21st 04, 10:15 PM
Jim Fisher

"Bob Chilcoat" wrote in message
Not to mention no ME rating.

Oooh. I didn't catch that. Man, this guy is in Really Big trouble with the
FAA.

At least we now know how he could afford an
Aerostar. :-)

Ackshully, the plane is owned by some feller south of me in Auburn, Alabama
according to the reports.

--
Jim Fisher

Old December 21st 04, 10:22 PM
Dean Wilkinson

"Jim Fisher" wrote in message
. ..
"Bob Chilcoat" wrote in message
Not to mention no ME rating.

Oooh. I didn't catch that. Man, this guy is in Really Big trouble with

the
FAA.

At least we now know how he could afford an
Aerostar. :-)

Ackshully, the plane is owned by some feller south of me in Auburn,

Alabama
according to the reports.

--
Jim Fisher

You mean it USED to be owned by that feller...

Old December 21st 04, 10:28 PM
Jim Fisher

"Dean Wilkinson" wrote in message

You mean it USED to be owned by that feller...

Snicker.

--
Jim Fisher

Old December 21st 04, 11:43 PM
Ditch

Thats a little over $48000 per kilo....damn...im in the wrong industry

Well...the "industry" standard (from what I have been told by the dudes who do
the catching) is one plane in ten gets caught. So, the chances are pretty good
you will get away with it for a bit.

Not like the old days where Pablo Escobar was running a couple of 727's
delevering the stuff.

-John
*You are nothing until you have flown a Douglas, Lockheed, Grumman or North
American*
Old December 21st 04, 11:59 PM
Randy

Given the complications of the Aero-Stars fuel system I wonder if he
had gas in it when he pranged it?