A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Externally mounted GoPros okay?

Old December 30th 14, 07:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Lewis[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Externally mounted GoPros okay?

I have seen some wonderful videos made with GoPros stuck on the outside of gliders. Does the FAA have anything to say about the legality of such externally mounted cameras on aircraft certificated as other than experimental?
Old December 30th 14, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RL
external usenet poster

Yes, in fact they do. This article from AvWeb addresses the issue and includes a link to the official guidance from the FFA.

As quoted from the AvWeb article and verified by the FAA Memorandum, "Basically, the memo says camera mounts aren't major alterations since they don't appreciably change flight characteristics, performance, weight and balance or basic airworthiness. They also don't represent changes to the aircraft's basic type certification, so no STC is necessary."

http://www.avweb.com/blogs/insider/C...-222739-1.html

Bob
Old December 30th 14, 09:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, December 30, 2014 12:13:41 PM UTC-8, RL wrote:
Yes, in fact they do. This article from AvWeb addresses the issue and includes a link to the official guidance from the FFA.

As quoted from the AvWeb article and verified by the FAA Memorandum, "Basically, the memo says camera mounts aren't major alterations since they don't appreciably change flight characteristics, performance, weight and balance or basic airworthiness. They also don't represent changes to the aircraft's basic type certification, so no STC is necessary."

Bob

Thanks - I particularly liked the "don't be stupid" part:

The memo further says the FAA doesn't support such attachments and should one come loose, the ever-present FAR 91.13 cudgel--careless or reckless operation--is available for use. And that's as it should be. The act of mounting the camera is not, of itself, careless or reckless; losing it because you didn't do it right might be. Again, case by case.

I made a copy of the FAA memo (link in the article) to take with me to the airport - just in case it comes up.

9B
Old December 30th 14, 10:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Lewis[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, December 30, 2014 1:29:54 PM UTC-8, Andy Blackburn wrote:
On Tuesday, December 30, 2014 12:13:41 PM UTC-8, RL wrote:

Bob

Thanks - I particularly liked the "don't be stupid" part:

The memo further says the FAA doesn't support such attachments and should one come loose, the ever-present FAR 91.13 cudgel--careless or reckless operation--is available for use. And that's as it should be. The act of mounting the camera is not, of itself, careless or reckless; losing it because you didn't do it right might be. Again, case by case.

I made a copy of the FAA memo (link in the article) to take with me to the airport - just in case it comes up.

9B

Good information. Thank you.

Seems likely there are places on the outside of a glider that might be unwise to mount a camera. Most are pretty obvious I guess - on a control surface, right in front of a control surface, etc..

Do I feel I know all the unwise places? No. So, I will avoid the temptation to mount a camera on the outside of a glider. YMMV.
Old December 30th 14, 10:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill T
external usenet poster

The GoPro is "large" and should not be in front of a control surface. Depending on the surface, suction cups work great. I would not like to use the tape stuck on mount on a glider finish.

Better use for external use on gliders are small flat,"key fob" sized cameras, low profile, use good double stick foam tape. They cannot normally be remotely controlled, turn it on before launch and forget it.

If you lose one in flight, it's only $10-$20 and ounces falling, not $400 and a half pound falling.
BillT