Oshkosh questions

Old February 18th 05, 11:43 PM
Jimmy B.

Default Oshkosh questions

I'm thinking of making my first trip to Oshkosh this year.

How far in advance do I have to plan this? For example, how quickly do
the local hotels fill up? (Haven't made up my mind if I will camp or do
the hotel thing.)

Do I need a reservation to park the airplane? If so, how quickly do
they fill up?

Not being someone who needs to see everything, how many days should I
plan on to get the true experience?

I'm sure I'll have more questions to follow, so please bear with me and
thank you for your useful inputs.
Old February 19th 05, 01:49 AM
Kyle Boatright

"Jimmy B." wrote in message
.net...
I'm thinking of making my first trip to Oshkosh this year.

How far in advance do I have to plan this? For example, how quickly do
the local hotels fill up? (Haven't made up my mind if I will camp or do
the hotel thing.)

Hotels? The good ones (i.e. nearby and inexpensive) are probably pretty
full. Openings will come up as the date approaches, but you'll need to keep
an eye out to find one. Also, consider the dorms at the local college.
Personally, I like to camp, but I'm a masochist.

Do I need a reservation to park the airplane? If so, how quickly do they
fill up?

You can't get reservations. I don't think they have filled up the field in
the last several years. A good strategy is to time your arrival for mid
morning one day towards the middle or end of the show. Lots of people are
headed home by then, so you can get a good parking place. Of course, there
is more to see at the beginning of the event. Some folks can't take a whole
week to display their whizbang 500...

Not being someone who needs to see everything, how many days should I plan
on to get the true experience?

If you want to see the ultralights, the EAA Museum, a couple of airshows,
all the flightlines from homebuilt, to helicopter, to antique, to warbird,
to ultralight, you'll need 3 days, and you'll be walking yourself to death.
If you want to attend any seminars or take a serious look inside the display
buildings, add more time. That said, I like to plan 5 day trips to Osh.
One day to get there (before noon), one to get home, and 3 on the field. I
get overwhelmed with more than 3 days.

Old February 19th 05, 01:53 AM
Montblack

"Jimmy B."
I'm thinking of making my first trip to Oshkosh this year.

Most of the info you're looking for is here.
http://www.airventure.org/2005/plann...e_to_stay.html

Dorms in town fill up early - free bus takes you the few miles over to the
airport. Last year about 800 of the 2,200 UW-OSH dorms were under
renovation. $44 per night gives you 2 beds. Bring a $15 pedestal fan!!

4 days is fine. Then 4 days the next year and 4 days the next year ...this
will be my 3rd year.
(I have yet to see the Museum, the old airfield, or spend enough time at the
Ultralight pasture.

Oshkosh will pop up here a couple of more times between now and July g.
Keep posting and asking.

Montblack

Old February 19th 05, 03:23 AM
Paul

No more than 3 days for the first time. You will be exausted !

Paul

- - - - - - - -

. ..

Old February 19th 05, 03:35 AM
Paul

Plan no more than 3 full days for the first time. You will be exausted !!

Paul

- - - - - - - - - -

Old February 19th 05, 04:30 AM
TaxSrv

I'm thinking of making my first trip to Oshkosh this year.

How far in advance do I have to plan this? For example, how

quickly do
the local hotels fill up? (Haven't made up my mind if I will camp

or do
the hotel thing.)

Most times I've flown in to OSH in old 15-Lima, and nothing beats
that. But driving there, you'll find that motel reservations (and
price) are no biggie, even on an ad hoc decision to motor there if you
stay far enough out. I've thus stayed at motels near Madison or
Milwaukee, and the commute is fairly easy. Last automobile trip I
stayed in Sheboygan, at a brand new motel of moderate price. It's
also a pretty, eclectic little town with some nice restaurants.
Important is arguably staying overnight someplace that's well remote
of what's happening at OSH. Attitude adjustment in an odd way, pure
relaxation if you will, til' the next morning's commute to OSH to
repeat the cycle of what you experience at Airventure.

Fred F.

Old February 19th 05, 04:41 AM
Dave Stadt

"Jimmy B." wrote in message
.net...
I'm thinking of making my first trip to Oshkosh this year.

How far in advance do I have to plan this? For example, how quickly do
the local hotels fill up? (Haven't made up my mind if I will camp or do
the hotel thing.)

Hotels in Oshkosh, Appleton and Fond du Loc are booked now. You will need
to go quite a ways further out to get something. There are last minute
cancellations and a place on the grounds that will find you a place to stay
during OSH although you might have to move every night.

Old February 19th 05, 05:31 AM
Montblack

("Dave Stadt" wrote)
Hotels in Oshkosh, Appleton and Fond du Loc are booked now. You will need
to go quite a ways further out to get something. There are last minute
cancellations and a place on the grounds that will find you a place to
stay
during OSH although you might have to move every night.

The dorm was not a bad option IMHO. Mine had a microwave and a fridge.

You do have to prop the door open a wee bit at night for some circulation,
even with the fan running - helps get the room cooled down quicker.

Montblack

Old February 19th 05, 05:35 AM
Dave S

Hotels? That was a question for a few months ago, as others have said..
they are pretty much booked at this point.

Fly in camping has gotten ALMOST full (95% but never actually closed,
IIRC). The fly in parking for folks who dont camp on field does cap out
sometimes.

One person gave a recommendation of 5 days.. 1 in transit each way and 3
on field may not apply to you, depending on where you are. What I mean
is coming in they close the field during the airshow in the afternoon,
then they have "the exodus" to allow mass departures after the airshow.
Then they run inbounds until sundown. Once they close at sundown, its
CLOSED to inbounds. If you live a long ways away you might want to make
it a 2 day trip getting there, or leave VERY early in the morning.

I flew from Houston in an Arrow, and we left midmorning and we already
knew that we wouldn't get into OSH in time so we had planned a stay in
St Louis, then pushed the rest of the way in the next morning. We showed
up on a thursday, and folks had already started to leave, and we got to
park in the 3rd row of the North 40.

3 of us came in the plane. We mailed the heavy stuff (up to 75# per box
- 3 boxes - Stove, lantern, folding chairs, tents, etc) and took the
clothes, sleeping bags, pillows and tarps with us.. so even if our stuff
didn't make it, we could make due with what was in the plane. Save the
boxes.. mail it back. Get/bring some cheap "throwaway" luggage wheeler
to carry the stuff the mile or so you will need to.

If you dont own the plane, I would reserve it NOW. I would talk to the
FBO and get something in writing that if the plane is down for
maintenance you get first dibs on a replacement (fat chance, but it cant
hurt).

Read the following:
http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/182691-1.html
It's not directed at you, well.. I hope not.. but its required reading
in my mind. When it comes to the flying, be on your game: Altitude,
airspeed and being able to "spot land" where you should. Be practiced at
keeping your speed up until you HAVE to slow down.

Enough for now..
Dave

Old February 19th 05, 05:37 AM
Dave S

Add the following to the reading list too.. read it first if you can.
http://www.avweb.com/news/osh2002/181590-1.html

Dave