Jay's Fruit Diet - Update

Old July 6th 05, 04:14 PM
Jay Honeck

"Pilot's diet?" Over the past few years, between the two of us, my wife
and
I have shed about 60 lbs. That translates to an extra hour of cruise fuel
endurance when we're flying together in the Arrow with our usual mountain
of
baggage.

Way to go!

How'd you do it?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 6th 05, 04:46 PM

On 6-Jul-2005, "Jay Honeck" wrote:

Way to go!

How'd you do it?

Diet, exercise, and patience.
--
-Elliott Drucker
Old July 6th 05, 05:34 PM
Jim Burns

Na.... no infighting... just great sense of humours. After all, in the land
of OSH, beer, American Champion, beer, The Hay Bros, beer, Mitchell, Bong,
Basler, beer, Slayton, Sholl, Whittman, beer, The Packers, beer and where
people wear cheese on their heads, do you think that there could ever be any
infighting??? ) Well, maybe a little between beers.
Jim

Old July 6th 05, 08:02 PM
ShawnD2112

You made me laugh out loud with that one, Jay! A whole kid!

I did it pretty much the same way you did. Made myself smart about food and
how the body uses it and realized the whole low-fat but high carb diet I was
eating was all wrong. Didn't go the Atkins route because that's a bit
extreme, but I realized that the balance of what I took in wasn't what my
body really needed to be healthy. So I set a few rules and goals for
myself.

Rule Number One: Don't take any rule or goal too seriously! Have fun but
with an eye to shedding some weight and being healthy. Weeks I was pretty
disciplines, weekends I gave myself a break and loosened up on the rules.

2. Aim for a pound off per week. Some weeks I made it, some weeks I
didn't. Oh, well. I got there in the end.
3. Eat food like we're meant to. Humans didn't evolve to eat processed
food. If the cavemen didn't eat it, then I won't (refer to rule 1). This
means eating stuff in as natural a state as possible. If it comes in a box
or a jar, I usually don't eat it.
4. Minimize bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, and cereal because I simply don't
need as much of it as I was eating
5. Bulk up on veggies, 5 colors a day if possible. You can eat as many
veggies as you want and they're still good for you.
6. I wasn't going to be a food nazi and bore my friends rigid with talk
about dietary habits (this made sure I still had friends to notice the
weight loss!)
7. Eat smaller meals more frequently. Breakfast, snack on an apple at
1030, lunch, snack on a banana at 1630, dinner; that sort of thing. That
way I'm not so hungry when meal time comes so I eat better and less.

There were some other bits and pieces in there but that was the bulk of it.
The motivation was watching the belt and collar on my shirts get too big. I
went from tight 36" pants down to loose 32". I'm now on the smallest notch
of a belt I nearly gave to Goodwill because I couldn't get it on.

Started at about 200 lbs and got down to a low of 157. I've put some of it
back on because I've come off some of my discipline, but I'm back on it and
losing it again. This was all without a lick of exercise, by the way.

Like I said, I'd rather put that 40 lbs in the fuel tank (or into
performance)! That was enough motivation for me!!

Good luck with your habits. Sounds like you're on to a winner!

Shawn

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
I lost 40 pounds over the last couple of years. The Pitts is definitely
more spritely at the top of the verticals than it used to be. I can do
some cool gyro stuff I don't remember doing before!

FORTY POUNDS? Wow, that's, like, a whole kid!

Congrats, man. How'd you do it?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 6th 05, 08:07 PM
Jay Honeck

Started at about 200 lbs and got down to a low of 157. I've put some of
it back on because I've come off some of my discipline, but I'm back on it
and losing it again. This was all without a lick of exercise, by the way.

How tall are you? If I got down to 157, I'd be in the hospital!

(I'm 6' tall...)

I'm trying to maintain a good balance with exercise, too. Working out every
day with a 14-year old keeps you in pretty good shape! (I equalize his
excess energy by making him work out right after he gets up. Heh, heh,
heh... :-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 6th 05, 10:16 PM
ShawnD2112

That's actually a much better way to do it. I'm 5'10" and realized, once
I'd gotten down to that weight, that I was a 98 lb weakling just dying to
get out! Started doing some exercise after that and it's amazing how I saw
results when in the past I'd never seen any (covered by a thick layer of
fat, you see!!)

Shawn

Old July 6th 05, 11:25 PM
Gary Drescher

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
How tall are you? If I got down to 157, I'd be in the hospital!

(I'm 6' tall...)

At 6', 157# would give you a BMI of 21.3, which is right in the middle of
what the CDC designates as the normal range. To be underweight, you'd need
to weigh less than 137#.
http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/bmi/calc-bmi.htm

I'm trying to maintain a good balance with exercise, too.

Yup, that's important.

--Gary

Old July 7th 05, 12:55 AM
Peter Duniho

"Gary Drescher" wrote in message
At 6', 157# would give you a BMI of 21.3, which is right in the middle of
what the CDC designates as the normal range. To be underweight, you'd need
to weigh less than 137#.
http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/bmi/calc-bmi.htm

IMHO, all that shows is how silly the whole BMI thing is.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, of course, but I simply cannot see
being 138 pounds and six feet tall as healthy. IMHO, that's heading into
anorexic territory.

IMHO, one of the problems with the BMI is that it relates weight with the
square of your height, not the cube. But of course, volume increases as the
cube, not the square (and weight is closely related to volume). So, the
taller you are, the skinnier you have to be, proportionally speaking, in
order to stay within the approved BMI range.

Few people would describe me as overly skinny anymore, but most would
(foolishly ) still call me slender, in spite of a few extra pounds around
the middle I've been carrying. Yet, according to the BMI calculation, I'm
well into "Overweight" territory at 26.2. For me to be smack in the middle
of the "Normal" range, I'd have to get my weight *below* my late teenage
weight, when I *was* downright skin and bones.

Pete

Old July 7th 05, 02:04 AM
Gary Drescher

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message
"Gary Drescher" wrote in message
At 6', 157# would give you a BMI of 21.3, which is right in the middle of
what the CDC designates as the normal range. To be underweight, you'd
need to weigh less than 137#.
http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/bmi/calc-bmi.htm

IMHO, all that shows is how silly the whole BMI thing is.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, of course, but I simply cannot
see being 138 pounds and six feet tall as healthy. IMHO, that's heading
into anorexic territory.

IMHO, one of the problems with the BMI is that it relates weight with the
square of your height, not the cube.

Dunno. The CDC claims that their specified BMI ranges correlate with
mortality and morbidity. But I haven't reviewed the studies myself, so I
don't have an independent opinion on the question.

--Gary

Old July 7th 05, 02:58 AM
Montblack

("Peter Duniho" wrote)
[trimmed down]
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, of course, but I simply cannot
see being 138 pounds and six feet tall as healthy. IMHO, that's heading
into anorexic territory

That's right about where Dad was when he went into the service in the mid
1940's. I bet that described half of the enlisted men (18 year olds) at boot
camp that year - 1946.

Montblack