How common are aircraft partnerships compared to outright ownerships?

Old August 11th 05, 01:10 AM
S Herman

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 22:44:58 +0000 (UTC),
(John Clear) wrote:

I fly out of West Valley Flying Club (
http://www.wvfc.org), which
is one of the biggest (the biggest?) flying clubs.

Wow, those are some high rates for 70's-80's 172's.
The club is $600 year, so if you fly 100 hours a year ( a lot for most
pilots who don't own their own) that adds $6/HR to your $90/HR rate.
My clubs 172's of that vintage are $70/HR wet, just raised from $67.
Yes, we have no-sub insurance. At 50 hours per year you're paying
$102/HR for an older 172. Our Piper Dakota 235HP of that era runs
right at $100/hr. We are in North San Diego County. I can rent
1999-2000 172 SP's at the KCRQ FBO for $99/HR, course then you need
your own insurance.
Old August 12th 05, 07:31 PM
Oracle

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 10:09:19 -0500, Gig 601XL Builder wrote:

"Peter R." wrote in message
Newps wrote:

Peter R. wrote:

I have about 450 hours in a C172SP and I would probably need a couple
of hours of instruction/flying just to become familiar with carb heat
usage if
I hypothetically needed to rent an older C172 model.

Pull out the carb heat below the green arc. Push it in aboove the
green arc. There. You're checked out.

Thanks. If it is really that easy, then why are there so many NTSB
accident reports that list carb icing as a contributory cause?

Because there are a lot of folks out there who forget. Many of these are
those that switch between injected and carbureted engines. No amount of
check ride is going to make you remember. That is why we have checklists
and the checklists are different for each aircraft. It's no different
that those that have non mechanical failure gear up landings.

Not to mention some that don't think it's needed because they took off on
a hot day. August issue of AOPA Training has a pretty good write up on
carb heat. Of course, they also address the down side of forgetting to
turn it back off too. Seems there is a large number of accidents steming
from that as well. Long story short, carb heat steals HP and yes, you
really can ice your carb on a 90+ F degree day.

Old August 15th 05, 07:24 PM
Dave Butler

http://www.ez.org/carb_ice.htm