Basic Training Gliders

Old December 5th 05, 01:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Basic Training Gliders

At 01:18 05 December 2005, Bob Korves wrote:

Yes, the DG trimmer control is cr@p, in all the DG's
I have flown. Also
the very stiff aileron control in the 1000 -- takes
both hands on the stick
to enter a thermal.

The front seat of the 1000 is quite comfortable, but
the back seat is like
sitting on a toilet.

The Duo has a few minor faults, but the visibility
is superb from both
cockpits and the handling is light and well balanced,
nore like a single
seater.
-Bob Korves

Bob,

The ailerons on our DG1000 are not at all heavy, and
it has the most nicely co-ordinated controls of any
two seater glider I have ever flown (Duo is also nice).
Have you tried oiling the hinges?

Derek Copeland

Old December 5th 05, 01:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Derek
Try adjusting the sitting position to suit you before you fly in the thing.
Most instructors tend to hop and fly without getting things right. The
number of times I have people whinging about the **** poor this and the crap
that and I find that they havn't even noticed something is adjustable to
alleviate that issue.
The rear seat of the 1000 is adjustable up and down. I am 6'4 and have no
trouble sitting too low in the back of our 1000 if I don't raise the seat.
In fact the first time I flew it from the rear I assumed I would need the
seat bottomed out. Big mistake! I couldn't see and could only just reach the
rudder pedals. I felt like I was in a pit. Next flight adjusted the seat
till my head just cleared the canopy and things where totally different. Far
better vis

Anyways, I don't believe there ever will be the perfect trainer. Too many
opinions and not enough manufacturers to ever sort this issue out. Its all a
compromise.

But hows this for a spec. ( Feel free to add )
1.Benign enough that a student could learn to fly it and not get into
trouble after only 10 flights but with the flick off a switch becomes the
spin trainer from Hell.

2.Heavy enough to penetrate upwind into 30knts to the next wave band and
light enough to be rigged single-handed by a little old lady.

3.Low enough to the ground to allow entry by height challenged ATC cadets
but with a enough ground clearance and U/C travel to permit 15 ft flares
with associated stall and arrivals without spinal readjustment.

I actually did an instructional flight in the back
seat of a DG1000 today, and was reminded how poor the
forward visibility from the rear cockpit is. You have
to peer though a small semi-circular gap between the
canopy hoop, the front headrest and the student's head.
The forward view is far worse than in a K13 with its
one piece canopy, and not helped by the fact that you
sit fairly low down in the cockpit. I think that I
will make a point of only flying this type with well
switched on students who keep a good look out!

I suppose that it's a case of what is the greater risk.
Whiplash in the event of a crash or heavy landing,
or a head on mid-air collision with another aircraft
because you can't see ahead?

BTW I don't dislike the DG1000. It handles and performs
beautifully, it has good airbrakes (unlike the Duo
Discus), it is fully aerobatic in 18 metre mode (unlike
the Duo) and you can operate the undercarriage from
both cockpits (unlike the Duo).

BUT, I don't like the restricted view from the rear
cockpit, the difficult and heavy ground handling, getting
in and out of the thing, and the trigger type trimmer
mounted on the stick that doesn't seem to work. You
end up trimming with the trimmer tell-tale knob on
the side of the cockpit wall, so why bother with the
trigger in the first place?

Good try for the ideal trainer DG, but no cigar yet!

Derek Copeland

P.S. The r.a.s. black hole seems to re-appeared. this
is my third attempt at posting this!

Old December 5th 05, 02:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Derek Copeland wrote:
The ailerons on our DG1000 are not at all heavy, and
it has the most nicely co-ordinated controls of any
two seater glider I have ever flown (Duo is also nice).
Have you tried oiling the hinges?

Having flown the same DG1000, I have to agree with Bob, the ailerons are
quite heavy, although not quite as heavy as the DG505 I flew. Neither
of us belong to the clubs that own these gliders, so we can't attest to
the quality of the maintenance (but the 1000 is less than 3 years old).
I normally like DG handling (I've owned a 101 and a 303), but the two
seaters are simply not as pleasant to fly as the Duo...

Marc
Old December 5th 05, 02:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Derek Copeland wrote in
:

At 01:18 05 December 2005, Bob Korves wrote:

Yes, the DG trimmer control is cr@p, in all the DG's
I have flown. Also
the very stiff aileron control in the 1000 -- takes
both hands on the stick
to enter a thermal.

(snip)
-Bob Korves

Bob,

The ailerons on our DG1000 are not at all heavy, and
it has the most nicely co-ordinated controls of any
two seater glider I have ever flown (Duo is also nice).
Have you tried oiling the hinges?

Derek Copeland

The one I flew was very stiff. It was just OK in straight flight and when
established in a thermal. To achieve a brisk roll with full stick
deflection during thermal entry required both hands on the stick. Pitch
forces were much lighter. The glider I flew had several hundred hours over
several years. It may indeed need the controls lubed or some other
maintenance performed.

BTW, the one I flew had the retractable three wheel set-up, and the ground
handling was very good, better than a Grob 103 Twin II (or a Duo).

The 1000 also does very nice loops and wingovers (20m). I have it on very
good authority that the Duo does very nice loops and wingovers, too,
despite the prohibition on the placard...
-Bob Korves
Old December 5th 05, 02:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Bob Korves bkorves@winfirstDECIMALcom wrote in
. 44:

Derek Copeland wrote in
:

[...]

I should also mention that we were flying in the Sierra Nevada mountains of
California/Nevada on a day with 10+ knot thermals. Pullups into thermals
were at 80-100+ knots.
-Bob
Old December 5th 05, 02:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The end of the ailerons slotting into the socket in the end of the little
ailerons on the 20 mtr tips tend to attract dirt. ( as they usually have
grease or vaseline on them )They need to be cleaned and lubricated quite
regularly.
This helps.
Paul
"Bob Korves" bkorves@winfirstDECIMALcom wrote in message
. 44...
Derek Copeland wrote in
:

Old December 5th 05, 03:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

In article ,
Derek Copeland wrote:

Also on the good visibility from the back
seat, which is another failing of the DG1000. The front
cockpit has a largish headrest that almost completely
blocks the forward view from the rear cockpit. I

Strange. I've only had one flight in a DG1000, but it was from the back
seat and I did the tow and landing and had no problem at all. In fact I
thought it was an extremely nice glider to fly from the back, compared
to the Twin Astir or Janus that I normally fly.

--
Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-
Old December 5th 05, 04:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Bruce Hoult wrote:
it was an extremely nice glider to fly from the back, compared
to the Twin Astir or Janus that I normally fly.

--
Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-

Is that the WGC Janus and Astir Bruce? If so I've been trying to raise
someone at the club for some time now. No reply to emails. If you can
help me out that would be cool.

My 2 cents on the trainer question... I love the IS-2B2 Lark! I'm
sure some will say I'm nuts but I don't think you can beat it for the
money. Great rear seat vis. Good performance, flaps and gear for
advanced training, aerobatic, built like a tank, looks cool, handles
nice. Mine just came off major overhaul so all control circuit
bearings are good, no stiff ailerons here! I can go from trailer to
flight (or reverse) in 1.5 hours with 2 people (3 better, more too
many) with no fancy rigging aids. Price comparable to Blanik L-13!
Life limit iinspection is not the horror many believe. Only downside,
and it's an issue, is factory support. They are slow. This may be one
of the main reasons the Lark hasn't become a more appreciated and
utilized trainer. Unfortunate. If IAR would get it's act together
there would be no reason to drop $40k on a Grob or whatever a K21 or
Owl costs. I wouldn't even look at a Blanik or Peregrine.

Matt Michael CFIG
SSA Master Instructor
FAA Aviation Safety Counselor
Soaring Safety Foundation Advisor
Chief Instructor Central Iowa Glider Club (www.knightglider.com)
Woodstock N20609 "Wanders Wonder"
IS-28B2 Lark N28DG

Old December 5th 05, 08:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Whiplash (was Basic Training Gliders)

Don Johnstone wrote:

I suppose if an impact in a glider is severe enough
to cause the whiplash then that injury may be the least
of your problems as you are much closer to the crash
in a glider that you are in a car.

There is less of a crumple zone than in a car, but
most well designed gliders will absorb
some energy in the nose and cockpit area during
impact that will protect you to a certain extent.
Whiplash injury is therefore indeed an issue.
Even a groundloop during an outlanding can give
a whiplash and a good headrest is an important
safety feature.

Nils