Nellis on the Blocks (The upcoming 2005 Base Realignment And Closure)

Old July 20th 03, 06:00 PM

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 12:55:43 GMT, "S. Sampson" wrote:

"Walt BJ" wrote

. As for Goose Bay and Cold Lake - madness! It's cold up there!

I went up to Cold Lake in the winter, and it was sort of like Iceland.
Not much snow on the ground, but your nose freezes and then you
hear this cracking sound in your head :-) I didn't think it was as bad
as Minot though. I think Minot was the only place I ever wore my
nomex long johns... The food on-base was pretty bad (I found a
button in my mashed potatoes), and downtown is completely unlike
Vegas :-) No threat of a Tailhook convention up there.

If you think Minot was bad you should have been at Glasgow.G

Old July 20th 03, 07:18 PM
S. Sampson

"BUFDRVR" wrote

Love the southern departure altitude restrictions. No problem in a BUFF with a
RED FLAG fuel load (100K), but for redeployment its kind of interesting. All in
the name of a peaceful round of golf....

Better yet is they always clear you for the TACAN high approach even if you
identify "heavy." Go for it!

Nellis: Cleared TACAN high
Pilot: crew, cleared for the high
nav: negative
co: negative
engineer: no way, we'll be over the fricking golf course at .9 Mach...

Old July 20th 03, 09:07 PM
av8r

Hi Brian

It's really a damp cold versus a dry cold at Goose Bay. The cold air
blows in from the Labrador Sea with a high moisture content. You should
have seen the southern U.S. based Air National Guard KC-97 alert tanker
crews pulling 90 days TDY (Reflex Action) in the middle of the winter.
It was hilarious. Some of the regulars assigned to Goose Air Base would
meet the arriving aircraft in shorts and T-shirts.

Cheers...Chris

Old July 21st 03, 12:51 AM
patrick savoie

Used to be similiar reception for Bahamian Defense Force technicians who
arrived in Bagovtille back in the 70's & 80's. They took technician training
for helicopter at our school. (Saguenay region of Quebec, Canada ... not as
far north as Goose Bay or Cold Lake .... but 2.5 hours north of Quebec City
.... still cold).

They would actually "run" from the transport a/c into a heated bus .. then
brought immediately to a clothing supply for sweater, winter coats, gloves,
etc.... and this was only october! Everybody else was just wearing a light
coat.

Always a funny site when they saw their first snow fall and the instructors
would have to go to the barracks and order them outside. Some of them would
be afraid to go outside and refused to go to class.

Pat

Old July 23rd 03, 03:41 AM
Thomas Schoene

"begme" wrote in message

If Nellis is a shock, what about Rosy Rds.?

Roosevelt Roads is almost certainly going away; I think there is language in
the FY 04 Authoriztion allowing its closure. The logic is that there's not
much point to keeping it when we no longer have Vieques. I doubt anyone will
be surprised to see it go.

"If brave men and women never died, there would be nothing
special about bravery." -- Andy Rooney (attributed)

Old July 23rd 03, 04:47 AM
IBM

"Thomas Schoene" wrote in
et:

"begme" wrote in message

If Nellis is a shock, what about Rosy Rds.?

Roosevelt Roads is almost certainly going away; I think there is
language in the FY 04 Authoriztion allowing its closure. The logic is
that there's not much point to keeping it when we no longer have
Vieques. I doubt anyone will be surprised to see it go.

Except, of course, the locals who perhaps got more than they
bargained for when they got Vieques closed.

IBM

The Worlds Uncensored News Source