What REALLY Crashed @ Boscome Down?

Old October 28th 03, 02:08 AM
Kenneth Williams

Default What REALLY Crashed @ Boscome Down?

A friend recently assured me that the mystery stealth aircraft that
crashed at Boscome Down was a TR-3B ASTRA (Advanced Stealth Technology
Recon Aircraft) which was positively identified as aircraft AV-6,
serial number 94-2414, call sign "Blackbuc 11".

He also said that Lockheed isn't the most advanced stealth designer
anymore as the TR-3B is made by Northrop's ATDC as well as being the
leading designer of the future B-3 bomber.

Is any of this true, and if so, how did he get the info?

He also said the ASTRA each cost $5 trillion!!! I can only guess that
we possess around 3 of them, so what would one be doing in the UK?

The way the crash was described to me made it sound like a stealth
fighter was involved, not a huge triangular recon aircraft. The
aircraft described was more likened to the losing YF-23, I thought.

Anyone else heard the same?

Kenneth Williams
Old October 28th 03, 02:39 AM
McCooley

The serial number 94-2414 is definitely fake, and the $5 trillion price tag
isn't even worth serious consideration. This is obviously complete BS.

Brian

Old October 28th 03, 07:30 AM
Keith Willshaw

"Kenneth Williams" wrote in message
m...

He also said the ASTRA each cost $5 trillion!!! I can only guess that
we possess around 3 of them, so what would one be doing in the UK?

Try again on April 1st

Keith

Old October 28th 03, 10:29 AM
Devi Deveraux

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message ...
"Kenneth Williams" wrote in message
m...

He also said the ASTRA each cost $5 trillion!!! I can only guess that
we possess around 3 of them, so what would one be doing in the UK?

Try again on April 1st

Keith

One would hope the original poster got three too many zeros in that
figure!

ASTRA is rumored to cost around 3 billion each, if indeed there is
such a thing.

I seriously doubt the NRO, NSA, or CIA will confirm anything, but one
could always try the GAO when money is involved!

DV-D
Old October 29th 03, 01:59 PM
Ralph Savelsberg

Kenneth Williams wrote:

A friend recently assured me that the mystery stealth aircraft that
crashed at Boscome Down was a TR-3B ASTRA (Advanced Stealth Technology
Recon Aircraft) which was positively identified as aircraft AV-6,
serial number 94-2414, call sign "Blackbuc 11".

He also said that Lockheed isn't the most advanced stealth designer
anymore as the TR-3B is made by Northrop's ATDC as well as being the
leading designer of the future B-3 bomber.

Is any of this true, and if so, how did he get the info?

He also said the ASTRA each cost $5 trillion!!! I can only guess that
we possess around 3 of them, so what would one be doing in the UK?

The way the crash was described to me made it sound like a stealth
fighter was involved, not a huge triangular recon aircraft. The
aircraft described was more likened to the losing YF-23, I thought.

Anyone else heard the same?

Back then `Air Forces Monthly' and probably also `Aircraft Illustrated'
had articles about the mystery crash, including (very uncharacteristic
for the former magazine) a whole load of speculation including that it
could be the aircraft sometimes referred to as the TR-3A (if there is
such a thing) or the A-somenumber `ASTRA' which is rumoured to owe a lot
to the YF-23. As far as I'm concerned, it still is nothing but
speculation, since nor a TR-3A, nor the ASTRA have ever been confirmed
to exist.
Still, I wouldn't be surprised if something `black' crashed there. The
US spends billions of Dollars on `black' projects. Once in a while some
of the products of are actually made public. The `Have Blue' (and the
F-117) is such a case, as are the more recent Northrop `Tacit Blue' test
platform and the Lockheed Martin `Bird of Prey' fighter concept. Who
knows whether other aircraft are lurking in the shadows?
You can rest assured, though, that whatever it was that supposedly
crashed, it's bound not to have cost $5 Trillion Dollars!

Regards,
Ralph Savelsberg

Kenneth Williams

Old October 29th 03, 04:37 PM
Ken Duffey

Ralph Savelsberg wrote:

Kenneth Williams wrote:

[...]

I remember the AFM 'Special' on the Boscombe crash - a whole load of
conspiracy bunkum.

Then there was the 'official' explanation for - every point raised in the
article, there was a repudiation.

IIRC, it went something like -

Conspiracy :- The road at High Post (on the approach to Boscombe Down) was
closed because a 'black' jet was landing

Explanation :- The reason the the road was closed was because a trials
Tornado had a problem with a towed countermeasures device - and was trailing
the aerial, so they had to close the road for safety reasons.

Conspiracy :- The black jet was hidden in a hangar - and, in the dead of
night, it was covered up and loaded aboard a C-5 that had filed no flight
plan.

Explanation :- The 'shape' under a tarpaulin was a test landing platform for
the Sea Harrier. It could be tilted to represent a pitching deck, it was
loaded aboard the C-5.

Conspiracy :- There was a mysterious, unrecorded, landing by a Gulfstream GV
(?) that had no markings and was supposed to belong to the CIA.

Explanation :- John Travolta (?) (or some other VIP) was playing golf at a
nearby course and the Gulfstream was his.

Some of the explanations were so ridiculous as to be plausible (although why
the VIP would be allowed to land at Boscombe is questionable) - as were some
of conspiracy theories.

I am undecided as to which story I believe - but I lean towards the school
of thought that it never happened.

Ken Duffey - Flanker Freak & Russian Aviation Enthusiast
Flankers Website - http://www.flankers.co.uk/