Could technology bring back the Red Baron dogfight?

Old January 16th 04, 12:13 AM
Ed Rasimus

Default Could technology bring back the Red Baron dogfight?

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 15:22:16 -0800, Hobo wrote:

If stealth makes long distance RF AAMs ineffective, and laser blinding
makes IR AAMs ineffective, wouldn't we back to the gunfights of WW1?

If the aircraft are stealthy, how do they find each other for the
dogfight?

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
Smithsonian Institution Press
ISBN #1-58834-103-8
Old January 16th 04, 12:19 AM
Dudley Henriques

"Ed Rasimus" wrote in message
On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 15:22:16 -0800, Hobo wrote:

If stealth makes long distance RF AAMs ineffective, and laser blinding
makes IR AAMs ineffective, wouldn't we back to the gunfights of WW1?

If the aircraft are stealthy, how do they find each other for the
dogfight?

Barking?

Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
Commercial Pilot/ CFI Retired
For personal email, please replace
the z's with e's.
dhenriquesATzarthlinkDOTnzt

Old January 16th 04, 12:28 AM
John R Weiss

"Dudley Henriques" wrote...

If the aircraft are stealthy, how do they find each other for the
dogfight?

Barking?

Sniffing?

Old January 16th 04, 12:34 AM
Tarver Engineering

"John R Weiss" wrote in message
"Dudley Henriques" wrote...

Barking?

Sniffing?

Dambed sailors.

Watch your gun, Ed.

Old January 16th 04, 12:51 AM
Dudley Henriques

"John R Weiss" wrote in message
"Dudley Henriques" wrote...

If the aircraft are stealthy, how do they find each other for the
dogfight?

Barking?

Sniffing?

Sniffing......hmmmmmmm!!!!!
Well.........It DOES kinda give a sort of new meaning to the phrase
"checking your six" :-))
Dudley

Old January 16th 04, 01:07 AM
Ed Rasimus

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 00:51:30 GMT, "Dudley Henriques"
wrote:

"John R Weiss" wrote in message
"Dudley Henriques" wrote...

If the aircraft are stealthy, how do they find each other for the
dogfight?

Barking?

Sniffing?

Sniffing......hmmmmmmm!!!!!
Well.........It DOES kinda give a sort of new meaning to the phrase
"checking your six" :-))
Dudley

I thought we were going to resurrect the old canard of the Navy guy
coming in to the club complaining about those lying Air Force types.

"We agreed last night to meet at the center of the area at 25,000 feet
to resolve once and for all who was best. Those lying no-good AF types
came in at 35,000 feet. Why we all would have been morts if we hadn't
seen them from 40,000....."

Old January 16th 04, 02:00 AM
Dudley Henriques

wrote:

"John R Weiss" wrote in message
"Dudley Henriques" wrote...

If the aircraft are stealthy, how do they find each other for the
dogfight?

Barking?

Sniffing?

Sniffing......hmmmmmmm!!!!!
Well.........It DOES kinda give a sort of new meaning to the phrase
"checking your six" :-))
Dudley

I thought we were going to resurrect the old canard of the Navy guy
coming in to the club complaining about those lying Air Force types.

"We agreed last night to meet at the center of the area at 25,000 feet
to resolve once and for all who was best. Those lying no-good AF types
came in at 35,000 feet. Why we all would have been morts if we hadn't
seen them from 40,000....."

I remember the first time I heard this story. Admiral Holloway told it as a
guest speaker at a TPS reunion and luncheon at Pax years ago. It broke the
joint up! I don't know the origin , but it was funny as hell then and it
STILL breaks the guys up!! :-))
Dudley

Old January 16th 04, 02:48 AM
Tarver Engineering

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
nk.net...

"John R Weiss" wrote in message
"Dudley Henriques" wrote...

If the aircraft are stealthy, how do they find each other for the
dogfight?

Barking?

Sniffing?

Sniffing......mmmmmmm!!!!!

Yep, first the barking, then the sniffing, then the testicle licking ...

And dogs aren't much better.