Vertica V3?

Old January 9th 13, 04:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Default Vertica V3?

Pure speculation here...

I noticed that the V2 is "sold out" on the Vertica Sports website
http://www.verticasports.com/shop/v2-flight-instrument/

Does this foreshadow the announcement of the V3?

What is the latest date that a company can deliver a new product and expect it to sell for the 2013 soaring season? One highly regarded soaring product maker set March 31 for delivery of a promising new product. Is that the usual time of year for soaring product release? From various old blog posts, I gather that the V2 was released in September 2012.

There are still V2s_under_another_brand_name in stock at distributors. Does any distributor still have Vertica-branded V2s in stock?
Old January 9th 13, 08:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Wednesday, January 9, 2013 8:41:04 AM UTC-8, son_of_flubber wrote:
Pure speculation here... I noticed that the V2 is "sold out" on the Vertica Sports website http://www.verticasports.com/shop/v2-flight-instrument/ Does this foreshadow the announcement of the V3? What is the latest date that a company can deliver a new product and expect it to sell for the 2013 soaring season? One highly regarded soaring product maker set March 31 for delivery of a promising new product. Is that the usual time of year for soaring product release? From various old blog posts, I gather that the V2 was released in September 2012. There are still V2s_under_another_brand_name in stock at distributors. Does any distributor still have Vertica-branded V2s in stock?

The Oudie 2 Lite is available and runs the free programs.

I have several customers that replaced the V2 with the Oudie 2 Lite and say the Oudie is a much nicer unit and when you finally get the cabling and power converters for the V2 the Oudie is less expensive.

http://www.craggyaero.com/oudie.htm

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old January 10th 13, 09:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Allan Arthurs

The GliderGuider is available, complete with power/data interface cable.

Kind regards
Allan
www.gliderguider.net

=

Old January 10th 13, 10:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The sunlight readable screens on the GliderGuider/Vertica V2 and Oudie 2 are great but I really wish they ran on an OS (like Android) that's not as antiquated and unsupported as Windows CE or Windows Mobile 6.x
With the plethora of Android smart phones, phablets and tablets available with built in GPS/GLONASS capable receivers, barometers, 3G/LTE, etc. and an app store with tens of thousands of apps why would one want to stick with an outdated OS running on seriously underpowered hardware which you can only use in the cockpit?

E.g. Take a smart phone like the LG Optimus 4X HD P880 (720x1280 HD screen with 750 cd/m2 brightness) and install XCSoar from the Google Play store and you're sorted. True HD-IPS display, quad core 1.5 GHz processor, 1GB RAM, hardware accelerated graphics, etc.
Have an outlanding? No problem just take your smart phone and make a call or send an email. Why carry another mobile phone?
When you're finished soaring for the day just pop it in your pocket and use it for the rest of the week.
Even better you get to upgrade the phone for free every two years when your mobile phone contract is up for renewal so you're never left with old hardware which you can't get rid of.

Just my opinion of course.
Old January 10th 13, 11:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
pcool

I think you miss the point entirely.
Most people, 99% of those I know, use a dedicated device for flight.
This is why Oudies are sold, V2 are sold, and you install aboard dedicated
computers that you dont bring home or in your car.

Using CE or Android makes no difference it the application running on it
works exactly the same on both OS.
Have you ever seen some devices like Montana, Oregon, and such by Garmin,
for example, in any shop?

So the answer to your question is: because they want a dedicated hardware,
or because they want an application that run on CE and dont care about the
xcsoar. And there has to be a reason why this happen, dont you think?

Old January 10th 13, 11:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Max Kellermann[_2_]

On Thursday, January 10, 2013 12:25:31 PM UTC+1, pcool wrote:
Most people, 99% of those I know, use a dedicated device for flight.

The reason for that is pretty trivial: your software runs only on hardware that is not adequate for anything else. That alone makes the hardware "dedicated for flight". That is a limitation imposed by the software, not necessarily the user's deliberate choice.

My Dell Streak is (mostly) dedicated for flight, but I enjoy using my normal phones on occasional leisure/schooling two-seater flights. I don't need to remember taking it with me, I have it in my pocket all the time anyway, and so often it turns out to be useful.
Old January 10th 13, 12:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
pcool

I can agree on this.
But still, many want a dedicated device. That's the same story for car
navigators, no difference.

Old January 10th 13, 01:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I have a friend that is using his android phone as his nav computer. He missed scoring a race day because having forgotten to place the phone in "aircraft mode" a call interrupted his IGC trace. I personally like my phone in the "off" mode for battery preservation and my MIO in the "on" mode for navigation.

Lane
Old January 10th 13, 01:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Thursday, January 10, 2013 5:42:47 AM UTC-5, Surge wrote:
I really wish they ran on an OS (like Android) that's not as antiquated and unsupported as Windows CE or Windows Mobile 6.x

Comparing Windows CE and Android is comparing apples and oranges. They may appear to be equivalent and interchangeable to the end user, but under the skin, they are fundamentally different beasts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_CE
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android...ting_system%29

The bottom line is that Windows CE is intended to be utterly stable and reliable. That's a primary design goal.

Android aspires to be all things to all Apps (and "stable"). It's totally pointless to argue (and especially in this forum) whether Windows CE is in fact more stable and reliable than Android, so let's NOT go there.

Windows CE deliberately limits functionality and utility to maximize stability and reliability. Android has constantly expanded functionality and utility and in theory that complexity, and frequent revision and extension of the kernel reduces stability and reliability. At the very least, it introduces the possibility of a code defect slipping in; a defect that could possibly lead to a critical flight computer error. The probability of that happening is unquantifiable, but non-zero.

Stability and reliability are primary goals of sensible flight related computing. That's why NASA's Space Shuttle used computers and software long frozen in decades past. The old stuff was indisputably stable and reliable. It was old, but not antiquated. Using Windows CE follows a similar proven strategy.

I'm not saying that PNA's based on Windows CE are in fact more reliable than those running on Android. Nobody knows. But that's a big part of the engineers' intention.

Old January 10th 13, 01:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roel Baardman

But still, many want a dedicated device. That's the same story for car navigators, no difference.

Then I cannot help but wonder what motivates those people to buy a separate device instead of something like an Altair/LX9000 or similar devices?