Looking for a reversible fuel transfer pump

Old April 7th 05, 06:34 PM

Default Looking for a reversible fuel transfer pump

I have a 12Gal aux tank that I want to be able to transfer fuel TO and
FROM my main tank. For simplicity and lightness, I'd prefer to use a
single reversible pump on a single fuel line ... along with a solenoid
shutoff valve in series to prevent gravity flow when off.

There are cheapo plastic pumps available at a hardware store that would
"do the job" but I wouldn't consider using one in an airplane. Yet I
can't seem to find a QUALITY 12V reversible gear pump rated for
gasoline. (I did find a few for oil and diesel at aptly-named
reversopumps.com.)

Anybody know of one? Pump capacity isn't critical, but would like it
to be at least 3GPM.

Thanks,
Greg

P.S. I say "gear pump" above because virtually all gear pumps are
reversible by virtue of their construction, whereas other styles
usually are not. But I'm not hung up on a gear pump as long as it can
pump in both directions.

Old April 7th 05, 08:22 PM
Juan Jimenez

Would it not be easier (and probably cheaper) to find a valve that can
switch input and output?

Juan

ups.com...

Old April 7th 05, 10:18 PM

Ya, that's another option. I doubt it'd be CHEAPER or LIGHTER than a
reversing pump, but if I can't find a reversing pump then such a valve
may be my ONLY option. So OK, I'll bite:

Where can I get a quality valve that supports swapping of inputs and
outputs, and will handle gasoline?

I actually had this drawn up long ago with a standard 4-way valve (such
as used with fuel-injection), a pair of one-way check valves, and lots
of interconnects. It seemed to be overly complicated. I can't find
that sketch now, tho' I'm sure I can recreate it with a little thought.

If there's a purpose-made valve for this, that would be GREAT.

Thanks,
Greg

Old April 8th 05, 04:28 AM
Juan Jimenez

Maybe this will work.

http://www.reversopumps.com/valve_assemblies.html

I think these folks have the reversing pumps as well....

http://www.reversopumps.com/download...Industrial.pdf

ups.com...

Old April 8th 05, 04:29 AM
Juan Jimenez

Geez, I just read your original message and saw you had been to
reversopumps.com already. Had you seen that valve already?

ups.com...

Old April 8th 05, 02:55 PM

Yup, I'd been to reversopumps.com early in my quest, and subsequently
contacted them as to whether gasoline was supported. They responded
quite quickly: Nope. (Actually, it says this in their FAQ section too.
But diesel would be OK.)

Meanwhile, I re-drew the "plumbing circuit" using a single
non-reversible pump and a duplex valve (e.g. an FS22-D2). It's not all
that complicated ... but the valves is very $expensive. And I'd really
like to be able to do this electrically rather than mechanically.

So I've also been researching solenoid-actuated valves, and have put in
some inquiries to several of the manufacturers as to their suitability
for gasoline. I can obviously do it with a set of four 2-way solenoid
valves, or with a pair of 3-way valves and a 2-way.

But the #1 choice would still be a reversible pump for gasoline ...
along with an on-off 2-way solenoid in series if necessary.

Thanks,
Greg

Old April 8th 05, 09:03 PM
Morgans

So I've also been researching solenoid-actuated valves, and have put in
some inquiries to several of the manufacturers as to their suitability
for gasoline. I can obviously do it with a set of four 2-way solenoid
valves, or with a pair of 3-way valves and a 2-way.

IMHO, a setup like you describe has too many possible points of failure.
Better off with the mechanical valve, for reliability.
--
Jim in NC

Old April 9th 05, 07:29 AM
Rob Turk

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a 12Gal aux tank that I want to be able to transfer fuel TO and
FROM my main tank. For simplicity and lightness, I'd prefer to use a
single reversible pump on a single fuel line ... along with a solenoid
shutoff valve in series to prevent gravity flow when off.

You should be able to do this with two simple left-right switch valves.
Doesn't cost much and it's quite light.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/whfsv.php

Rob

Old April 11th 05, 05:24 AM
Jim Carriere

Richard Riley wrote:
that's one of the nice things about gear pumps. I'm using one for an
oil based cabin heater, I can't easily check to see if it's
reversable, but a phone call to them should answer it.

I've been toying with that idea for a while. You mean engine oil,
right? Are such things at all common? I guess what I most wonder is
why, on GA aircraft with aircooled engines, are exhaust heat muffs
and/or fuel fired heaters commonplace. Which is worse, the
possibility of CO in the cabin or hot oil in the cabin (and possible
loss of powerplant lubrication)?

Seems to me that safety/reliability issues can be addressed by using
quality parts and design. The functionality issue is maintaining the
oil at operating temp, on a cold day or fast/high cruise, when cabin
heat is most needed and the engine does not want to run hot (cowl
flaps?).

In other words, what am I missing? Thoughts anyone?