Uploading CAI file from Cam 20 to OLC

Old May 8th 05, 03:20 PM
Roy Clark, B6

Default Uploading CAI file from Cam 20 to OLC

I am a firm supporter of the OLC; L wrote an article for my club
newsletter and gave a presentation at our monthly meeting using a
modification of Reiner's 2005 SSA OLC one.

However, I'm having a dickens of a time uploading my flight traces to
the OLC.
Use a Cambridge GPS Model 20 and L-NAV.
Extract *.cai file from GPS.
Use the protocol suggested by OLC to convert and tag the traces.
Can't get *.igc file accepted by OLC using either SeeYou or OLC Flight
Claim methods.
The OLC helper has been able to get my traces on OLC. But, he and I
would rather spend the time doing more fun things!
And, I'm not alone out here in Ephrata. I watch my soaring buddies
with Cam 20 GPS go through the same frustration. None of us are
computer geeks, but we are far from newbies (my first home "PC" was a
Timex 1000). My buddies are engineers with lots of computer "hands on"
experience.
Anyone having better success and would share their step by step method?
Could send to me by e-mail unless others are having the same problem.

Old May 8th 05, 04:25 PM
David Leonard

Open *.CAI file with SeeYou. Optimize (Edit-Optiize or Ctrl+L) flight.
Click submit button. Make sure "automaticly upload flight" is checked in
submit dialog. Click submit button.

Thats it.

Just make sure you open the *.cai file directly with SeYou. It will do
the rest.

Old May 8th 05, 04:39 PM
Kilo Charlie

"Roy Clark, B6" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am a firm supporter of the OLC; L wrote an article for my club
newsletter and gave a presentation at our monthly meeting using a
modification of Reiner's 2005 SSA OLC one.

However, I'm having a dickens of a time uploading my flight traces to
the OLC.
Use a Cambridge GPS Model 20 and L-NAV.
Extract *.cai file from GPS.

How are you "extracting" the file from the logger? It may be corrupted that
way. If you are using the first version of Connect Me it requires it to be
downloaded twice. They have corrected that but if you haven't gotten the
update then it could still be a problem.

I download flights from my Model 25 (same thing just external antenna) with
an Ipaq running Connect Me, place it in on a SD card, upload it via a card
reader into my PC, use See You 3.1 to analyze it and optimize it then send
it to OLC with no problems on the uploading end.

OLC however is very sensitive to what most would consider minor errors e.g.
wrong birthdate, engine running if you didn't check "pure glider", missing
data if you turned the logger on then off briefly before takeoff, misspelled
name to name a few. They nicely list all the errors in red at the bottom of
the attempted upload so that you have a chance to correct them. What errors
are you seeing there?

Casey Lenox
KC
Phoenix

Old May 10th 05, 04:31 AM
Roy Clark, B6

Don't use Connect Me or Ipaq.

Have been using the method described in FAQ on the OLC.

Old May 10th 05, 04:01 PM
2NO

I'm having the same problem uploading a pair of log files from a
friend's old Model 20. I've tried uploading "by hand" via the OLC
flight claim page, and massaging all of the data fields by hand. I've
tried uploading with SeeYou 3.1, but when the OLC flight claim page
comes up, it has different coordinates for the turnpoints than SeeYou
selected. When I change those coordinates to match what SeeYou came up
with, it comes back with a message saying "No valid fixes after end of
flight" or something similar. I am a computer programmer by trade, and
I manage a couple of web sites, so I like to think there isn't operator
error involved here.

The only thing I can find that might be causing the trouble is that in
each log file, there are about a half dozen "B" records with east
longitudes instead of west. I think that might be confusing the server
software. But when I edit the file and remove or modify those records,
OLC complains about something else ...

-ted/2NO

Old May 10th 05, 04:13 PM
2NO

When I go through all the proper (manual) procedures for the 7 May
flight at the OLC web page and click on "Check entry", the first time
OLC crunches all the data it comes back with *no*error*messages* and
all 7 flight points (start/1/2/3/4/5/finish) in green.

It also has the 1st and 3d waypoints in the eastern hemisphere and a
total flight distance of 42263.26 km. Now that's a heck of a flight!!!

Even though this page has no error messages, it still does not have a
"Claim Flight" button.

When I then modify the points to exactly match what SeeYou reports, the
distance becomes correct, but the 4th, 5th, and finish points are no
longer labeled in green, and the following error messages are reported:

"The finish time is after the end of the flight without propulsion.
This is not allowed. Please adjust the finish time or the time of the
end of the flight without propulsion.
Valid waypoints reached in the present flight trace (IGC-file) are
printed in green.
The flight claim is complete only when all waypoints are printed in
green.
Suggestions will be made by the server only if the flight trace
approaches a declared waypoint to no more than 2.5km.
There is no fix in the IGC-file with your finish time. "

.... which makes no sense at all.

As a software engineer I admire what the OLC team has done, but as a
user, I sure hope they fix this, or tell me how I can get around it!

-ted/2NO

Old May 10th 05, 04:16 PM
2NO

A correction to my most recent post. I had wrong "End of flight without
propulsion" time entered. With the correct launch/soar/finish/land
times, these are the error messages I get:

"Valid waypoints reached in the present flight trace (IGC-file) are
printed in green.
The flight claim is complete only when all waypoints are printed in
green.
Suggestions will be made by the server only if the flight trace
approaches a declared waypoint to no more than 2.5km.
There is no fix in the IGC-file with your finish time."

It's that last one that's frustrating me. I have verified multiple
times that there is in fact a fix in the IGC file with exactly the
finish time...

-ted/2NO

Old May 10th 05, 05:41 PM

2NO wrote:
I get:
"Valid waypoints reached in the present flight trace (IGC-file) are
printed in green.
The flight claim is complete only when all waypoints are printed in
green.
Suggestions will be made by the server only if the flight trace
approaches a declared waypoint to no more than 2.5km.
There is no fix in the IGC-file with your finish time."

I have exactly the same problem (Cambridge Model 10). I have reviewed
the raw file and confirmed that there are indeed B record fixes in the
file corresponding to the fixes that OLC is showing as no good.

I have verified multiple
times that there is in fact a fix in the IGC file with exactly the
finish time...

Ditto.

I have tried - CAI file direct to See-You 2.85. I have tried CAI file
+ conv-cam to create new IGC file then the OLC utility cai2igc to
append the G records to the new IGC file & several variations thereon.
All equally hopeless and resulting in the same errors as you have. I
have wasted hours on this and I'm giving up unless someone has the
process down.

Old May 11th 05, 12:51 AM
Bob S

2NO wrote:
I get:
[...]

I had a very similar problem last year. With the help of the OLC team,
it was determined that the file transfer to OLC was incomplete, so many
B records were missing on the file on their system. I tried to upload
the file again and was rebuffed with the message "Flight File already
in OLC" or some such ... it wouldn't replace the partial file with a
new copy.

Again, the OLC team provided a trick that allowed me to eventually be
successful. The trick is to change the name of the .igc file to be
uploaded by bumping up the flight sequence number for the flight date.
That's the digit in the eighth character position in the file name.

Example: change ymdCxxx1.igc to ymdCxxx2.igc

OLC treats the new file as if it is a new file for a new claim, giving
a new shot at getting the complete file uploaded.