Flying over Canada VFR

Old October 1st 05, 12:40 AM
B. Jensen

Default Flying over Canada VFR

I have a question regarding flying over Canada VFR without landing in
Canada. For instance, if I takeoff from Saginaw, MI and fly VFR to
upstate NY, I would fly in Canadian airspace. If I don't land in
Canada, and since my flight originated in the US, what requirements, if
any, are there for doing this? Is a VFR flight plan required, do you
need a FCC radio license for your aircraft since you would be
transmitting in Canadian airspace, and are there any ATC fees to pay for
using Canadian airspace?

The last question is, what would be the difference if I did this same
flight IFR?

Thanks,

BJ

Old October 1st 05, 01:39 AM
Marc CYBW

There are new regulations!

You must send a cheque for $25.00 (Cdn) to every licensed pilot in Canada -
a bottle of Jack Daniels would be good too :-)

OK, so those aren't the real regulations, but it would have been nice to try
a little sipping bourbon.

As for the radio stuff, according to the latest COPA publication, you need
your US Restricted Radiotelephone Operators Permit.

Marc CYBW

Old October 1st 05, 02:32 AM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "B. Jensen" said:
I have a question regarding flying over Canada VFR without landing in
Canada. For instance, if I takeoff from Saginaw, MI and fly VFR to
upstate NY, I would fly in Canadian airspace. If I don't land in
Canada, and since my flight originated in the US, what requirements, if
any, are there for doing this? Is a VFR flight plan required, do you
need a FCC radio license for your aircraft since you would be
transmitting in Canadian airspace, and are there any ATC fees to pay for
using Canadian airspace?

You need to be talking to some ATC while you're crossing the border. It's
easiest if you get flight following the whole way. NavCanada will send
the aircraft owner a bill for $15, but will cover the aircraft for the
whole quarter, if you decide to do it again.

Nobody is going to board your plane in mid-air to look for a radio
license.

The last question is, what would be the difference if I did this same
flight IFR?

Well, it makes it easier to be talking to somebody as you cross the
border. Otherwise, no change.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
When C++ is your hammer, everything looks like a thumb.
Old October 1st 05, 02:55 AM
B. Jensen

I thought you guys were beer drinkers!

I have a radio license, buy my experimental A/C does not. Do I need a
radio license for my A/C?

Thanks,

BJ

Old October 1st 05, 02:57 AM
B. Jensen

Paul,

If I'm VFR, do I need to file a VFR flight plan even though I'm not
landing in Canada?

Also, since I fly an experiental A/C, are there any other requirements?

Thanks,

BJ

Old October 1st 05, 03:10 AM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "B. Jensen" said:
Paul,

If I'm VFR, do I need to file a VFR flight plan even though I'm not
landing in Canada?

KROC, where I'm based, wouldn't give you VFR flight following if you
weren't on a flight plan. (Everytime I mention that on this newsgroup, a
bunch of people tell me I'm crazy, and then one or two people mention that
it's the same at their airport too.) So I've never tried to cross the
border without being on a flight plan, either VFR or IFR. I got my
instrument rating 3 or 4 years ago, and I haven't tried to cross the
border VFR since then, so I don't know if that's changed.

Also, since I fly an experiental A/C, are there any other requirements?

No idea.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Heaven has all the lusers, a generous supply of larts -
Old October 1st 05, 03:11 AM
George Patterson

Marc CYBW wrote:

You must send a cheque for $25.00 (Cdn) to every licensed pilot in Canada -
a bottle of Jack Daniels would be good too :-)

That square bottle is a safety feature designed for Canadian drivers. It keeps
the bottle from rolling to the other side of the car when they turn. :-)

George Patterson
Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your neighbor.
It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him.
Old October 1st 05, 03:57 AM
Longworth

Paul,
Last year, we made two trips (NY-MI-NY, NY-MI-MN-IL-NY) under VFR
flight plans. This year, we made another two trips (NY-MI-IL-NY and
NY-MI-CO-MI-NY) but under IFR flight plans. For the firsrt two trips,
we flew over Canada for at least 1/3 of the distance and were in
contact with Canadian ATC (under flight following). For the last two
trips, we were further south and were only over Canada for short
durations. We have not received any bills from NavCanada. I recalled
reading some older posts that the $15 fee applied for aircraft landing
in Canada.

Hai Longworth

Old October 1st 05, 09:11 AM
Chris

"B. Jensen" wrote in message
I have a question regarding flying over Canada VFR without landing in
Canada. For instance, if I takeoff from Saginaw, MI and fly VFR to upstate
NY, I would fly in Canadian airspace. If I don't land in Canada, and since
my flight originated in the US, what requirements, if any, are there for
doing this? Is a VFR flight plan required, do you need a FCC radio license
for your aircraft since you would be transmitting in Canadian airspace, and
are there any ATC fees to pay for using Canadian airspace?

The last question is, what would be the difference if I did this same
flight IFR?

As you cross an international border you need to file a flight plan even if
you are not landing.

If you were doing it properly and planning for every eventuality you might
treat the trip as if you were landing and ensure that you had all the
necessary documentation.

I recently flew from Madison to Niagara Falls IFR in a 172 and I ensured I
had the Canadian issued low level chart and instrument approaches. I never
needed them but there was for a few minutes a thought that we might have to
land to avoid some nasty weather and having the charts gave some comfort.

Later at Oshkosh I visited the NAV Canada stand and they told me there would
be no nav charges because I did not land.

Old October 1st 05, 01:22 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Longworth" said:
durations. We have not received any bills from NavCanada. I recalled
reading some older posts that the $15 fee applied for aircraft landing
in Canada.

Come to think of it, I think you're right - I recall that the US
threatened to charge Canadian overflights of the US in retaliation, so
NavCanada backed down.

I'm in a club, and the planes I fly land in Canada a lot so I wouldn't
notice whether an overflight was subject to the charge because we end up
paying the fee every quarter anyway.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Did you know that "Gullible" is not in the dictionary?