Flying over Canada VFR

Old October 2nd 05, 03:40 AM
john smith

You need to be talking to some ATC while you're crossing the border. It's
easiest if you get flight following the whole way. NavCanada will send
the aircraft owner a bill for $15, but will cover the aircraft for the
whole quarter, if you decide to do it again.

Not necessarily.
I fly from Columbus Ohio to Port Huron Michigan. Heading 005 degrees.
I go feet wet at Sandusky Ohio, cross between Middle Bass and Kelly's
Islands; fly west of Pelee Island and go feet dry at Leamington Ontario.
I then go feet wet again at the south shore of Lake St Claire and feet
dry at the mouth of the channel leading to Lake Huron.
If I go IFR or use flight following, I never talk to a Canadian
controller (Columbus, Mansfield, Cleveland, Detriot, Selfrige). Or, VFR,
I may not talk to anyone.
No ADIZ flight plan, not NavCanada fees.
Old October 2nd 05, 06:52 AM
tony roberts

He Lied.
Jack Daniels, Bubonic Plague and any beer imprinted with the phrase
"Union Made" are all pretty much banned here.

The good news is that all single malts and premium Irish Whiskeys are
tax exempt. In fact, the premium singles even come with a cash back,
free radio licence, free flight following and lots of other goodies.
Just send me your address and a list of exactly what you will be
bringing - I'll take care of the rest

Tony

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL
Old October 3rd 05, 01:36 AM
Malcolm

BJ,

You might try checking out the AOPA website or calling them. I've
never flown to Canada or over it, but I do know that AOPA advises
people of non-US flights regularly.

-Malcolm Teas

Old October 3rd 05, 02:16 AM
Mike Rapoport

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
In a previous article, "B. Jensen" said:
I have a question regarding flying over Canada VFR without landing in
Canada. For instance, if I takeoff from Saginaw, MI and fly VFR to
upstate NY, I would fly in Canadian airspace. If I don't land in
Canada, and since my flight originated in the US, what requirements, if
any, are there for doing this? Is a VFR flight plan required, do you
need a FCC radio license for your aircraft since you would be
transmitting in Canadian airspace, and are there any ATC fees to pay for
using Canadian airspace?

You need to be talking to some ATC while you're crossing the border. It's
easiest if you get flight following the whole way. NavCanada will send
the aircraft owner a bill for $15, but will cover the aircraft for the
whole quarter, if you decide to do it again.

Nobody is going to board your plane in mid-air to look for a radio
license.

The last question is, what would be the difference if I did this same
flight IFR?

Well, it makes it easier to be talking to somebody as you cross the
border. Otherwise, no change.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
When C++ is your hammer, everything looks like a thumb.

I have flown through Canadian airspace from the US to AK numerous times
(always IFR) and never recieved a bill for it. I flew from Europe to the
US, which involved three landings in Canada and I was billed byNav Canada
that time. I think that you are only billed if you land in Canada.

Mike
MU-2

Old October 3rd 05, 02:51 AM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Mike Rapoport" said:
"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
easiest if you get flight following the whole way. NavCanada will send
the aircraft owner a bill for $15, but will cover the aircraft for the
whole quarter, if you decide to do it again.

that time. I think that you are only billed if you land in Canada.

Yes, I corrected that in a later post.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"You're one of those condescending Unix computer users!"