Sec. of State Rice warns Russia about Bombers off Alaska

Old August 22nd 08, 09:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval
george

Default Sec. of State Rice warns Russia about Bombers off Alaska

On Aug 23, 8:26 am, "Dean A. Markley" wrote:

Disagree. Ever have a Northern Banded Watersnake come at you? Not big,
not poisonous but mean and scary as all hell.

That's why I like living here.
Our only snakes are either in parliament or Psychology departments
Old August 22nd 08, 10:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval
Richard Casady

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 16:26:36 -0400, "Dean A. Markley"
wrote:

Richard Casady wrote:
On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 14:00:32 -0700 (PDT), george
wrote:

On Aug 22, 6:10 am, "William Black"
wrote:
"Rob Arndt" wrote in message

So what? Sounds like Condi has more ****ing balls than you do. What do
you do when a hunter with a rifle encounters a hostile bear? Drop his
gun and get into the fetal position hoping it will just sniff around
you and leave? No, you aim and shoot the ****er dead.

----------------------------

That's great, right up to when you realise that the bear has a gun too,
and so does his wife and his kids.

I can't work out as to why his only solution to a wild animal is to
destroy it.
The simile is absurd

Of the critters in North America, only bears, possibly moose, are
dangerous enough to occasionally need shooting in self defence. All
the rest get a pass unless one needs to eat them. [I haven't shot any
game in about thirty years.]

Casady

Disagree. Ever have a Northern Banded Watersnake come at you? Not big,
not poisonous but mean and scary as all hell.

Don't need a gun to kill one. It's a small snake not a Cape Buffalo. I
would hit it with my stick and not draw even if I was carrying. If it
is moving it would be a difficult target. Unless you are expecting a
war, the defence gun will likely be a pistol. A snake is a difficult
target for a gun and dead easy for a cane. I had a rabid coon in the
house and I killed it with a baseball bat, without spilling any blood.
Maybe I used a golf club. Whichever. I have both lying around, handy
in case I want to hit something.

Casady
Old August 23rd 08, 01:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval
dott.Piergiorgio

wrote:
"Rob Arndt" wrote in message

[...]

Pleaseeee..... I have haved here "close & personal" disagreement between
me, Vipers (Aspis) and my pickaxe handle and I can assure that isn't an
easy fight, because the basic tactics, somewhat opposite the "cross the
T" (you must be alongside, having more target area to aim and out of the
bite arc) are too well understood by these little, fast & nimbly 10"-14"
long reptilians whose countermanouvre really too well and in many cases
you must jump sideways to avoid the bite to the bare foot (here in
southern Italy you really need to wear sandals or even be barefoot
indoors, trust me...)

It's a really nonsense that here in Italy the "DDs" (that's, porcupines
& the tiny European hedgehogs) can't be privately owned, even if you
have a really large garden...

(Now the fellow s.m.n.ers surely understand why I have my peculiar
opinion on the whole counter-speedboat tactics & equipment issue..)

Best regards from Italy,
Dott. Piergiorgio.
Old August 23rd 08, 11:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval

Of the critters in North America, only bears, possibly moose, are
dangerous enough to occasionally need shooting in self defence. All
the rest get a pass unless one needs to eat them. [I haven't shot any
game in about thirty years.]

Wolverines? Although no occurence of attack on humans listed, watching
their tracks precisely match the ones you left on a prior hike makes
you wonder whether you're the game.
Old August 23rd 08, 06:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval
[email protected][_2_]

On Aug 23, 1:38*pm, (Richard Casady)
wrote:
On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 11:12:35 -0700, Steve Hix

wrote:
In article ,
(Richard Casady) wrote:

It is easier to avoid a snake than shoot it.

I've lived in rattlesnake country almost all my life. Never a problem,
as long I take some care turning over rocks or logs in the spring, when
the hatchlings are first out. If I could just convince the local bull
snakes to move in on the gophers...

Many western ranches do nothing to discourage rattlers in the barn.
They like the rodents less.

Casady

Uh, not if they have livestock. Rattlesnake bites on cows are
expensive.
Old August 23rd 08, 08:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval
Richard Casady

wrote:
On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 11:12:35 -0700, Steve Hix

wrote:
In article ,
(Richard Casady) wrote:

It is easier to avoid a snake than shoot it.

I've lived in rattlesnake country almost all my life. Never a problem,
as long I take some care turning over rocks or logs in the spring, when
the hatchlings are first out. If I could just convince the local bull
snakes to move in on the gophers...

Many western ranches do nothing to discourage rattlers in the barn.
They like the rodents less.

Casady

Uh, not if they have livestock. Rattlesnake bites on cows are
expensive.

Livestock are in the pasture. Hay and equipment are in the barn. Any
snake in the barn is not in the pasture.

Casady