Flarm Antenna Extension

Old May 23rd 20, 03:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou

Default Flarm Antenna Extension

I'm in a situation where I need to elevate my Flarm antenna above the glare shield to avoid interference directly ahead of the glider(LAK17AT) due to the carbon nose cone. I'm getting a pretty nasty blind spot there.

I've seen installations where the Flarm antenna was elevated using a "paint stir stick" that was attached to the side of the glare shield. Essentially, that put the antenna on a mast.

Two questions to the hive -

1) Has anyone seen a more elegant solution?

2) Does the Transponder antenna need to be elevated too? (That seems to get good reception in it's current location on the side of the glare shield.)

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Lou
Old May 23rd 20, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce

On Saturday, May 23, 2020 at 7:48:27 AM UTC-7, MNLou wrote:
I'm in a situation where I need to elevate my Flarm antenna above the glare shield to avoid interference directly ahead of the glider(LAK17AT) due to the carbon nose cone. I'm getting a pretty nasty blind spot there.

I've seen installations where the Flarm antenna was elevated using a "paint stir stick" that was attached to the side of the glare shield. Essentially, that put the antenna on a mast.

Two questions to the hive -

1) Has anyone seen a more elegant solution?

2) Does the Transponder antenna need to be elevated too? (That seems to get good reception in it's current location on the side of the glare shield.)

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Lou

I 3D printed a bracket that attaches by the glare shield mounting bolt. I was able to set the antenna out toward the side too. It looks good and seem to do the job. As far as the ADSB if you're happy with it's range, leave it. The ADSB signal is a lot stronger.
Old May 23rd 20, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, May 23, 2020 at 10:48:27 AM UTC-4, MNLou wrote:
I'm in a situation where I need to elevate my Flarm antenna above the glare shield to avoid interference directly ahead of the glider(LAK17AT) due to the carbon nose cone. I'm getting a pretty nasty blind spot there.

I've seen installations where the Flarm antenna was elevated using a "paint stir stick" that was attached to the side of the glare shield. Essentially, that put the antenna on a mast.

Two questions to the hive -

1) Has anyone seen a more elegant solution?

2) Does the Transponder antenna need to be elevated too? (That seems to get good reception in it's current location on the side of the glare shield.)

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Lou

Schleicher ships allow mounting a small adapter bracket on the front canopy latch with Velcro. I also have mounted the FLARM antennas on a small angle bracket made of bent polycarbonate on the canopy frame with Velcro. Yes they will pull off when jettisoning the canopy.
Transponder antenna gets a stronger signal so it can stay lower.
FWIW
UH
Old May 23rd 20, 05:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

Dual antennas on side of canopy work best.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Httn941spbCVs8S47

Sample installations, range analyses and article:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...aEthaHP9KMHJ-G
Old June 3rd 20, 10:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, May 23, 2020 at 11:32:19 AM UTC-5, George Haeh wrote:
Dual antennas on side of canopy work best.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Httn941spbCVs8S47

Sample installations, range analyses and article:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...aEthaHP9KMHJ-G

What George said, I have the same installation in my 29 and get very good range reports of up to 10 km. Flarm A and B can be easily installed in the "well" on the side of the cockpit frame, right in front of the sliding window. Use the longer dipoles as shown in Geoge's pics.
Old June 7th 20, 01:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ray Mocal

Great info in those pics and range reports. I am struggling with the same issues here in Australia with a mini oz flarm in my LS6. Now tha power flarm has a smaller version I will probably get one but would like to try an external antenna first. Does anyone have experience with the external antenna mounted on top of the fuse just behind the cockpit? I think it has a cowling and would not be too much of a hindrance by the look of it? Any help appreciated. Cheers Ray.

Old June 7th 20, 03:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

People gave me hell about mounting my transponder antenna mode C behind my fuselage on top but in reality no issues ever having being seen or seeing with it.

CH
Old June 13th 20, 06:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou

I want to thank everyone who weighed in on my question - especially to George Haeh for his article and photographs.

I went with low tech - a 6" x 3/4" wood piece cut from a paint stick. My wife does tie dye shirts, etc so she dyed the piece black. Nice color and finish. A couple of pieces of 3m dual lock completed the installation on the outside of the glare shield.

The hardest part was figuring out which antenna was the Flarm antenna. I buried the core deep into the panel and didn't want to tear everything apart to figure it out.

Hopefully, I can fly in a "target rich" environment soon and get another Range Analyzer plot that doesn't have the 12 o'clock dead spot.

Lou