When to start building the B3?

Old July 5th 03, 07:19 PM
Henry J. Cobb

Default When to start building the B3?

There will be a B3 manned heavy bomber.

The mission is not going away.

The big question is will the United States be able to build a bomber
that is a big enough improvement on the B2 to justify the development
before we run out of heavy bombers?

I think the answer is yes.

The big improvement of the B3 on the B2 is going to be the use of
woven nanotube construction in place of carbon fiber. It will be
larger, stronger and no heavier.

The crew expands to four. They take turns flying to and from the
battlefield and while on station one crewmember flies the bomber while
the other three operate sensors and UAVs.

The first B3s should enter service in the early 2020s. At a low level
of production they be able to take over as the primary heavy bomber in
2037 when the B52s and B1s are falling apart.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...rcraft/b-3.htm

-HJC
Old July 6th 03, 01:36 AM
Paul Austin

"Henry J. Cobb" wrote
[...]

There's this problem. Nanotube-stiffened composites have a_long_way to
go before anyone would use them for primary structure. The nanotubes
themselves are gleams in folks eyes and based on carbon fiber
composite experience, there will be a fairly long learning experience
before they are ready for prime time.

It's not plain to me that there_needs_to be an aircraft with much more
payload to structure weight than a B2. Building a B2C with the reduced
maintenance/cost stealth features of the F35 seems more like the way
to go. Even that would require essentially a fresh start procurement
with new subs bidding all the pieces.

Old July 6th 03, 10:24 PM
Tiger

"Henry J. Cobb" wrote:

[...]

A B3 is not going to do any good for a guy taking sniper fire on a Bagdad
street corner!
We need basics, not more gizzmos. The budget will be stretched just
buying f22's & f35's.

Old July 6th 03, 11:05 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Bill Silvey" wrote in message
m...
Tuesday.

Crap, no, I've got a doctor's appointment. Let's start Wednesday.

A proctologist to help you pull your head out, Bill?

Old July 7th 03, 12:33 AM
BOB URZ

"Henry J. Cobb" wrote:

[...]

Well, the US bought hundreds of B52's
Maybe a 100 B1's or so.
20 some B1's
So, maybe the US could afford 5 or so B3's?
And only if the warp drive is perfected by then.
And the B4? maybe one would do.

The USAF should contract with Ron Popeil for
a B-Bomb o Matic. Only 3000 easy payments of
$49.95.

BOB

Old July 7th 03, 08:10 AM
Fred B

"Tiger" wrote in message

"Henry J. Cobb" wrote:

[...]

And the fix for the guy taking sniper fire on a Bagdad street corner is not
going to do anything for the cruise missile fired from an offshore gunboat!
DUH! How meaningless can a response possibly get? I could never have
guessed.
Wait...a whole new genre of criticism is he
"Fixed a dislocated shoulder will not do anything for an ovarian cyst."
"Changing the transmission fluid is not going to get the CD player
working."
"Changing the baby's diaper is not going to address the fact that he's
stopped breathing."

Well, you get the idea. (Good freaking grief!)

We need basics, not more gizzmos. The budget will be stretched just buying

f22's & f35's.

I see. The military cannot solve more than one problem at a time. It's A OR
B, but C, D, E, F, G - Z must be totally ignored. (Rolling eyes and
groaning)

Old July 7th 03, 04:24 PM

"Dave Kearton" wrote:

"Fred B" wrote in message
. ..

| "Changing the baby's diaper is not going to address the fact that he's
| stopped breathing."

Dunno Fred, I've stopped breathing while doing that.

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Jesus yes...how tough must the little buggers be to survive
within a foot or so of those unholy messes?...how can it possibly
smell so BAD?...
--

-Gord.
Old July 7th 03, 08:28 PM

"Bill Silvey" wrote:

"Gord Beaman" wrote in message

"Dave Kearton" wrote:

"Fred B" wrote in message

"Changing the baby's diaper is not going to address the fact
that he's stopped breathing."

Dunno Fred, I've stopped breathing while doing that.

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Jesus yes...how tough must the little buggers be to survive
within a foot or so of those unholy messes?...how can it possibly
smell so BAD?...

I have a 6-month-old, I'm a stay at home dad and I ask myself that question
EVERY SINGLE DAY.

I commiserate with you...I raised four of the little urchins and
still marvel that such sweet little darlins can produce such
absolutely overpowering aromas...even looking back over the
elapsed sixty some years since my olfactory organs were so
horrendously assaulted the memory is sharp and clear. I guess we
were just paying our dues for the privilege of spending the rest
of our lives worrying about them and their's. Such is life I
guess.
--

-Gord.
Old July 7th 03, 08:29 PM
Bill Silvey

"Dave Kearton" wrote:

"Fred B" wrote in message

[...]

....and to bring this back on topic, slightly, frequently she *is* a "stealth
bomber", if you know what I mean.

--
http://www.delversdungeon.dragonsfoot.org
Remove the X's in my email address to respond.

Old July 8th 03, 12:40 AM
Harry Andreas

In article , "Paul Austin"
wrote:

"The Enlightenment" wrote

"Paul Austin" wrote

"Henry J. Cobb" wrote
There will be a B3 manned heavy bomber.
There's this problem. Nanotube-stiffened composites have

a_long_way to
go before anyone would use them for primary structure. The

nanotubes
themselves are gleams in folks eyes and based on carbon fiber
composite experience, there will be a fairly long learning

experience
before they are ready for prime time.

last time I heard just plain (not even woven) nanotube was

$2300/gram.

choke and I thought space-grade stuff was expensive. The price will
come down as we learn to make them in industrial quantities but I
still don't see a pressing need to substantially lighter primary
structure in a bomb-truck.

It's only money for fuel and range limitations.

The lighter you can make the primary structure, the less power
it takes to fly your weapons. Better fuel fraction, less fuel used,
less $$, better range.

--
Harry Andreas
Engineering raconteur