Annual Costs - Take the Pledge

Old January 26th 04, 04:01 PM
Roger Long

Default Annual Costs - Take the Pledge

Annual costs are a hot hanger topic. All of us who follow GA maintenance
issues have seen how it goes. Preferred Aviation gives good advice so an
owner spends $5000 on his Skyhawk while it's in for the annual. When his
friends ask why the long face, he tells them he just had a five grand annual
at Preferred. They think, wow, I'd better go to Savemore Aviation for my
annual because, I can't afford a hit like that right now. Preferred then
gets a divot taken out of its market share for doing a proper job.

Every year, at the club meeting after our annual, somebody says that Joe
Pinchface gets his annuals done for $800 up at Savemore and why are we
spending all this money? I ask if he's read the report in the newsletter.
He doesn't have to read it because Joe has a damn fine airplane, he's flown
with him many times, and if he can get it through annual for $800 at
Savemore, there's no reason why we can't.

Last year, I had our shop give me two invoices. The first was for the
inspection and just the rock bottom, minimum necessary to legally sign the
plane off. Everything that could be deferred until after the plane had
flown again was put on a second invoice. We are used to spending $2000 to
$5000 at annual time. I reported to the club that we had a $1200 annual and
elected to do $2500 of other stuff while the plane was down and taken apart.
I was a hero and it was the first year I didn't have to listen to the
Savemore speech.

I used to recommend our late lamented shop to everyone. Several people said,
"Yeah, he's good but I can't afford his annuals." After last year's annual,
I told people who complained about our shop's high annuals that ours was
only $1200 on a Skyhawk and they said they might give him a try. If this
kind of billing was more common, an excellent shop might still be in
business.

So, take the pledge. If you are a shop, keep true annual costs separate so
you don't suffer annual cost inflation that scares away customers. If you
are an owner, ask for two invoices so you can better track expenses and not
scare customers away from the shop that you depend on.

--
Roger Long

Old January 26th 04, 05:37 PM
Mike Rapoport

Great story. It is amazing how many people expect an annual to cost $1000
when the inspection portion alone is $900. They must think that the
airplane is better than new a year after the last annual.

I believe in "efficient" maintenance. It is not efficient to have a part
fail at an inconvienent time, get a hotel, find a mechanic to work on
Sunday, fly the part in ect. When my plane is in for an inspection I want
them to call me with the squawk list before closing it up. If there is a
right side $175 relay that won't pass the test, I want to replace the left
side relay also while it is accessible. It saves money over replacing the
second relay two years later and spending $200 in labor just to access it.
It is generally cheaper to have my parts overhauled than to get an
overhaul/exchange so I try to schedule maitenance so that there is enough
time to have my parts overhauled.

Mike
MU-2

"Roger Long" om wrote in
message ...

Old January 26th 04, 05:42 PM
Ron Natalie

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message link.net...
Great story. It is amazing how many people expect an annual to cost $1000
when the inspection portion alone is $900. They must think that the
airplane is better than new a year after the last annual.

Of course the converse is that shops will quote "$700" annuals when they know
there is no way the plane will leave the shop for that amount.

Old January 26th 04, 06:02 PM
Newps

It also depends where you live. Here in Billings I could bring my 182
to the Cessna dealer on the field. They get about $70 an hour for
labor. I bring in a pristine plane I cannot get out of there for less
than $2000. I have had them do a few things to my plane, but damn few.
I'm not going to pay that labor rate when I can pay $40 per hour for
arguably better work at a field 30 miles SW of here. His flat rate on a
182 annual is $450, which except for the Cessna dealer, is the going
rate around here. I have built up a relationship with this guy over the
last 5 years. My annuals have been between $1000 and $2500. The only
things I defer is the stuff I can do myself, like tires, brakes, etc.
Simply saying a $5000 annual is better than a $500 annual is silly.
There are a few IA's around here that do annuals out of their pickups in
their spare time. They do damn good jobs for very little money,
although I have no interest anymore in opening/closing up the inspection
panels to save a few hundred dollars.

Old January 26th 04, 06:39 PM
Roger Long

You completely missed the point. Read it again.

--
Roger Long

Old January 26th 04, 11:46 PM
Dude

A good idea! Seperating the inspection and mandatory work from the repairs
and better to fix it nows is a wise idea.

I have been going to a Savemore (first shop I ever used), and boy was I
PO'd when I got stuck 800 miles from home only 1 week after the annual for
fully broken exhaust.

Other things that they had let go or missed had been hassles in the past,
but this one could have killed me. They lost my business.

"Roger Long" om wrote in
message ...

Old January 27th 04, 03:34 PM
Doug Vetter

Roger Long wrote:
snip
So, take the pledge. If you are a shop, keep true annual costs separate so
you don't suffer annual cost inflation that scares away customers. If you
are an owner, ask for two invoices so you can better track expenses and not
scare customers away from the shop that you depend on.

Good post, Roger. I wish more people understood the distinction between
an annual inspection, the work needed to make the airplane airworthy as
a result of that inspection, and all the extras that make sense to do
while the airplane is in pieces.

For the annual on our 172 that just ended last month, our mechanic
quoted us 18 hours of labor on just the inspection. Turned out he did a
VERY thorough inspection in that time and managed to come up with lots
of little things that others had missed over the last few years...which
brings up another important point.

It doesn't matter what you spend on the inspection portion of an
annual...it's the quality of that inspection that matters. Some guys
can do it in more time, some in less...but what matters is whether the
IA actually does his job. We are fortunate in that respect to have a
good long-time friendship and business relationship with our mechanic.
He knows we are particular about the airplane and takes pride in his
efforts to find all the stuff that others may have overlooked.

The inspection plus parts and labor to fix various things (new brakes,
etc.) totaled about $2000. Quite reasonable, and about average for this
airplane. Of course, if I mentioned outright that the total bill for
our "Annual" reached $7200, my mechanic would likely have no business.
In truth, half that cost was the propeller and governor overhaul that we
(not our mechanic) made the call to do, and the remainder covered lots
of little items that we considered important to do in the interest of
safety or cosmetics and "while the hood was up".

FYI, if you want to read the full story on our annual, I've written a
three part series of articles and posted them on my site. Click through
"Aviation-Articles-Maintenance".

-Doug

--
--------------------
Doug Vetter, CFIMEIA

http://www.dvcfi.com
--------------------

Old January 27th 04, 08:14 PM
Paul Sengupta

The annual on mine last year - no work needed, just the inspection,
cost just over £1700. Includes a radio check and a recurring "use a
mirror to look at the prop flange" AD.

They do a thorough job though, but I'd expected (before I bought
the place) the inspections to be only about £1000.

Crossposting this to uk.rec.aviation. How much are annual inspections
on everyone else's planes in the UK? (just the inspection part)

Paul

et...

Old January 28th 04, 03:16 PM
Fly

I quote hours needed for inspection with no repairs needed.

This ranges from 10 to 50 hours depending on the model of single or twin.

I work free lance. I do not add to price of parts, but I do charge for time
taken to get them.

Kent OK

Old January 29th 04, 12:10 PM
Kees Mies

My plane's annual last november was 1450 euro total.
Only the fuel pressure transducer needed to be replaced, 500 euro.
The avionics test was nearly 200 euro, just VHF, xponder + encoder.

Btw, I fly a Rallye.
Not a very complicated aircraft.