FYI Bio zoom ZZZZZZZZ

Old December 13th 06, 02:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
ChuckSlusarczyk

Default FYI Bio zoom ZZZZZZZZ

This is the updated zoom bio from the RRL web site it's a hoot!!Just for grins
I'm going to contact National Geographic.Popular Science and Popular Mechanics
to see if zoom ever had a published article in them. Here's where it's at:

www.rocketracingleague.com/bio_jim-campbell.html

Chuck S RAH-14/1 ret

and now heeeerrreeesss the bio!!!

Jim Campbell
Advisor, Pilot, Aviation
James R. "Zoom" Campbell may be the world's busiest aviation journalist having
had his adventures and/or stories documented in US Aviator, Popular Science,
Popular Mechanics, Time, Air Progress, Sport Pilot, Kitplanes, National
Geographic, Private Pilot, Pacific Flyer, The Aero-News Network and over 100
other publications. The author of over 2000 magazine articles, tens of thousands
of news dispatches, the photographer of over 200 magazine covers, and arguably
one of the most experienced general and sport aviation journalist/test pilots in
the sport and general aviation writing business, Jim Campbell is driven by a
passion for aviation that few can match.
A commercially rated pilot, Campbell has earned Flight instructor Ratings
(CFI/A/I/ME/H) in fixed and rotary wing aircraft, and logged over 17,000 flight
hours in over 1100 different ultralights, jets, multi-engine A/C, helicopters,
gyroplanes, autogyros, sailplanes, seaplanes, kit aircraft and general aviation
birds.
Among Campbell's many other lofty accomplishments are his 1981 Ultralight World
Record High Altitude flight to 21,210 feet over Lakehurst, New Jersey; flying on
behalf of President Ronald Reagan as an airshow pilot during the 1981-82 Air and
Space Bicentennial; several years of film and TV aviation stunt work; his 1981
Ultralight Flight Across America; 17 published books in the aviation field (with
three more in the works for '06-'07); the first aviation journalist to solo and
evaluate the awesome Russian Sukhoi SU-26 and SU-31, the FEW P-51 Mustang, the
Unlimited 10-300 and many other high performance aircraft. Jim was also the
first fly-writer to sample and document the intriguing capabilities of the BD-10
Jet, the Glasair III, the Van's RV-6 and dozens of other pivotal aircraft.
The Editor-In-Chief and Chief of Flight Test Operations for the Aviation World's
Most Comprehensive DAILY News Service, the Aero-News Network; he is hard at work
on the next edition of the "SportPlane Resource Guide" and some aggressive
aerospace book projects. He is also heavily involved in a number of television,
radio and other media projects utilizing his aviation expertise.
More recently; Campbell led the news and photography team that provided primary
media pool services for the Ansari X PRIZE competition, including most of the
SpaceShipOne air-to-air photos that were published all over the world following
the three successful suborbital flights of Burt Rutan's world-changing
spacecraft. He has also served as principal Zero-G photographer during several
hundred parabolas for the Zero-G Corporation's Zero-Gravity flights. A graduate
of the National Test Pilot School, he is the CEO/Publisher of what has become
one of the aviation world's most widely read news services, the Aero-News
Network (http://www.aero-news.net).

Old December 13th 06, 04:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ron Wanttaja

On 13 Dec 2006 05:01:04 -0800, ChuckSlusarczyk
wrote:

This is the updated zoom bio from the RRL web site it's a hoot!!Just for grins
I'm going to contact National Geographic.Popular Science and Popular Mechanics
to see if zoom ever had a published article in them. Here's where it's at:

Tony had me do some research during the lawsuit, Zoom did get an article or two
published in PM during the '80s. Never found anything in National Geographic;
someone said they heard it had been a letter, not an article.

For those who'd like an update to the Zoom lawsuit situation, here's my current
understanding:

1. Zoom's lawsuit against SnF's security company has been dismissed.

2. One of the two main complaints in the SnF case was dismissed...the one
relative to SnF posting his driver's license to assist security personnel.
Turns out, in Florida, the license is public record.

3. In January of this year, Zoom agreed to a deposition in March. Two weeks
prior to the deposition, he backed out, with his lawyer stating, ""...Mr.
Campbell will be out of the state during the month of March and possibly April."

Long trip.

4. Another set of depositions were scheduled for November, with SnF having Zoom
deposed and Zoom having five people scheduled to give depositions. Since
nothing has been added to the docket regarding rescheduling, I assume the
depositions were held as planned.

(Read the docket at:

https://ori2.polk-county.net/ct_web1...5&ascrttype=CR

5. In the lawsuits Zoom served at SnF 2005, Zoom gained a default judgement
against Powrachute for around $22,000. However, the company had been sold by
the time the suit was served, and judgement is thus against a Kansas company
that no longer exists (or if it still legally exists, it has no assets). It
seems that neither the sued version of Powrachute nor the current owner of the
aircraft line ever responded to the suit. This explains the default judgement,
and may indicate that it may be difficult to collect from either party.

6. Campbell also won a default judgement against Controlvision, but the
defendant's attorneys got it set aside in April. In August, Zoom said he was
ready to go to trial. A pretrial conference had been scheduled, and
Controlvision filed an objection. Zoom's attorney has since withdrew the notice
that they were ready for trial.

https://ori2.polk-county.net/ct_web1...3&ascrttype=CR

7. On the same date the motion was filed that indicated Zoom was ready to go to
trial with Controlvision, a similar motion was filed in Zoom's suit against
Liberty Aerospace. Zoom's attorney withdrew THIS notice a couple of days after
withdrawing the Controlvision one.

https://ori2.polk-county.net/ct_web1...4&ascrttype=CO

8. I don't know why the "ready for trial" notices were withdrawn. However,
they were both filed about the time the default judgement was being finalized in
the Powrachute case, and withdrawn about two months later. There are
undoubtedly good legal reasons why the notices were withdrawn, but note my
speculation about whether Zoom will actually ever collect anything from the
Powrachute default judgement. It may be that Zoom was anticipating using the
Powrachute judgement to fund his legal expenses in these trials. Alternately,
it may be that Zoom's attorney didn't want to be working on these cases with the
SnF depositions coming up.

Ron Wanttaja
Old December 13th 06, 04:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
BobR

Gee...I wonder who wrote it for him?

They forgot to add that he walks on water and his **** doesn't stink.

Old December 13th 06, 04:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
BobR

My oh my but we do sue a lot of our former advertisers don't we. I
wonder if KitPlanes and AVWEB have to sue so many of their advertisers.

Old December 13th 06, 05:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Harry K

ChuckSlusarczyk wrote:
This is the updated zoom bio from the RRL web site it's a hoot!!Just for grins
I'm going to contact National Geographic.Popular Science and Popular Mechanics
to see if zoom ever had a published article in them. Here's where it's at:

www.rocketracingleague.com/bio_jim-campbell.html

Chuck S RAH-14/1 ret

and now heeeerrreeesss the bio!!!

Wow! I was only into it about 2 lines before the BS rose over my head.
If all the lies and distortions are extracted it doesn't leave much.

Harry K

Old December 13th 06, 05:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Al G[_1_]

"ChuckSlusarczyk" wrote in message

snip

Among Campbell's many other lofty accomplishments are his 1981 Ultralight
World
Record High Altitude flight to 21,210 feet over Lakehurst, New Jersey

Really? Wouldn't the FAI know about it? A google search "FAI Campbell"
comes up with a Sue Campbell, but I didn't see a James. What am I missing?

Al G

Old December 13th 06, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Wayne Paul

All official aviation related world records are maintained by the FAI. You
can view records at http://www.fai.org/records

When viewing the link, the first thing I noticed is that the FAI does not
have an "Ultralight" category. However, if you check airplanes under 300
kg/piston powered, you will not find him as the current or historical holder
of the an altitude record. The same is true for the Microlight category.

Wayne
HP-14 "6F"
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder

Old December 13th 06, 06:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Wayne Paul

I just noticed Steve Fossett's glider altitude record flight does not appear
in http://www.fai.org/records. However, I am sure it will be there in the
near future. (http://records.fai.org/gliding/pending.asp)

Old December 13th 06, 10:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
ChuckSlusarczyk

In article , Ron Wanttaja says...

wrote:

This is the updated zoom bio from the RRL web site it's a hoot!!Just for grins
I'm going to contact National Geographic.Popular Science and Popular Mechanics
to see if zoom ever had a published article in them. Here's where it's at:

Tony had me do some research during the lawsuit, Zoom did get an article or two
published in PM during the '80s. Never found anything in National Geographic;
someone said they heard it had been a letter, not an article.

I heard back from PM they said they have no searchable author data base.
National Geographic had a James Campbell who wrote an article about canoe trips
and the Everglades.Their base goes back to 1888. Hmmmm

Snip

..4. Another set of depositions were scheduled for November, with SnF having
Zoom
deposed and Zoom having five people scheduled to give depositions. Since
nothing has been added to the docket regarding rescheduling, I assume the
depositions were held as planned.

Can we get transcripts of the depositions? I'd love to see it.

See ya

Chuck RAH-14 ret and proud of it

Old December 14th 06, 01:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
olympusE1

....from the november 2004 nat geo archives:

By Shelley Sperry

Jim Campbell waited a little longer than usual this year to predict who
would win the U.S. presidential election. With the Republican Party
convention held just before Labor Day, the University at Buffalo, SUNY
political scientist tweaked his model a bit to account for George W.
Bush receiving a post-convention bounce in the Labor Day Gallup Poll,
Campbell's most important factor in predicting the November vote. In
the end, he created post-convention and pre-convention models, and both
say that Bush will win. Campbell does not take into account the
presidential debates. Using pre-convention polling numbers, Campbell
says Bush wins 52.8 percent of the popular vote for the Republican and
Democratic parties. Post-convention numbers predict he wins 53.8
percent. But what about the all-important electoral college vote? "If
my forecast is close, within two points," Campbell declares, "Bush will
clearly win the electoral vote as well."

Campbell created his current forecasting model in 1990 using two kinds
of predictors: public opinion and economic growth. "The Labor Day
Gallup Poll of likely voters accounts for about two-thirds of the
model," he explains. That poll showed Bush ahead of Democrat John Kerry
by 7 percentage points. But Campbell believes we have to read polls
along with other factors to put them in context. "Historically, there
is a relationship between the economy and people's voting patterns." So
the second factor in the model is the gross domestic product (GDP)
growth rate in the second quarter of the election year. This year's
rate was 3.3 percent, and, according to Campbell, anything roughly over
3 percent favors the incumbent.

In early September, Campbell and colleagues who specialize in analyzing
elections and public opinion took part in a lively roundtable in
Chicago, where they discussed their 2004 election predictions. Of seven
diverse models, six forecasted Bush would win in November-and the
seventh saw another election "too close to call."

Although Democrats may see these as gloomy projections, they can take
heart from a similar group of prognosticators who picked Al Gore as the
winner of the 2000 election. That year Campbell came closest to
predicting the popular vote outcome, saying Gore would win 52.8
percent. Gore did win the popular vote, with 50.3 percent, but lost the
electoral college contest and the presidency. None of the pundits
predicted the election would be a virtual tie, ultimately settled by
the Supreme Court.

For more information about elections, polls, and predictions, Campbell
recommends the sources listed below.

Related Links
Update for The American Campaign
wings.buffalo.edu/polsci/faculty_and_research/campbell/campbell.htm
James E. Campbell provides an update to his book, The American
Campaign, which extends through the 2000 presidential election.

....now YOU know, and I know that James E. Campbell is not PsychoBoy,
despite Ms. Sperry's unfortunate truncation of his first name. BUT, we
all know that reality and Captain Zoom are complete strangers, so there
is little doubt that he would, somehow, some way, try to make the best
of this mention in geo.

al

Zoom Cy Galley Home Built 213 May 17th 05 01:19 AM
Zoom sues...again ChuckSlusarczyk Home Built 9 April 28th 05 01:11 PM
Zoom fables on ANN ZZZZZZZZZZZZ ChuckSlusarczyk Home Built 49 July 22nd 04 06:06 PM
ANN is biased ZZZJJJ ChuckSlusarczyk Home Built 30 January 4th 04 02:58 PM