Tweaking the throttle on approach

Old March 9th 07, 09:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andy Hawkins

Default Tweaking the throttle on approach

Hi,

In article .com,
wrote:
Which makes sense... I mean heck, sometimes I think that automobile
drivers should be certified for manual transmissions. I see way too
many drivers who are very scary to be behind, when starting on hills
with their new 5-speed ;-)

In the UK, they are. You can either take your driving test in a manual or an
automatic. If you take it in a manual, you can drive either. If you take it
in an automatic, you can only drive automatics.

Andy

Old March 9th 07, 01:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose

In the UK, they are. You can either take your driving test in a manual or an
automatic. If you take it in a manual, you can drive either. If you take it
in an automatic, you can only drive automatics.

In the US it's the reverse. If you take it (or took it when I did,
mumble years ago) in a manual, that's all you could drive. If you took
it in an automatic, you could drive both. Go figure.

Jose
--
Humans are pack animals. Above all things, they have a deep need to
follow something, be it a leader, a creed, or a mob. Whosoever fully
Old March 9th 07, 01:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andy Hawkins

Hi,

In article ,
wrote:
In the US it's the reverse. If you take it (or took it when I did,
mumble years ago) in a manual, that's all you could drive. If you took
it in an automatic, you could drive both. Go figure.

???

So they reckon it's harder to drive an auto than a manual?

The mind boggles

Andy
Old March 9th 07, 02:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose

So they reckon it's harder to drive an auto than a manual?

I reckon it has to do with using the otherwise occupied foot for the
brakes. But that's just a guess.

Jose
Old March 9th 07, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Jose wrote:
In the UK, they are. You can either take your driving test in a
manual or an automatic. If you take it in a manual, you can drive
either. If you take it in an automatic, you can only drive
automatics.

In the US it's the reverse. If you take it (or took it when I did,
mumble years ago) in a manual, that's all you could drive. If you
took it in an automatic, you could drive both. Go figure.

The US is a very big place with several different state laws that change
from time to time. Unless you change the US to some more specific location
and maybe even specific date you are just plain wrong.

Old March 9th 07, 06:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Andy Hawkins writes:

So they reckon it's harder to drive an auto than a manual?

A car with an automatic transmission is perhaps considered "complex."

Old March 9th 07, 06:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Gig 601XL Builder writes:

The US is a very big place with several different state laws that change
from time to time. Unless you change the US to some more specific location
and maybe even specific date you are just plain wrong.

Correction: Your rightness or wrongness is indeterminate.

Old March 9th 07, 09:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow

Jose wrote:
In the UK, they are. You can either take your driving test in a
manual or an automatic. If you take it in a manual, you can drive
either. If you take it in an automatic, you can only drive
automatics.

In the US it's the reverse. If you take it (or took it when I did,
mumble years ago) in a manual, that's all you could drive. If you
took it in an automatic, you could drive both. Go figure.

Huh? That makes absolutely ZERO sense. (okay, it was gub'mint)

Old March 9th 07, 11:42 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
EridanMan

Default Mx: Tweaking the throttle on approach

Sounds doable, with a bit of practice.

Of course its doable, we do it all the time.

I don't have much trouble with it in the sim.

Utterly irrelevant statement... You mastery of an arbitrary task-load
designed to approximate a pilot's workload with a substantially
constrained interface says nothing.

Old March 9th 07, 11:59 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
How far above the runway? And you don't stall or get a tail strike?

Of course, something like an Archer likes to be landed a little
hotter, without having full back stick.

In the Baron I don't think I've ever pulled the yoke all the way back. I
stay
almost level until I'm very close indeed to the runway, then pull back on
power a bit and flare. No idle and no full back stick, though. I haven't
actually tried that, but from the way the Baron behaves my intuition tells
me
it wouldn't be suitable.

I heard that you run out of elevator authority if you get too slow but
that's only a guess...

Possibly. I'm usually at least 10 kts above stall speed so I don't really
know (or maybe you are not talking about a Baron?).

Too bad there isn't some kind of virtual flight instructor network for msfs.
You really could use it.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com