chain of events

Old March 11th 07, 06:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default chain of events

Blanche writes:

New York City, 1977
West Coast of USA, 1996

Since there are many thousands of power failures every day, I'll take this as
a "no" answer.

Old March 11th 07, 11:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow

"Mike 'Flyin'8'" wrote in message
An approach system doesn't have a UPS?

The article said it took a few seconds to kick in.

UPS's don't need time to "Kick In" That is why thet are called
UnInteruptable Power Supplies.

Generator power is another story. Typicall transfer times are
generally in the neighborhood of 10 seconds from a cold start to power
transfer.

So..was it really a UPS, or a backup generator? Remember, the story we got
was 2nd hand/anecdote.

Old March 11th 07, 11:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Schumann

The last people who tried to figure out if a TCAS warning was real were the
Russian pilots who had a midair over Switzerland a couple of years ago.
When you get a TCAS warning, you follow the TCAS instructions immediately.
Otherwise, you are taking your life in your hands.

Mike Schumann

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Mar 10, 1:04 pm, "KM" wrote:
On Mar 10, 12:59 am, Dave S wrote:

KM wrote:
On Mar 9, 9:39 am, Dave S wrote:

Dave, you also have to understand that the ATC facilities are at two
separate locations.

I understand that perfectly. Tower in one place. VOR in another.

Dave, with all respect, you dont understand.Tower in one place,
approach controll facility in another.If you get a frequency change
and try unsucsessfuly to check on what are you gonna do? Go back to
the last assigned, right?I think the last thing you are going to do is
just keep motoring along and ignore turning to final and ignore your
TCAS.

Forgive me for asking, but if I can't raise tower and TCAS is going
off, and the CDI shows I still have not intercepted the localizer, my
first priority would be to fly the airplane on the last assigned
heading and figure out if the TCAS warning is real. Attempting to go
back to the last assigned frequency will be a low priority item, no?

Old March 12th 07, 12:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt.Doug

"KM" wrote in message
How much are you offering this group Doug.Marginaly accurate posts
about airliners?

I admit I don't offer the spelling errors that you do,

The Civet is for 25L not the right.
KU

As compared to inaccurate posts like yours - Page 10-2A for KLAX in my
Jepps shows transitions for runways 24R, 24L, 25R, and 25L. Runway 25L was
closed that night for maintenance. You can't even get your initials right.
Is it KU, KM, KMU, or something else?

See, I WAS right.

Let's see.... I talk to pilots on layovers and read manuals. That makes
me a flight attendent. You are the winner... and still guessing.

Suspected troll? Doug, I am not the one who sings his posts "Capt".Is
mentioning a city code personal information.I am not the one
misrepresenting myself.You are kind of being a jerk here, but I will
tell you what, I am based in SLC and I am the 3rd guy on the list
(alphabetically) with these initials.If you email me I will give you
my name and ALPA number.

Just remove 'the' from the reply address. If I'm being a jerk, it's simply
because I treat people the way they treat me. I'm responding to you in the
manner you responded to me. Frankly, I expect more from someone who claims
to be an ALPA member. You read a couple of my posts and assume I'm a liar.
When I do the same to you, you freak out. You can dish it out but you can't
take it. Debating the subject of a post is expected since we come here for a
form of hangar flying. However, you overstep the bounds of good taste by
attacking posters personally. I expect more from someone who claims to be a
professional.

Doug, Lighten up. No one is trying to provoke you.

To which I offer a sample of your writing-

he does know a bit about airliners, but his posts show a
lack of understanding of enough of the detail to actually fly
one.Judging from his posts I would say he is probably a flight
attendant at NWA who flys on the side.And I would say he spends alot
of time talking to pilots about flying.

Hmm.... You call someone a liar but deny that you are provoking. Do you
really consider yourself to be a professional? You don't post in a mature
manner. Such behavior on the line around here would get you on a bunch of
no-fly lists.

Some of your posts
do not cast the industry in a very favorable light (Like the post
about watching movies),

Where is the key that unlocks the eyes of the blind? Many things in the
industry aren't perfect. Don't like it, don't read it.

and it is a little irritating when someone who
is masquerading as a airline pilot posts stupid stuff like this.I
would respectfully request that if you are going to continue these
kind of posts that you quit calling yourself "Captain" Doug.

Let's hope you are man enough to offer a public apology when you discover
the truth that is right in front of you. I also hope that you learn what
respect is.

BTW, I did some checking. My professional pilot friends from SJC are not
aware of any airlines with transport category jets having a pilot base in
SJC. Is that ALPA number you claim to have current and in good standing?

D.

Old March 12th 07, 01:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt.Doug

"Newps" wrote in message The TCAS is real, you are required to follow the
RA.

RAs are inhibited below a certain altitude in landing mode.

D.

Old March 12th 07, 02:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
KM

On Mar 11, 5:29 pm, "Capt.Doug" wrote:

Hey, its my old budy Captain "Dont call me Cliff Claven" Doug.I am
glad I didnt scare you off by asking what you do for a living.

I admit I don't offer the spelling errors that you do,

What can I say I am a product of the public school sistem and I ant
figered out which way to turn on that spell checker thing.

Let's see.... I talk to pilots on layovers and read manuals. That makes
me a flight attendent. You are the winner... and still guessing.

Am I getting hotter?

However, you overstep the bounds of good taste by
attacking posters personally. I expect more from someone who claims to be a
professional.

Now Clifford Douglas Claven, you listen to me.You are overstepping the
bounds of good taste by impersonating an airline pilot.You are showing
the people on this list a lack of respect by insulting their
intelegence.Just look at the Zany story that started this thread.I
would expect more from a profesional!

Doug, Lighten up. No one is trying to provoke you.

To which I offer a sample of your writing-

Leave my writing out of this.Its YOUR writing that is in question.You
post stuff about airliners that is obviously joking and then you take
issue when everyone laughs.If I were you, I would be proud of that.I
get a huge kick out of your posts.The only sad part is that you
dogidly cling to the belief that you fly heavies for a living.

You don't post in a mature
manner.

Dougey, I never claimed to be mature.I will claim that if you can
prove to us that you have flown 747s and Airbuses I will buy you a new
car.

Where is the key that unlocks the eyes of the blind? Many things in the
industry aren't perfect. Don't like it, don't read it.

Lose those darn keys again?

I did some checking. My professional pilot friends from SJC are not
aware of any airlines with transport category jets having a pilot base in
SJC. Is that ALPA number you claim to have current and in good standing?

Dougieeeeee, there is the Clff Claven thing again.I posted Salt Lake
City not SJC you silly goose.Delta airlines does in fact have a base
there.Look up K. Urban on the list 737-800.Now who do you work for?
Now Doug, please take what I am about to post to heart.I know we have
both had a laugh at each others expense but this is seroius now.I
enjoy backwards humor in your posts, but you probably dont want to get
caught impersonating a captain.If anyone at your work found out about
this there would be alot of ostrisism.You would be going out on
layovers all alone and there wouldnt be much of any discusion in your
cockpit.Other pilots are not going to have your sense of humor and it
is just not worth it.

Old March 12th 07, 02:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

Capt.Doug wrote:

"Newps" wrote in message The TCAS is real, you are required to follow the

RA.

RAs are inhibited below a certain altitude in landing mode.

Yes, I was aware of that. What is that altitude on say an ILS? Is that
altitude an FAA mandated altitude, the TCAS manufacturers preset specs
or a company ops spec?

Old March 12th 07, 03:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
Newps wrote:

Capt.Doug wrote:

"Newps" wrote in message The TCAS is real, you are required to follow the

RA.

RAs are inhibited below a certain altitude in landing mode.

Yes, I was aware of that. What is that altitude on say an ILS? Is that
altitude an FAA mandated altitude, the TCAS manufacturers preset specs
or a company ops spec?

The RA and TA inhibits are specified in the AC for TCAS (AC 20-151)

INHIBIT PARAMETERS

Increase Descent RA Inhibited below 1650 ft AGL while climbing and
inhibited below 1450 ft AGL while descending.

Descend RA Inhibited below 1200 ft AGL while climbing and
inhibited below 1000 ft AGL while descending.

TA Voice Messages Inhibited below 400 ft AGL while descending and
inhibited below 600 ft AGL while climbing.

RAs Inhibited below 1100 ft AGL while climbing, and
inhibited below 900 ft AGL while descending.
(TCAS automatically reverts to TA only).

Self-Test Can be inhibited when airborne.

Advisory Priority Automatically reverts to TA ONLY when higher
priority advisories (such as GPWS/TAWS and
Windshear) occur.

Climb RA Can be inhibited, based upon aircraft performance
capability.

Increase Climb RA Can be inhibited, based upon aircraft performance
capability.

--
Bob Noel
(gave up lookingn for a particular sig the lawyer will)

Old March 12th 07, 03:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
KM

On Mar 11, 8:02 pm, Bob Noel
wrote:
In article ,

Newps wrote:
Capt.Doug wrote:

[...]

Bob, thanks for pointing all of this out.I think Newps was asking more
in a retorical sense because an inhibited RA does not really apply to
this story.
Imagine that if the A340 crew never joined the LOC then they would not
have started a desent.This would put them at 1500 to 1700 AGL (typical
for a vector on to final from the north in LAX).Now if they passed 200
feet below (The aleged) Captain Doug's budy that would put his budy at
1700 to 1900 AGL (Aprox), so an inhibited RA would be a mute point.

Old March 12th 07, 06:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt.Doug

"KM" wrote in message Leave my writing out of this.Its YOUR writing that
is in question.You
post stuff about airliners that is obviously joking and then you take
issue when everyone laughs.If I were you, I would be proud of that.I
get a huge kick out of your posts.The only sad part is that you
dogidly cling to the belief that you fly heavies for a living.

Your writing WAS in question. Most everyone here can see through your
childish accusations. Your writing has seen to that. I merely egg you on for
entertainment. However now you bore me with the same material post after
post. Please do try to come up with some new personal attacks.

Dougey, I never claimed to be mature.I will claim that if you can
prove to us that you have flown 747s and Airbuses I will buy you a new
car.

I have flown Boeings and Airbusses, not heavies. I know it's hard for you,
being a product of public schools and all, but please keep the facts
straight. I prefer Lambourghini.

Dougieeeeee, there is the Clff Claven thing again.I posted Salt Lake
City not SJC you silly goose.Delta airlines does in fact have a base
there.Look up K. Urban on the list 737-800.

I'm still waiting for that e-mail. Perhaps you could include the phone
number for your ALPA pro standards officer and save me the time of looking
it up.

but you probably dont want to get
caught impersonating a captain.If anyone at your work found out about
this there would be alot of ostrisism. You would be going out on
layovers all alone and there wouldnt be much of any discusion in your
cockpit.Other pilots are not going to have your sense of humor and it
is just not worth it.

"in your cockpit"? "Other pilots"? So now you are back-pedaling and
admitting that I am an airline pilot. Is that as close as you can get to an
apology? Remember, I prefer Lambourghini.

D.