Whew - ASI died in flight

Old July 1st 06, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marc CYBW

Default Whew - ASI died in flight

Had my first "incident" in flying after some 175 hours in 172s mostly but
also Warriors and Arrows.

After 4 hours dual and solo learning how to fly my new fractional
ownership 182S, I decided I needed some solo practice and went out for an
hour of flying the circuit. Started my takeoff run and did the usual checks
(power, engine, airspeed) and after I got up to a little over 50 KIAS,
noticed that the plane wanted to fly off. Odd I thought, seemed a little
low, but up we went and once off the ground (maybe 50') noticed the ASI
going DOWN from 50 to 40 to 30 to ZERO. Great - 4 hours into a plane I have
just learned to land and no ASI.

Fortunately the tower (CYBW) was most helpful and called out my ground speed
(no wind today thank goodness) and I carefully stabilized my full flaps
descent at 60 Kts (by the Tower) and landed uneventfully.

Looks like a bug in the pitot tube was just far enough in that I did not
notice it on my pre-flight but the forward motion forced it to completely
block the airflow.

Certainly caught my attention!

Old July 1st 06, 05:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Marc CYBW" wrote:
After 4 hours dual and solo learning how to fly my new fractional
ownership 182S, I decided I needed some solo practice and went out for an
hour of flying the circuit. Started my takeoff run and did the usual checks
(power, engine, airspeed) and after I got up to a little over 50 KIAS,
noticed that the plane wanted to fly off. Odd I thought, seemed a little
low, but up we went and once off the ground (maybe 50') noticed the ASI
going DOWN from 50 to 40 to 30 to ZERO. Great - 4 hours into a plane I have
just learned to land and no ASI.

Same thing happened to me in one of my first flights after soloing
before PPL (bug in tube). My ASI worked fine until I rotated and then
stuck there. All other instruments were green, it was climbing like it
always did, and sounded and felt fine. I had asked for closed traffic,
but radioed that I needed a full stop with no ASI. They cleared me to
land and asked if I'd need help on the runway ... I know they have to
ask that, but my funny first thought was to say, "I'll let you know when
I get there!" Instantly, the glider training kicked in: "don't chase the
airspeed," "fly the pitch", and *listen* to the airspeed. It went fine.

They had covered up the airspeed indicator during training prior to solo
anyway, it's just different mentally when you *know* there's no use in
trying to peek!
Old July 1st 06, 06:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Vaughn Simon

"Marc CYBW" wrote in message

Fortunately the tower (CYBW) was most helpful and called out my ground speed
(no wind today thank goodness) and I carefully stabilized my full flaps
descent at 60 Kts (by the Tower) and landed uneventfully.

Neat! I didn't know that they could do that. In that situation, trim is
your friend. Set the trim where it is supposed to be and fly the trimmed speed
by feel, and you won't go far wrong. The view out the front is also important,
keep the horizon in the right place and your airspeed will be correct.

Did your CFI ever have you land with a covered ASI? My primary CFI was
always covering something.

Vaughn

Old July 1st 06, 06:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dale

In article ,
"Vaughn Simon" wrote:

Neat! I didn't know that they could do that. In that situation, trim
is
your friend. Set the trim where it is supposed to be and fly the trimmed
speed
by feel, and you won't go far wrong. The view out the front is also
important,
keep the horizon in the right place and your airspeed will be correct.

Did your CFI ever have you land with a covered ASI? My primary CFI was
always covering something.

I wouldn't use your trim procedure. There is a big difference in trim
settings with the 182 depending on loading. Solo you may need almost
full up trim for a normal approach...with the folks in the rear seat a
neutral trim setting will work pretty well.

Just put the nose where it's supposed to be...that works regardless of
load.
Old July 1st 06, 06:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
birdog

"Vaughn Simon" wrote in message

"Marc CYBW" wrote in message

Fortunately the tower (CYBW) was most helpful and called out my ground
speed (no wind today thank goodness) and I carefully stabilized my full
flaps descent at 60 Kts (by the Tower) and landed uneventfully.

Neat! I didn't know that they could do that. In that situation, trim
is your friend. Set the trim where it is supposed to be and fly the
trimmed speed by feel, and you won't go far wrong. The view out the front
is also important, keep the horizon in the right place and your airspeed
will be correct.

Did your CFI ever have you land with a covered ASI? My primary CFI
was always covering something.

Vaughn

Took off one bright and beautiful morning after an uneventual runup -
glanced at the oil pressure at about 50' and the little devil was setting on
zero - a lot more effective than a cup of coffee to wake you up. Did a wrap
around and landed downwind. Our A&P found that the indicator tube was
clogged. (This was years ago in an old 7AC).

Did I miss it on runup? Or did it clog on lift-off (probably not!)? Anyhow,
I never missed a gage check in many of years of flying thereafter.

Moral of the story: A CFI telling you something and staring at a crisis at a
critical time is more likely to attract attention and is sometimes necessary
for some of us dumbasses to get the message. But it sure ain't good
airmanship.

I shouldn't tell this, but it was many years ago, and I don't know any of
you folks, I hope.

My home base was a grass strip about 2500'. Half way down the runway was the
turnoff to the hanger area. Hitting the numbers and turning off at the exit
was somehow a macho thing among the locals, and if I floated too far, a go
around was habitual. Additionally, the local CFI was a P-51 pilot who could
land on a dime, and his humorous comments were to be avoided. Anyway, after
a long flight, I was coming into the VPI strip in Blacksberg airport, with
passengers, - a strip of at least 6000' - can't remember exactly - and being
kind of numb I crossed the threshold at 30-40' elevation---and automatically
did a go-around! After landing, the operations man came to help me with the
tie-down, etc., and asked if I had encountered a problem. All I could think
of - Naw, just checking the runway.

Old habits are sometimes embarrassing.

Old July 1st 06, 06:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_1_]

Dale wrote:
I wouldn't use your trim procedure. There is a big difference in trim
settings with the 182 depending on loading. Solo you may need almost
full up trim for a normal approach...with the folks in the rear seat a
neutral trim setting will work pretty well.

Just put the nose where it's supposed to be...that works regardless of
load.

You may find it educational to look at where the trim is in cruise flight vs
where it is with full flaps and proper approach speed. I've lost ASI three
times over the years and each time was after flying through a deluge. If you
start getting slow you'll know it by the way the plane feels. Sloppy handling
close to the ground is not good for your continued health and wellbeing.

But I digress. Look at where the trim wheel is for cruise and for approach.
This is information that is good to have.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old July 1st 06, 06:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stefan

Where I fly, flying with all instruments covered is a pre-solo exercise.
No whew-factor.

Stefan
Old July 2nd 06, 02:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Duniho

"Dale" wrote in message
[...]
Just put the nose where it's supposed to be...that works regardless of
load.

That has the same "problems" as using the trim. For a given airspeed, the
pitch angle will be higher for higher weights.

That said, IMHO either technique is reasonable as a rough guide if the ASI
fails. You may be as much as five or more knots off from where you expect
to be, but assuming a normal procedure (not short-field, for example) that
shouldn't be a problem.

Pete

Old July 2nd 06, 06:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Marc CYBW wrote:
Had my first "incident" in flying after some 175 hours in 172s mostly but
also Warriors and Arrows.

Do you have the old plumbed pitot system or the Air Data Computer LRU?

-Robert

Old July 2nd 06, 06:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

When I bought my Mooney the first fuel stop on my way home I departed
some remote airport in Texas and the ASI stuck at 50mph (not flying
speed) and then went down to zero. I was seconds away from enter the
clouds. I decided to use the 295 to turn back to land at 400 feet.
Seemed safer in that flat part of the country vs. enter IMC (I had a
clearance void time but wouldn't get radar contact for some time).

-Robert