Navy F-35C Gets A Big Wing

Old July 6th 07, 03:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval

Default Navy F-35C Gets A Big Wing

See:

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/blogs...5-0be0b200c7de

This means the F-35C will have a bigger wing than the F-15.

Old July 6th 07, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
John[_1_]

On Jul 5, 10:07 pm, wrote:
See:

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/blogs...plckController...

This means the F-35C will have a bigger wing than the F-15.

Crap . . . Don't even want to think what this redesign will cost. I
think JSF is an airplane we need, but does anyone recall the last time
a "clean sheet" design came even close to the estimated cost. I
understand part of the problem rests with the vendors trying to
underbid each other . . . and another part of the problem is that it
would be nice for the customer to have a better developed idea of what
he wants. Problem with that idea development process . . . is that it
costs money too. Dang . . . almost Catch 22

Sorry for the rant . . . take care all

John

Old July 6th 07, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
John Carrier

"John" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jul 5, 10:07 pm, wrote:
See:

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/blogs...plckController...

This means the F-35C will have a bigger wing than the F-15.

Crap . . . Don't even want to think what this redesign will cost. I
think JSF is an airplane we need, but does anyone recall the last time
a "clean sheet" design came even close to the estimated cost. I
understand part of the problem rests with the vendors trying to
underbid each other . . . and another part of the problem is that it
would be nice for the customer to have a better developed idea of what
he wants. Problem with that idea development process . . . is that it
costs money too. Dang . . . almost Catch 22

Sorry for the rant . . . take care all

John

One of my oldest and best friends is part of the F-35C carrier suitability
group. There are a lot of issues with the aircraft, many of which stem from
the design team's unfamiliarity with carrier operations and the design
requirements imposed: approach speed, attitude on touchdown, wingfold to
reduce deck multiple, maintenance implications ... the engine size makes R&R
difficult ... etc.

While the aircraft should introduce many capabilities that strike aviation
would love to have, I wonder if we'll be able to afford it in its final
configuration or live with the several OBTW's that will undoubtedly
accompany its introduction.

R / John

Old July 6th 07, 06:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
R. Scott

You realize that WE ... as in where I work had the airplane
that met all the requirements AND we were ready for production
not a total redesign needed as it seems Lockheed is now doing.

BUT, the airforce didnt like ugly (And im sure some politicals pulled
strings).

Ya gets what you pay for.

Old July 6th 07, 10:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Harry Andreas

In article , "John Carrier"
wrote:

"John" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jul 5, 10:07 pm, wrote:
[...]

I went through Carrier Suitability training back in the 90's as a prelim to the
JAST program, which eventually morphed into JSF.
A very interesting class.

While the aircraft should introduce many capabilities that strike aviation
would love to have, I wonder if we'll be able to afford it in its final
configuration or live with the several OBTW's that will undoubtedly
accompany its introduction.

Note that the F-35C will be the last version produced. The Navy has F/A-18E/Fs
and it may well come to pass that they would rather continue to buy F-18s
than pay through the nose for F-35Cs.
I personally predict that few F-35C's will be built.

--
Harry Andreas
Engineering raconteur
Old July 7th 07, 03:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
John Carrier

SNIP

Note that the F-35C will be the last version produced. The Navy has
F/A-18E/Fs
and it may well come to pass that they would rather continue to buy F-18s
than pay through the nose for F-35Cs.
I personally predict that few F-35C's will be built.

Agreed. Few or none.

R / John

Old July 7th 07, 10:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Eunometic

On Jul 7, 8:03 am, (Harry Andreas) wrote:
In article , "John Carrier"

wrote:
"John" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 5, 10:07 pm, wrote:
[...]

The F-35C will have good export prospects. One rumor has it that the
USAF purposely limited F-35 wing area so that only the F-22 had the
low wing loading to be a top class dog fighter so that program would
not be jeopardized in favor of an F-35.

The result is that the high wing load F-35 does not offer good dog
fighting abilities to nations that can't afford are can't be given an
F-22.

An F-35C adresses this issue.

Old July 7th 07, 12:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
John Carrier

SNIP

The F-35C will have good export prospects. One rumor has it that the
USAF purposely limited F-35 wing area so that only the F-22 had the
low wing loading to be a top class dog fighter so that program would
not be jeopardized in favor of an F-35.

The result is that the high wing load F-35 does not offer good dog
fighting abilities to nations that can't afford are can't be given an
F-22.

An F-35C adresses this issue.

It's possible. But I doubt that either choice in wing area (USAF or USN)
was determined based on relative maneuvering capability versus F-22.

R / John

Old July 9th 07, 04:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Harry Andreas

In article .com,
Eunometic wrote:

The F-35C will have good export prospects. One rumor has it that the
USAF purposely limited F-35 wing area so that only the F-22 had the
low wing loading to be a top class dog fighter so that program would
not be jeopardized in favor of an F-35.

Having worked with both Lockheed Burbank and Lockheed Fort Worth
I express extreme skepticism at this rumor.

From the day it was selected up until very, very recently USAF has
stated that the F-22 was not and would not be available for export for
security reasons.

Knowing that, why would LMAC shoot themselves in the foot?

Besides, dogfighting is not the envelope in which the F-22 is designed to fight.

--
Harry Andreas
Engineering raconteur
Old July 9th 07, 09:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval

On Jul 9, 12:00 pm, Herbert Viola wrote:

Last time I checked the wing loading on the F-35A was around 90lbs/inch2, very
similar to the F-16 and MiG-29. I don't think wing loading will hinder the F-35
as a fighter. Also, don't low flying aircraft, such as CAS platforms, need to
avoid low wing loading for flight stability?

I think the F-35 was meant to drop JDAM's from on high, not get
down in the weeds like the A-10 does.

Also, according to:

http://www.aerospaceweb.org/aircraft/fighter/f35/

The F-35C's large wing was also to be used in a proposed
F-35D model (which was cancelled) which would also have
featured an internal gun (right now, only the F-35A gets
an internal gun, the B and C models have provisions for
a gun pod though).