A doubt on cabin aircon

Old August 29th 06, 09:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default A doubt on cabin aircon

I've been on aircraft departing from Dubai during summer and wished I
wasn't before engine bleed air starts running the aircon, because for
some reason the cooling doesn't seem to have quite the same effect when
running from APU power, at least on the A3xxs.

Since this is certainly not something psychological, why was I feeling
uncomfortable? It isn't as if doors are kept open either, since
boarding is via airconditioned telescopic chutes, not ladders.

Ramapriya

Old August 29th 06, 10:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Montblack[_1_]

wrote)
I've been on aircraft departing from Dubai during summer and wished I
wasn't before engine bleed air starts running the aircon, because for some
reason the cooling doesn't seem to have quite the same effect when running
from APU power, at least on the A3xxs.

In the USofA, we mostly call it "....the A/C."

Montblack
Thought that might interest you.

Old August 29th 06, 10:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Montblack wrote:
wrote)
I've been on aircraft departing from Dubai during summer and wished I
wasn't before engine bleed air starts running the aircon, because for some
reason the cooling doesn't seem to have quite the same effect when running
from APU power, at least on the A3xxs.

In the USofA, we mostly call it "....the A/C."

Didn't use it to preclude inadvertent allusions to aircraft

Ramapriya

Old August 29th 06, 02:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

A/C on a jet runs from an air cycle machine using what is
called P3 bleed air. This is air that has been highly
compressed but prior to the burner section of the engine.
The air is at 150 to 300 PSI and over 1,000 degrees F as it
leaves the engine just due to being pressurized. The air
cycle machine is used to cool and expand the compressed air,
to mix ambient air to gain volume and can discharge air into
the cabin at a temperature within the range of 30-120
degrees. But the use of P3 air reduces engine power and on
really hot days [and nights] the crew will turn the P3 A/C
bleed air off to maximize engine power.
Aux power units are much smaller engines and they produce
enough power and bleed air to run a generator and supply
bleed air to start the main engines. That is not usually
enough to fully run the A/C.

www.boeing.com/commercial/cabinair/ecs.pdf

ups.com...

Old August 29th 06, 06:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Beckman

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message
A/C on a jet runs from an air cycle machine using what is
called P3 bleed air. This is air that has been highly
compressed but prior to the burner section of the engine.
The air is at 150 to 300 PSI and over 1,000 degrees F as it
leaves the engine just due to being pressurized. The air
cycle machine is used to cool and expand the compressed air,
to mix ambient air to gain volume and can discharge air into
the cabin at a temperature within the range of 30-120
degrees. But the use of P3 air reduces engine power and on
really hot days [and nights] the crew will turn the P3 A/C
bleed air off to maximize engine power.
Aux power units are much smaller engines and they produce
enough power and bleed air to run a generator and supply
bleed air to start the main engines. That is not usually
enough to fully run the A/C.

www.boeing.com/commercial/cabinair/ecs.pdf

In Phoenix, they stick a hose in a hole...

Jay B

Old August 29th 06, 06:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

The FBOs in Phoenix have portable air chillers they roll up
to the airplane to cool the cabin and even the baggage and
battery compartment. But it can get hot inside withy the
engines at ground idle.

Old August 29th 06, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Beckman

The FBOs in Phoenix have portable air chillers they roll up
to the airplane to cool the cabin and even the baggage and
battery compartment. But it can get hot inside withy the
engines at ground idle.

I was actually thinking commercial flights (as was, I thought, the OP...)

They can get cabins down right frigid when they get the hose in early and if
the compressor is running well...

I've actually heard people ask the FA if they could turn the air DOWN in
July.

Jay B

Old August 30th 06, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

| "Jim Macklin" wrote
in message

Old August 30th 06, 12:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Sorry for the blank post...hit the wrong key. What I was
going to say was that the FBO probably won't roll out the
air machine for your 172, but the bizjets and King Airs use
them all the time. An example, a heat soaked Beechjet
baggage compartment will reach the NiCad battery limiting
temperature and cooling the battery should be done before
engine start.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

"Jim Macklin" wrote
in message news:3_3Jg.6315$SZ3.3480@dukeread04...

| "Jay Beckman" wrote in message
|| "Jim Macklin"
wrote

Old August 30th 06, 01:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Beckman

Sorry for the blank post...hit the wrong key. What I was
going to say was that the FBO probably won't roll out the
air machine for your 172, but the bizjets and King Airs use
them all the time. An example, a heat soaked Beechjet
baggage compartment will reach the NiCad battery limiting
temperature and cooling the battery should be done before
engine start.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

Interesting...

I've experienced what our desert heat can do to car batteries...it ain't
good.

Jay B