The engine is finally back!

Old December 22nd 05, 05:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default The engine is finally back!

wrote in message
oups.com...
At Oshkosh this year the people at the Lycoming booth swore it would
take only two weeks, but when the actual paperwork arrived everything
said one month in the shop. It ended up taking a little over a month,
from the day it was crated by my mechanic to the day it was returned.

You've never been lied to before? You dumbass MoFo.

I don't know that he was lied to. You got to figure it took a week to get
from him to them and then a week from them to him. That means the work took
2 weeks.

Old December 22nd 05, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

BT,
Can I ask how much the OH cost at your local shop? I'm always interested
for when the day comes we'll have to OH one of ours.
Thanks
Jim

"BTIZ" wrote in message
I'll echo that... we did an overhaul by a local shop. Piper Pawnee
O-540-235HP with STC to 250HP

He did his normal run at the shop.. then once installed.. it was a quick
(short) static run (mag check) to check oil pressures and leaks.. then

shut
down inspect...

Then it was start and go.. no ground time.. it was 100F out and we did not
want to overheat on the ground... FULL Power climb to 10,000MSL where the
outside temps were cooler and we could run it full throttle at cruise.
Stayed there for 1+30 monitoring oil temp and pressure (no CHT available).

A few more flights at altitude to accumulate about 5 hours total before
putting it to work, glider tow.

Over 55 hours on the engine now and just swapped from Mineral to regular

AD.
All appears well.

BT

"dlevy" wrote in message
news
Same here.

"Paul kgyy" wrote in message
ups.com...
snip
I did my first 30 minutes orbiting the airport with tower permission.

Old December 22nd 05, 08:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

In article 6qnqf.6557$LB5.5831@fed1read04,
BTIZ wrote:

Then it was start and go.. no ground time.. it was 100F out and we did not
want to overheat on the ground... FULL Power climb to 10,000MSL where the
outside temps were cooler and we could run it full throttle at cruise.
Stayed there for 1+30 monitoring oil temp and pressure (no CHT available).

When I was member of a local club full of old pilots, they had a cilinder
crack on a 0-300 form a C172B. They pulled the cilinders, topped it and
then proceeded to 'break it in' by insisting on reduced power for the next
100hours...

I quit that club and joined another.

--
Eduardo K. | Darwin pone las reglas.
http://www.carfun.cl | Murphy, la oportunidad.
Old December 22nd 05, 11:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

They actually told me two weeks total- from the day it was shipped to the
day it was returned.

Old December 23rd 05, 05:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I'd have to check with the treasurer... but I think the shop price came
close to $19K.. plus we did out own "in house" labor for the R&R, plus new
braided oil lines..

BT

"BTIZ" wrote in message
[...]

"dlevy" wrote in message
news
Same here.

Old December 23rd 05, 05:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Viperdoc" wrote in message
news
They actually told me two weeks total- from the day it was shipped to the
day it was returned.

Well they were idiots for saying that and you have every right to be ****ed.
I assume you or they didn't ship the engine one or two day air. They really
should quote "time in the shop". It's not like they can control how long it
takes to ship.

Old January 15th 06, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

BTIZ wrote:

I'll echo that... we did an overhaul by a local shop. Piper Pawnee
O-540-235HP with STC to 250HP

Then it was start and go.. no ground time.. it was 100F out and we did not
want to overheat on the ground... FULL Power climb to 10,000MSL where the
outside temps were cooler and we could run it full throttle at cruise.

Well, glad to hear it's still doing OK, but in a normally aspirated
engine, you're not gonna' make the higher power settings you need for a
good breakin at 10,000msl. You're prolly not going to be able to make
much more than 55% power, even *at* full throttle.

Would have been better to stay lower where you could make 65-75% power
with that engine during those critical, first break-in hours.