Atlas is down...

Old December 28th 05, 01:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Atlas is down...

No, not *that* down...

Had my A&P install my new whiz-bang Iridium fine wire plugs yesterday, and
sent him on a chase for that pesky oil leak.

So what did he find? A cracked exhaust pipe, right at the weld in the
"gatherer" (where the three pipes come together).

Then, when we pulled the thing off, we found the inside of the muffler
rotted away.

Damn. Of course, the good news is that my plane didn't become a blow-torch
in flight, as it very well could have on our next flight. Nothing like
1500 degree gases 4 inches from gas and oil lines.

Oh well -- the best news is that (with the exhaust system off) he was able
to get at the bottom of the engine and tighten up some loose fittings that
should help alleviate my oil drips. That, and we're replacing the valve
cover gaskets with neoprene.

It's always *something*, ain't it? Now I get to DRIVE to Wisconsin today.
5.5 hours with two kids asking "are we there yet?"

Luckily, Dawley Aviation (the exhaust repair station) is on my way to
Racine, and I'll be able to swap out my old exhaust system for a "new" one
without going very far out of my way. Atlas should be back up and running
Friday.

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 28th 05, 02:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Make sure you bring your checkbook for the exhaust. If your muffler's
baqffles are gone and another pipe is bad, the others probably aren't
too far behind. Our "new" exhaust at annual was 1.8 AMU's for our IO-360
in 43H .. Ouch!! Like you said though, good thing it didn't fail in
flight.

Jon Kraus
'79 Mooney 201
4443H @ TYQ

Old December 28th 05, 02:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Jay Honeck wrote:

It's always *something*, ain't it?

Ain't that the truth.

Now I get to DRIVE to Wisconsin today.
5.5 hours with two kids asking "are we there yet?"

No options to rent an aircraft?

--
Peter
Old December 28th 05, 02:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Jim Burns wrote:

IFR forecast along his route. Freezing mist and fog changing to freezing
rain up by me.

Now, that's a horse of a different color...

--
Peter

Old December 28th 05, 02:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

In article ,
"Peter R." wrote:

Jay Honeck wrote:

It's always *something*, ain't it?

Ain't that the truth.

Now I get to DRIVE to Wisconsin today.
5.5 hours with two kids asking "are we there yet?"

No options to rent an aircraft?

There probably is, but it is most likely a high wing Cessna.
And we all know Jay would not be caught flying a high wing airplane,
don't we? :-))
Old December 28th 05, 03:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

It's been a rotten early winter for flying up here in the midwest. Repeated
systems of low clouds, ice, drizzle, freezing rain, or snow and wind with no
breaks between them.
Jim

Old December 28th 05, 10:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Jay Honeck wrote:

Damn. Of course, the good news is that my plane didn't become a blow-torch
in flight, as it very well could have on our next flight. Nothing like
1500 degree gases 4 inches from gas and oil lines.

It's a good thing he caught it on the ground. I had one of my
stacks break off at the flange a few years back and had to glide 5
miles back to the airport for a deadstick landing. The engine only
ran for about 20 seconds after the break before I shut it down, but in
that short time it seriously scorched the cowl and several plug wires.
Super hot gasses under the cowl can be a very bad thing.

Dawley is a great place for exhaust. It's hard to tell their
"overhauled" exhaust system from a brand new one.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old December 28th 05, 10:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Jay Honeck" wrote:

Had my A&P install my new whiz-bang Iridium fine wire plugs yesterday,

Why did you go to the f w plugs?

Old December 28th 05, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

wrote in message
oups.com...

Jay Honeck wrote:

Damn. Of course, the good news is that my plane didn't become a

blow-torch
in flight, as it very well could have on our next flight. Nothing like
1500 degree gases 4 inches from gas and oil lines.

It's a good thing he caught it on the ground. I had one of my
stacks break off at the flange a few years back and had to glide 5
miles back to the airport for a deadstick landing. The engine only
ran for about 20 seconds after the break before I shut it down, but in
that short time it seriously scorched the cowl and several plug wires.
Super hot gasses under the cowl can be a very bad thing.

Dawley is a great place for exhaust. It's hard to tell their
"overhauled" exhaust system from a brand new one.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

When Dawley gets done there isn't much of the original left. They do
excellent work.