Single-Engine Partnership vs. Used vs. Flying Clubs

Old January 12th 06, 03:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Single-Engine Partnership vs. Used vs. Flying Clubs

Salutations All,

I've been reading on aircraft ownership lately, and had a few
questions.

In general, how do aircraft partnerships work? Do partnerships exist
for singles? Are they a good idea vs. purchasing a used aircraft
outright? What about flying clubs - do they typically offer good
multi-day rental rates or have aircraft available for scheduled use?

I'm trying to get my head around all this - I'm no where near joining a
partnership or purchasing an aircraft (gotta get my PP first), but I've
noticed some websites devoted to these topics and it's piqued my
interest. I'm looking for people who have first hand knowledge of these
topics.

Thanks for the help!

Regards,
Bryan Porter

Old January 12th 06, 03:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

wrote:

In general, how do aircraft partnerships work? Do partnerships exist
for singles? Are they a good idea vs. purchasing a used aircraft
outright? What about flying clubs - do they typically offer good
multi-day rental rates or have aircraft available for scheduled use?

Simplistically, you can get a feel for it by understanding this:

1 = low 10= high

Operating costs (hourly and monthly)
==================
Owning: 10
Partnership: 7
Flying Club: 3

Aircraft Availability:
======================
Owning: 10
Partnership: 6
Flying Club: 3

Difficulty in reaching consensus in upgrading aircraft (avionics, interior,
etc):
Owning: 2 (depending on wife)
Partnership: 6
Flying Club: 10

Politics:
=================
Owning: 1
Partnership: 5
Flying Club: 8

--
Peter
Old January 12th 06, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Before you think too hard about it, remember that there are as many ways that
partnerships work as there are partnerships.

: In general, how do aircraft partnerships work? Do partnerships exist
: for singles?
Quite common

Are they a good idea vs. purchasing a used aircraft
: outright?
Often it reduces the cost considerably. The more an airplane is flown the
happier all of its systems is. Non-flying is the biggest cause of expensive
maintenance requirements like permature engine overhauls. Single-owners rarely can
afford the time or fuel-costs of running an airplane as much as it would like.... at
least 100 hours/year, but preferrably a good bit more. Partners spread that out...

What about flying clubs - do they typically offer good
: multi-day rental rates or have aircraft available for scheduled use?

Depends on the club.

: I'm trying to get my head around all this - I'm no where near joining a
: partnership or purchasing an aircraft (gotta get my PP first), but I've
: noticed some websites devoted to these topics and it's piqued my
: interest. I'm looking for people who have first hand knowledge of these
: topics.

Although it's a big leap of faith, buying, partnering, or joining a club
*WHILE* working towards a PP is usually more cost-effective than renting and then
buying/joining. Pilots often find trainer-class planes limiting in usefulness (speed,
range, load carying capability, avionics, etc) so they often want more shortly after
earning the PP. Clubs can help in this upgrading. It's more commitment than an hour
or two of rental, but less than outright ownership.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

Old January 12th 06, 08:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Peter R. wrote:

Aircraft Availability:
======================
Owning: 10
Partnership: 6
Flying Club: 3

This isn't quite true, depending upon what you mean by "availability". One
of the major advantages of a multi-plane club (of any sort) is the ability
to keep flying even if a plane is "down".

I actually experienced this a week or so ago. For a silly reason, the plane
I was planning to take wasn't available. Another club plane *was*
available. A quick dialog with our scheduling system via my Treo
(schedulemaster.com, which is also available via phone), a walk a few steps
down the ramp, and off I went in "the other" airplane.

If I were an owner or partner of a lone plane, I'd have had to cancel the
flight.

- Andrew

Old January 12th 06, 11:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I started training by renting. Shortly after the first rate hike, I joined a
local flying club to finish. I still belong to the club (172 & 182). About
1/4 way into my IFR training, I partnered with a couple other guys in the
club & we bought a Cherokee 180C.

We hardly ever have a schedule conflict, and if we do, the club planes are
usually available. I've debated staying in the club. But, our 180 is in the
shop right now for some engine work. It's nice to have access to the club
planes. The dues are probably less than what renters insurance is (guess, i
haven't researched that).

I kinda like flying different planes from time to time. The club gives me
that. 70% of my flying is in my partnership plane.

For someone starting out, I would suggest a flying club. You can avoid some
of the hassles of owning (maintaining/fixing) & focus on learning. Now, if
you plan to fly/train 3+ times a week, you'll need a club with several
planes or very understanding members while you book the heck out of the
thing. :-D

"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message
online.com...
Peter R. wrote:

Aircraft Availability:
======================

Old January 13th 06, 05:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Andrew Gideon wrote:

If I were an owner or partner of a lone plane, I'd have had to cancel the
flight.

But then again, if you were a single owner or partner you wound probably
not cause some of the incidents that have landed a few of the local flying
club's aircraft in the shop.

For example, a pilot in the club or a passenger didn't hold onto the door
one windy day and it sprung open with such a force that it ripped a few of
the screws from its hinges and bent the door. Two weeks down.

Another time a flying club pilot buried the nose of the club's C172 into
the runway during a single moment of inattention while landing on a clear,
VFR day. Several months of down time to repair the bent firewall and
damaged nosewheel, and perform all tasks related to a propstrike.

Or how about the time a new flying club pilot back-taxied down a single
strip and decided to turn around on the grass adjacent to the asphalt,
sinking the nosewheel into a gopher's hole and causing a prop strike. At
least one month down time. Ok, so maybe the gopher's hole could happen to
anyone but if it were your bird, you might think twice before leaving
perfectly wide asphalt for the unknown of the moderate rough.

--
Peter
Old January 13th 06, 08:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Peter R." wrote in message
Andrew Gideon wrote:

[...]

Rediculous...

The above "stupid pilot tricks" are just at do-able by a single owner and/or
one member of a partnership.

In fact, the thought that 38 other pilots might want to tear me a new one if
I do something that downs a plane makes me more cautious and not less.

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL
AZ Cloudbusters
Chandler, AZ

Old January 13th 06, 01:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Jay Beckman wrote:

Rediculous...

But true, Jay. Those anecdotes were not a figment of my imagination. All
of those examples actually happened to the local flying club at my airport
and all within the last three years.

My A&P is also the club's A&P, so every time I see one of the club's
aircraft in the maintenance hangar, I ask about him it.

The above "stupid pilot tricks" are just at do-able by a single owner
and/or one member of a partnership.

Perhaps.

--
Peter
Old January 13th 06, 02:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Andrew Gideon wrote:

If I were an owner or partner of a lone plane, I'd have had to cancel the
flight.

- Andrew

Not really. As an owner I do a post flight inspection after each flight
and make sure any problems are taken care of right away. No one else
flies the airplane so you shouldn't have many surprises. Large tasks
such as annuals can be scheduled when you're not going anywhere for
a few days.

OW
Old January 13th 06, 03:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Peter R." wrote in message
Jay Beckman wrote:

Rediculous...

But true, Jay. Those anecdotes were not a figment of my imagination. All
of those examples actually happened to the local flying club at my airport
and all within the last three years.

My A&P is also the club's A&P, so every time I see one of the club's
aircraft in the maintenance hangar, I ask about him it.

The above "stupid pilot tricks" are just at do-able by a single owner
and/or one member of a partnership.

Perhaps.

And people treat club aircraft "slightly" better than the average person
treats a rental car.

Gyrocopter Speed Mark Rotorcraft 36 August 16th 05 11:28 PM
100hr insp + non profit flying clubs DanH Owning 2 April 29th 04 11:27 PM