Trailer Suspension

Old June 9th 09, 03:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony Condon[_2_]

Default Trailer Suspension

I'm considering replacing the axle/suspension for the trailer on the
Cherokee. Reskinning the trailer after windstorm damage has devolved into
rebuilding the trailer. I'm sure you all know how that goes.

I've been looking at the Rubber Torsional axles and I'm curious what the
opinion of the group is. Does anyone have these on their glider trailers
currently? how is the ride? What about the durability? They really
aren't maintainable like a leaf spring would be. Any other opinions?

http://www.dexteraxle.com/torflex_axles

http://www.trailerpart.com/torsionaxles.htm

-Tony Condon
Cherokee II N373Y
Old June 9th 09, 04:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JC

On Jun 9, 11:00*am, Tony Condon
wrote:
I'm considering replacing the axle/suspension for the trailer on the
Cherokee. *Reskinning the trailer after windstorm damage has devolved into
rebuilding the trailer. *I'm sure you all know how that goes.

I've been looking at the Rubber Torsional axles and I'm curious what the
opinion of the group is. *Does anyone have these on their glider trailers
currently? *how is the ride? *What about the durability? *They really
aren't maintainable like a leaf spring would be. *Any other opinions?

http://www.dexteraxle.com/torflex_axles

http://www.trailerpart.com/torsionaxles.htm

-Tony Condon

We have these on most of the trailers at my club and they work fine.
One advantage is that the trailer can ride lower than with a leaf
spring. Installation is also very simple. In my opinion torsion axles
are the way to go.

Regards,

Juan Carlos

Old June 9th 09, 05:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

I've been looking at the Rubber Torsional axles and I'm curious
what the
opinion of the group is. *Does anyone have these on their glider trailers
currently? *how is the ride? *What about the durability? *They really
aren't maintainable like a leaf spring would be. *Any other opinions?

http://www.dexteraxle.com/torflex_axles

http://www.trailerpart.com/torsionaxles.htm

-Tony Condon
Cherokee II N373Y

Got a Torflex my trailer and I love it. Not only does it work
incredibly well and ride significantly better due to the independent
suspension, but the Torflex axles also come standard with the square
electric brake flange on them so you can upgrade to have brakes at any
point by adding the matching hubs/drums. If you do get the brakes too,
I bought my hubs/drums on ebay for cheaper than even EastMarine had
them for, but they're a good source for parts too ... If you go
electric, get The Engager breakaway battery kit: http://tinyurl.com/4nfa39
and a Tekonsha Prodigy controller: http://tinyurl.com/l4kz8r or the
DrawTite Intalla Stop, as a good controller makes all the difference
in function. These axles also don't squeak like leaf springs to.

But even if you skip the electric brakes the Torflex is a great axle
that rides awesome. Mine is some 14yrs old and the rubberbands are
still fine, but I'm sure my trailer would ride a little higher with a
freshie...

-Paul
Old June 9th 09, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce

Tony Condon wrote:
I'm considering replacing the axle/suspension for the trailer on the
Cherokee. Reskinning the trailer after windstorm damage has devolved into
rebuilding the trailer. I'm sure you all know how that goes.

I've been looking at the Rubber Torsional axles and I'm curious what the
opinion of the group is. Does anyone have these on their glider trailers
currently? how is the ride? What about the durability? They really
aren't maintainable like a leaf spring would be. Any other opinions?

http://www.dexteraxle.com/torflex_axles

http://www.trailerpart.com/torsionaxles.htm

-Tony Condon
Cherokee II N373Y

Hi Tony

Torsion axles will give decades of excellent service.

My only caution is that they do tend to fail imperceptably, and are
basically "no user servicable parts". Some day you will notice that the
trailer is lower than it should be, and the suspension is kinda hard...

Then it is time for a new axle - Mine lasted 38 years but is in that
distressing "kinda hard" condition now.

The infinitely expanding scope maintenance project is endemic to
soaring. Just remember to fly in between bouts of the sickness.

Cheers
Bruce
Old June 9th 09, 05:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Whelan[_3_]

Tony Condon wrote:

Snip...

I've been looking at the Rubber Torsional axles and I'm curious what the
opinion of the group is. Does anyone have these on their glider trailers
currently?

Yes...1500 pounder for about 4 years now; it was a bolt-on replacement
(done w/o outside help).
- - - - - -

how is the ride?

Um...I have no idea; I've never ridden in my trailer. That said, I opted
for the 1500 pound vs. the 2000 pound one for presumed 'less jouncy'
reasons.
- - - - - -

What about the durability? They really
aren't maintainable like a leaf spring would be.

I was told (by the local Dexter distributor): 1) the only known failures
they've seen in service have come from overload conditions (which tend
to shear the rubber bits inside the axle beam)...YMMV, of course. 2)
Dexter's original test sample on the concept remains functional years
later. My torsion/metal springs failed after 25+ years. Metal definitely
fatigues...
- - - - - -

Any other opinions?
I shall resist...I shall resist...I shall RESIST temptation!!!

Regards,
Bob W.
Old June 9th 09, 06:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Tony et al:
Al-Ko Kober (maker of the axles on Cobra trailers) sells custom
axles in the USA. Both electric and hydraulic brake systems are
available. The one I ordered from Axle, Inc a while ago was an easy
fit. Here's a link to their form, to measure the custom axle.
http://axleinc.com/_wsn/page10.html
You could also check with Williams Soaring to see if a European axle
(they stock them) would fit your trailer, which uses mechanical brake
actuation. You could send them the completed form.
Bewa The parts room at Williams can be addictive!
Williams: 1-530-473-5600
Jim
Old June 11th 09, 07:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Berry[_2_]

In article
,
JC wrote:

On Jun 9, 11:00*am, Tony Condon
wrote:
[...]

Torsion axles allow the wheels to respond to bumps independently.
Apparently this makes them a bit less susceptible to setting up trailer
sway than leaf spring axles. Or, so I've been told.
Old June 11th 09, 09:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Jun 9, 8:00*am, Tony Condon
wrote:
I'm considering replacing the axle/suspension for the trailer on the
Cherokee. *Reskinning the trailer after windstorm damage has devolved into
rebuilding the trailer. *I'm sure you all know how that goes.

I've been looking at the Rubber Torsional axles and I'm curious what the
opinion of the group is. *Does anyone have these on their glider trailers
currently? *how is the ride? *What about the durability? *They really
aren't maintainable like a leaf spring would be. *Any other opinions?

http://www.dexteraxle.com/torflex_axles

http://www.trailerpart.com/torsionaxles.htm

-Tony Condon
Cherokee II N373Y

There's a Redneck near you.

http://www.redneck-trailer.com/locations/2.htm

Frank Whiteley
Old June 11th 09, 09:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony Condon[_2_]

Frank-

Oh I know. I plan to go there soon, credit card in hand. I'm sure I'll
find all sorts of goodies that I can't live without.

Old June 12th 09, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
doug

On Jun 11, 10:45*pm, Tony Condon
wrote:
Frank-

Torsion axles are great. There were a few comments about getting one
that is not rated for a much heavier load than the actual load and I
agree with this. Roll your trailer with glider over the scales to see
what it really weighs first. I did a quick search, but couldn't find
the adjustable ones I found a couple years ago. The trailing arm was
splined onto the shaft, so you could set the angle to suit the
installation. There are some adjustable ones shown on
trailerpart.com, but they don't appear to be the same. They are very
similar though, with each axle a separate piece. Useful for some
installations, but not as simple, since you have to align it properly.

All that said, when I built my trailer, I made an airbag suspension
with over 14" of travel. It can be lowered for highway running and
raised to go out in the fields. My friends tease me because the
trailer squats to load and unload the glider, but it has the smoothest
ride of anything I have ever ridden in. Yes I did try riding in it!
(I got lucky picking the shocks).

Have fun,
Doug

Oh I know. I plan to go there soon, credit card in hand. *I'm sure I'll
find all sorts of goodies that I can't live without.

There's a Redneck near you.

http://www.redneck-trailer.com/locations/2.htm

Frank Whiteley

-Tony Condon
Cherokee II N373Y

Trailer tires for old (1981) Komet Trailer [email protected] Soaring 3 May 13th 09 10:24 PM
Trailer for HP-11 [email protected] Soaring 0 August 12th 06 12:58 AM
WTB Trailer for Ka8 Pete H Soaring 0 August 7th 05 01:17 PM
WTB: 15m trailer, CA (USA) John H. Campbell Soaring 0 March 11th 04 03:47 AM
FS: 2-33, 1-34, trailer F.L. Whiteley Soaring 0 February 16th 04 05:59 PM