Promote your glider operation

Old November 26th 09, 04:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default Promote your glider operation

However, realistically, no piece of hard plastic is going to sell
soaring as effectively as a warm, friendly person talking about their
enthusiasm for the sport. *We still have to talk to people when they
visit our operations.

Bill D

Bingo, the other factor in Cleveland Soaring Society's success in
2009.

Frank W
Old November 26th 09, 09:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom[_9_]

Perhaps we only need a gliderport business card with the web link on
it so a ride customer could look at it when they go home.

Tom

Old November 26th 09, 10:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

There is something wrong when we are organizing task groups to look at
digital media, but we don't think it's worth our time and/or resources to
have a significant presence at the largest aviation event in the world -
Oshkosh.

If we really want maximum exposure for our sport, we should make the SSA
convention part of the annual Oshkosh event. Not only would we have all of
the displays there for non-glider pilots to see, but we would also be able
to network with all of the key people in the FAA, AOPA, etc. who are going
to be there anyway.

Mike Schumann

"Frank Whiteley" wrote in message
On Nov 24, 10:33 am, MickiMinner wrote:
I think all of the above posters have the right idea...the concept is
to "grow" the sport,
but nobody has any grasp of what the numbers are of active glider
pilots,
instructor pilots, new rides, FAST offers, Calls to local glider
ports,
rate of activity.

I do believe that statistics, numbers need to be compiled.
We can't figure out if we need pull marketing, viral marketing,
publicity campaigns, and any other types of publicity until we know
what we are pushing for!
One Example of what we need to know:
Do we want to approach pilots with power tickets? Do we have better
success with youth? or better success at converting the power pilot,
or do we have a better success rate with the person that calls for a
"joy ride".

Omri has a a great idea that an individual giving the ride should have
the passion and personality to address the needs of the person
enquiring and taking a test ride.

the bottom line for me, is that we need to compile some data. Regular
surveys of the clubs, or reporting of how many calls/rides/instruction
requests/new members. Can't market what you don't know.
just my 2cents
Micki

Pulling hen's teeth while herding cats;^)

Actually, part of the digital revolution is that we are at the cusp of
such data retrieval. Most operations are likely using some sort of
accounting software from which reports may be derived. How, I've also
heard from COBM that commercial operators will be unlikely to share
such data. Among chapters, many are non-profit entities and must
provide information upon request (though may charge reasonable re-
production costs). However, past performance is not prediction of the
future. Both commercial operations and clubs can change in appeal and
performance, usually to a knee-jerk reaction to some event or a change
in internal politics, so I'm not sure a study will help market, though
it may help define what works.

Part of the problem has been the difficulty to keeping current contact
information for chapter leadership. The clubs & chapters committee
compiled that information and surveyed for about 110 chapters under
Dave Newill. However, club and chapter leadership changes every year
or two. The committee also used the WTF contact info to try and have
chapters complete some online information updates. We eventually got
about forty inputs out of 140 clubs and chapters, yet it remained time
intensive. This year the SSA office included a request for chapter
leadership functions in the chapter renewal process. Response has
been very good, thank you very much. Doug Easton has recently
provided the committee with a leadership view which will help us
communicate better with chapters.

Statistics and data collection is part of that digital media
experience that I've included within my draft proposal for formation
of an SSA Digital Media Working Group. This group will hopefully
examine, propose, and implement actions to leverage audio, video,
imagery, web techniques, social networking, webinars, mentoring, and
story boarding to place some strategic on-target, on-message links to
our sport and organizations. Internal data collection and
introspection is part of the mix. Annually I submit an input to the
world gliding report, but it's very limited due to the lack of
resources available.

As John Seaborn mentions, this will take some aggressive and committed
volunteers. I agree. We have significant individual talent and
effort out there. If we could get those individual to put ten or
twenty percent of that effort into a focused package of strategies
with a national, regional, and local emphasis, we'd move forward
rapidly. Without that framework, I think hiring national marketing
expertise would not give us the results hoped for. We need the
resources first. Yesterday, while sorting through some Soaring
magazines with a soaring friend, he mentioned that the SSA staffed a
marketing expert in the late 1970's. Before my time as an SSA member
(1980), so perhaps someone else can give us a history lesson on Sunny
Vesgo, "The Sunny Side" column, and the eventual outcomes. I'm told
there was much dis-satisfaction at the end of the day.

As far as what may work, see my committee post on the SSA web site
today on Leveraging the SSA FAST and SSA Introductory Membership for
chapter growth.

Frank Whiteley

Old November 27th 09, 02:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

There is someone in Wisconsin (near Oshkosh) who showed interest in
organizing a soaring presence, suggesting the Learn to Fly Pavilion
with CAP, USAFA, etc.. His name was given to the SSA (AOPA) board
member and to the chair of the Growth and Development Committee. I
believe there is interest, but involvement will probably continue come
from voluntary efforts, like many other initiatives and programs
within the SSA. Many are done by groups, a few as individuals. I've
previously suggested Sun 'n Fun. Not as large, much cheaper for large
display areas which sailplanes need, but still a good sized event.
Soaring was represented at the AOPA summit in FL earlier this month.
No idea if a local interests were served, but the SSA Governor for
Florida was there with a DG-1000 on display. I know Philadelphia
Glider Council made good use of a local AOPA meeting a few years
ago.

As for me, I've never been to Oshkosh nor Sun 'n Fun. However, I was
the vendor relations person for three good-sized EAA Regional Fly-ins
and helped with two others, and had a soaring presence at each.
During those five years, I'm aware of one father and son pair that
joined a local club, dropping out within the first year. Done mall
displays and other presentations, too. There's a place for mall
action. Don Ingraham has pretty much figured that out and it takes a
bit more than a display, you need to be offering something else, rides
as gifting options. I've seen his concept video. The finished one
should attract attention on a good sized projection screen. Local
efforts generate local results. National efforts are a bit harder to
measure. Even 800soaring.com says interest is waning on the glider
ride action, but I think that's because fewer operations, both clubs
and commercial, are willing to redeem these rides. So he sells
balloon rides.

Soaring was represented at Oshkosh for several years, mainly through
voluntary efforts and donations, sometimes with SSA backing. Can
someone point us to a bump in growth of the sport as a result? If so,
that would help close the loop on the effectiveness of being there.
Should soaring be there? Yes. However, if we could be half a dozen
other places for the same expense, which way should we go? Tough
choices all around. After all, it really comes down to money, and
there are competing proposals and a rather limited budget. Only one
of the digital media factors involves an expense, the online webinar
service. Up to now, SSA has not expended anything. I have a service
that I've offered to particular soaring seminars and presentations.
So far the only taker has been the one we tested last spring here in
Colorado. They are available on a subscription basis at a fraction of
the cost of the Oshkosh soaring booth. Perhaps soon we will do both
and much, much more.

Frank Whiteley

Old November 28th 09, 01:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vsoars

As my earlier posted stated, as Chairperson of the SSA Publicity
Committee, I have the project under way now. I am preparing two of
the "hockey rink" shaped CDs. One Cd is a SSA Media Kit and the other
is The Soaring Publicity Handbook. (One for members to give the media
and one to assist members.) There is no replacement for a smiling
person .But we need to put the materials, including photos that can
instantly be used, in the hands of the media. There is currently no
way to do all we need to do from the web site as it is set up. The CDs
will be available at the convention and after that, at the SSA office.

How about some of you volunteering to make contributions to this
project? It would be even more fun than chatting on this group site
and will actually accomplish something worth doing.

On Nov 26, 9:36*am, bildan wrote:
On Nov 26, 6:50*am, Tom wrote:

Great idea. Could this be placed on one inexpensive disc we could give
to people who take a glider ride?

Tom

I think a giveaway CD or DVD has great potential for promoting
soaring.
The SSA promotion committee has been thinking of something like this.
I don't think it would take much 'demand' to get it done.

How about one of those business card sized, "hockey rink" shaped CD's
that can be carried in a wallet? *There's about 50MB of space on
them. *In volume they cost around $.50. *The digital media content
could be universal with local contact information printed on the disk
label.

Old November 28th 09, 01:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vsoars

On Nov 26, 9:36*am, bildan wrote:

On Nov 26, 6:50*am, Tom wrote:

[...]

Bill D- Hide quoted text -

My comments are NOT directed to Bill , who writes a great blog on
AOPA's "Lets Go Flying." I highly recommend his blog to anyone who
flies power.
Old November 28th 09, 03:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Nov 26, 9:36*am, bildan wrote:

On Nov 26, 6:50*am, Tom wrote:

[...]

If there is no way to put this stuff on the web site the SSA has more
problems than publicity. I'd really hope that is not the case.

Many journalists use Macintosh, especially amongst the magazine/
newspaper industry (where I've worked on software/technology), and
that has spilled over to many folks in the professional blogosphere.
Your funky CDs won't work in their slot loading CD-ROM drives, are
likely to get stuck/not eject or worse. Even in non-slot loading
drives you'll have maybe more more problems with the mini-CD's that
full size ones. Many journalists on the road now are likely to be
carrying ultra potable laptops and may not have immediate/easy access
to a CD-ROM drive.

Once a CD-ROM ships, you've got to keep it up to date, manage
revisions (how do you track who has got the out of date versions?),
allow timely revisions etc. Worse you have not encouraged the media to
go to a consistent location on the SSA Web, so if something timely,
either a good PR opportunity for soaring, or worse case an accident or
some public black-eye then the SSA does not have that Web portal to
reach the media through. But media portals are not one-way and the
simple ability to track the access patterns with Google Analytics or
other tools can be useful. Or go the next step and ask jounalists to
register to access their portal. This can be very simple to
implement.

I agree that journalists/editors likes access to high-quality media
(with clear ownership/rights attributions) and in the right high-
resolution formats (e.g. photos in TIFF or well done high resolution
jpg, with color space tagged, and preferably some decent gamut like
AdobeRGB, not sRGB, even better tag the image metadata with the
copyright/usage information, that will make art editors happy.). But
journalists also like the absolutely most up to date information and
contacts to people who can provide specialist answers/attributable
quotes etc. Things like explanations of technical terms/correct usage
guides if done properly are usually appreciated (how many times have
we seen the pilot of a glider called the glider, or seen hang-gliders
and sailplanes confused?). Long introductions for executives, a bunch
of info about organizations etc. are often ignored and a turn-off -
the media usually have very little time to wade though stuff and want
quick answers and especially things that will help them produce the
most correct/well informed articles. Bullet list of facts and common
Q&A work well. A few pages at most. All this stuff is all much better
served via the Web.

Darryl

Old November 28th 09, 04:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bildan

On Nov 26, 9:36*am, bildan wrote:

On Nov 26, 6:50*am, Tom wrote:

[...]

Darryl, the CD content doesn't have to be up to date. All you have to
put on the CD label, "Contact us and we'll do the leg work to get you
the latest stuff in whatever format you like." The rest of the
content is just to generate interest and it doesn't change much.

FWIW, I too think a press kit should be on the web page - feel free to
volunteer.

I don't agree that the little CD's are a big headache. They've been
around a long time and they're going stronger than ever. Most people
have access to a 'drop-in' CD drive. Most media types I know can't
afford one of those fancy "Air Macs" anyway.

Val, it didn't occur to me to take offense. Thanks for the plug.

Bill D
Old November 30th 09, 05:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
HoUdino

Ten out of 350 sounds like a good conversion rate.

While 1 in 35 sounds may sound weak, it is not completely out of line,
it can depend on the "filter" that is put IN FRONT of "the ride" (as
well as AFTER). By "filter" I mean how/where did you recruit this
group for rides...general public, airshow, or Boy Scouts? Each group
has a different natural maximum conversion rate. From your message it
sounds like they came from the general public, so from my experience
your conversion rate is as expected...and 10 new members all at once
would have choked my small club's training program (aka "The problem
I'd like to have")!

IMHO (experts may differ...) we need to accept the low conversion rate
as a "given" in our marketing plans...thus the need for a relatively
high number of "trials" in order to achieve success in "new
membership". You either accept it or work various schemes, pre/during/
post "ride". OCSA's technique has been to go fishing where the fish
are as we were not set up to handle a large number of rides...thus we
use "booths at airshows" to create an email list of potential members,
we do a low-cost ground school as a secondary filter...the result is a
high conversion rate with a fairly low trial rate. In OCSA's case we
were precluded from doing "rides" at our airfield by the FBO...rather
than gripe about it, we worked around it...also we derived no revenue
from the FBO's toplane ops.

The use of a "pre-ride filter" may be of benefit if the goal is new
pilots rather than ride revenue...the club's marketing plan is built
around its goals, opportunities and capacities. We are all the same
and different...examine your process waterfall "as is" and "could be".
Close the gap.

Happy Holidays,

LT