Aerotow - Newsletter

Old September 5th 09, 01:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom[_9_]

Default Aerotow - Newsletter

aerotow safety and procedures. There are variations on the theme
around the soaring community, and a discussion may help prevent
accidents.

Glider pilots, CFIs and tow pilots are invited to subscribe and
perhaps send comments. The newsletter is free, and you can always opt
to unsubscribe at any time.

To subscribe:
Go to www.eglider.org and click on the newsletter link on the right
side of the home page.

The first aero tow newsletter is about the high tow position, and is
included below. I will not respond to comments in this newsgroup.

* * * * *
Aero Tow High Tow
Takeoff

When flying with visiting glider pilots, it is common for some to
mention how low we teach and fly when in the high tow position.
Apparently, some instructors and pilots are using a tow position
considerably higher than they should.

The obvious hazard of using a higher than normal high tow position, is
the risk of raising the tail of the towplane, perhaps exceeding the
limits of the towplane elevator authority. This is especially a hazard
when close to the ground.

Normally, the glider reaches flying speed before the tow plane. The
glider pilot must keep the glider close to the ground while the
towplane is accelerating to its takeoff speed. How close? Generally
no higher than a few feet. Some instructors and text books suggest no
higher than a person's height.

A glider pilot should be able to keep the glider within 3 or 4 feet of
the ground while the towplane is accelerating. Being extremely close
to the ground is not necessary, and may risk contact with the runway
surface, causing the glider to bounce, beginning a series of PIOs.

Tom Knauff
Old September 5th 09, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Boggs

Here's a question to all:

Should we train tow pilots to pull the release when gliders get too
high and actually have them practice it regularly? If the tug driver
has never actually let go of a glider on tow, he will probably not do
it in time when he actually needs to.
Old September 5th 09, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Boggs

Should we teach glider pilots to release the tow line in extreme slack
line situations instead of attempting a recovery?

These are just questions for discussion.
Old September 5th 09, 05:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bildan

On Sep 5, 9:29*am, GARY BOGGS wrote:
Here's a question to all:

Should we train tow pilots to pull the release when gliders get too
high and actually have them practice it regularly? *If the tug driver
has never actually let go of a glider on tow, he will probably not do
it in time when he actually needs to.

Yes. Once the elevator reaches the up-stop with the rope attached,
the pilot has lost control of the tug. The tug release must be pulled
while the pilot is still in control. Tug pilots aren't paid nearly
enough to put their lives at risk by delaying release.

Any glider pilot who has put the tug pilot in this position should
"buy the rope" and deal with the consequences.

As for "practicing it regularly", that would depend on a lot of things
like where the glider would land, where the rope would fall and
whether you can find it again.

nice aerotow [email protected] Soaring 3 March 25th 09 04:37 PM
Microlight aerotow....can it be done? Microlight Pilot Soaring 6 March 7th 07 11:22 PM
Teaching the aerotow Paul Moggach Soaring 5 September 12th 05 03:31 AM
Who said aerotow was expensive? Nick Olson Soaring 1 March 18th 05 05:23 PM
using winch instead of aerotow goneill Soaring 5 August 27th 03 02:46 PM