flying on US license in Europe?

Old November 14th 09, 01:32 PM
tienshanman tienshanman is offline
Member

Default flying on US license in Europe?

I would like to spent a few weeks flying somewhere in Europe this summer. Alps or S. France probably. Can anyone tell me whether I can fly solo in France, Germany, Austria, Italy on my US license? I would also be interested in hearing about a generally good place to fly and rent gliders in that region.
Old November 14th 09, 05:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glider[_2_]

--
tienshanman

Contact Burt Compton in Marfa. He will know the latest.
Yes, you can but you will need to get a license in Europe. And you
will need a current US Medical.
Southern France is great.
GA
Old November 14th 09, 05:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Smith

Glider pilot licenses are not unified among Europena countries, which
means that each country handles this differently. Contact the FOCA of
the country in which you plan to fly and ask. You will need a medical,
except in Switzerland.

One of the best soaring places are the southern Alps of France, but only
if you are experienced in mountain flying. (Otherwise most clubs will
gladly instruct you.) There are many glider places in the French Alps
(Gap, Sisteron, Vinon, Barcelonette, St. Auban ...) Be sure to contact
tmen early enough and ask how they handle glider renting. Be aware that
most operations are clubs (except St. Auban).
Old November 15th 09, 02:13 PM
tienshanman tienshanman is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glider[_2_] View Post
wrote:
I would like to spent a few weeks flying somewhere in Europe this
summer. Alps or S. France probably. Can anyone tell me whether I can
fly solo in France, Germany, Austria, Italy on my US license? I would
also be interested in hearing about a generally good place to fly and
rent gliders in that region.

--
tienshanman

Contact Burt Compton in Marfa. He will know the latest.
Yes, you can but you will need to get a license in Europe. And you
will need a current US Medical.
Southern France is great.
GA
I have sent Burt 2 emails; he has yet to reply.
Old November 15th 09, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Guy[_7_]

France is easy. It does take a little preparation on your part to
make it painless. France is very glider pilot friendly.

You need to obtain a French Licence Equivalance before you go and that
will take about three months. It is all done by mail.
You will requi
1) A copy of your pilot licence.
2) A copy of your medical certificate that will be less than one year
old during your flying time in France.
3) Two identity photographs, passport size.
4) A copy of your passport identity pages that shows your date of
birth.
5) A short letter stating your request for a Licence Equivalence and
specifying the date of your stay and where you plan to fly (just list
several places).
6) Mail this all to:
DISTRICT AERONAUTIQUE DE PROVENCE
Service des LIcences
Aeroport No. 1
13727 MARIGNANE

I believe they are now charging a small fee for this process.
Fortunately english is the international language of aviation so
people in the District Aeronautique office do speak english. You can
call them at: (33) 442.31.14.81

John Smith's statement about mountain flying in the Alps is correct
(IMHO). However, St. Auban is a quasi-government commercial glider
operation that has an excellent instruction program that will get you
oriented very quickly and off flying solo in very good modern
gliders. http://www.cnvv.net/

I have flown at St. Auban four times and have flown in: LS-8, Discus
2, ASW-27, Nimbus, DG-1000, DG-300, Fox, Janus, Duo DIscus, LS-4. All
the planes are maintained like new. The airport is located at the
base of the alps so you can fly in to the mountains, stay in the
foothills, or fly the flats. It is very similar to flying out of
Minden or Williams. The staff at St. Auban is wonderful, they speak
english, they have dormitory rooms to rent, a cafeteria, a swimming
pool, recreational rooms, computer access and very good places to eat
in the surrounding communities.

Guy Acheson
Old November 16th 09, 04:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa

On Nov 15, 8:13*am, tienshanman tienshanman.
wrote:
'glider[_2_ Wrote:

;711965']On Nov 14, 8:32*am, tienshanman tienshanman.
wrote:-
I would like to spent a few weeks flying somewhere in Europe this
summer. Alps or S. France probably. Can anyone tell me whether I can
fly solo in France, Germany, Austria, Italy on my US license? I would
also be interested in hearing about a generally good place to fly and
rent gliders in that region.

--
tienshanman-

Contact Burt Compton *in Marfa. He will know the latest.
Yes, you can but you will need to get a license in Europe. And you
will need a current US Medical.
Southern France is great.
GA

I have sent Burt 2 emails; he has yet to reply.

Hey, I sent a private email reply to a guy named Karl asking the same
question, so maybe that's not you. Sorry if your emails are not
reaching me. I've been traveling alot lately and tomorrow I'm off to
Florida for a week. Back to Marfa, Texas on NOV 23 for our thermal-up-
to-the-wave season.

I prefer to give advice off this group. All I know about is about
Germany / Wasserkuppe / Bavarian Alps south of Munich. To summarize,
you can fly gliders solo (but not motorgliders) in Germany but it is a
"courtesy" for ICAO certificated pilots (the US is a "member state"),
and this courtesy may be revoked any time. The final decision is
always with the individual clubs. Very few commercial operators. So
go fly dual in a nice Duo Discus or DG-1000 and have fun. They will
let you fly yet they will talk on the radio, keep you out of the
strange (at first) airspace, navigate (most villages look the same)
and take you much farther than you would might soar solo , and closer
to mountain tops than you might dare solo. Learn --- they have
interesting concepts about soaring and especially reading both the
terrain and sky.

After all, they "invented it".

Burt
Old November 16th 09, 03:38 PM
tienshanman tienshanman is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy[_7_] View Post
[...]

Guy, excellent info! Thanks.

Flying in Europe Chris Piloting 0 April 12th 07 07:36 PM
Flying in the USA vs. Europe Jay Honeck Piloting 78 April 3rd 07 06:48 PM
Should the USA have a soaring license, not a glider license? Mark James Boyd Soaring 0 August 6th 04 07:16 PM
Flying to Europe Bob Webster Instrument Flight Rules 19 April 26th 04 04:08 PM
Flying to Europe Bob Webster Piloting 19 April 26th 04 04:08 PM