Gifts from a soaring friend.

Old February 16th 10, 02:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default Gifts from a soaring friend.

The gift of knowledge. His father's work meant he learned fluent
French while young and absorbing the world around him. His older
siblings educational accomplishments inspired him to excel as he
achieved his Bachelor's at Georgetown and PHD at Michigan, leading to
a post-doc at Princeton. He chose the academic path of imparting
knowledge, rather than continuing in research. Thus he shared this
knowledge of physics, mathematics and astronomy to eager students for
over a generation. February 4th marked his last class room
appearance. This gift was shared far beyond the class room, as both
friends and family will attest.

The gift of flight. As a high school student in paradise, he joined
the Civil Air Patrol and learned to fly gliders and powered aircraft.
Simple flight was not enough, he chose to soar. And soar he did for
nearly forty years from several clubs, in contests, at CAP academies,
and professionally. His many log books show a devotion to sharing
this gift of flight to those seekers, as it had been shared with him.
His hand was there in developing those programs, the selection
methods, and fund raising that would open doors for youth; the Cadet
Youth Flight Scholarship, the Bultman Flight Scholarship, the Kolstad
Youth College Scholarship, and the US Junior Team. He chaired the SSA
Youth Committee for many years, only recently passing the torch. His
last gave a flight lesson in early December, but continued ground
instruction into January.

The gift of love. He loved the SSA and, stormed delayed, arrived
during the final hours of the last day of the recent convention. A
kind Arkansas lady drove him from the airport to the convention, where
he came to the youth booth and visited with some of the former junior
team members and others in passing. He attended the awards banquet
and stood to be recognized as a former SSA regional director. Apart
from his obvious love of soaring, he had another love of his life.
Who knows why couples part, but he found no one else. He was
astonished when Janet appeared in these final days, nearly twenty
years after they'd last seen each other. She was a great comfort with
kind words, gentle touches, affection and attention. He wanted her to
have a simple cup from a shelf in his apartment, the 'heart' cup she
gave him on their first date nearly thirty years ago bore the simple
phrase, "Kiss me, I'm ready." Those same words uttered when she
arrived. Brother Andrew and sister Joan, students, and close friends
visited and called during those final days and hours. When he could
no longer respond, he still listened when able to those many
appreciations of his involvement in so many lives.

The gift of sight. Despite a body racked with disease, he remained a
donor, and his corneas will restore the gift of sight, perhaps to
someone who may someday regale in the wondrous beauty of soaring
flight.

Farewell this day Dr. John Holmes Campbell; brother, scholar, mentor,
master, and friend. May your spirit soar and serve to inspire us all.
Old February 16th 10, 02:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

On Feb 16, 9:00*am, Frank Whiteley wrote:

Farewell this day Dr. John Holmes Campbell; brother, scholar, mentor,
master, and friend. *May your spirit soar and serve to inspire us all.

I had posted the following to a local newsgroup for some NJ Soaring
friends who knew John. Frank is certainly more eloquent than I, but
here goes:

John is the guy who sat in the back seat of the 2-33 teaching
buttheads like me
to fly instead of rigging his beautiful Phoebus C. He somehow got me
past solo, and immediately started focusing me on breaking the apron
strings. He was the guy who stuck me
in the CSA 1-36 at Forrestal airport, pointed me in the general
direction of
Blairstown, and said "I don't care if you make it, but don't you dare
land back
here". He convinced me to take 5 days of my summer vacation to crew
for him at
the Sports Class Nationals in Elimira in 1987. Yeah, we sat in the
rain most of the time,
and I camped in the back of my VW Rabbit in 90 degree heat and 100%
humidity, but it was heaven. Having infected me with the racing bug,
he dragged
me to Dannsville in 1988 with that 1-36 in tow behind my diesel Rabbit
(more on that another day).
That trip turned into an epic comedy of errors, culminating in me
sleeping on the granite floor of his
post-doc's office at RIT when we found out that every motel with 30
miles of
Dannsville was booked. He dragged me out of every field within 50
miles of
Dannsville when I landed out day after day. He also was the guy who re-
kindled
my interest in "real" engineering, pulling me away from the computer
and
teaching me about aircraft structures and airfoils.

We went our separate ways after I graduated, and he got a teaching
position in
Colorado. Yeah, he wasn't always the easiest guy to get close to, but
he
instilled in me the love of this sport which has lead to many of my
strongest
friendships and the most unbelievable experiences.

I'll miss you John.
Old February 16th 10, 03:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rob Cluxton

Was this the John Campbell who helped with the Collegiate Soaring
Association as well?

--
Rob
Old February 16th 10, 03:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Feb 16, 9:16*am, Rob Cluxton wrote:
Was this the John Campbell who helped with the Collegiate Soaring
Association as well?

--
Rob

Yes.

I probably only saw John a handful of times, mainly at the
Conventions. Every single time we conversed though he was pushing me
to start a soaring club at Iowa State. Once I found out he did make
it to the convention this year and heard that it would be his last I
knew I had to say hi, and once again the first thing he asked me about
was when I was going to get the soaring club going at Iowa State.
Brought a smile and nearly a tear. Soaring is going to miss John
Campbell.
Old February 16th 10, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Well said Frank.

I count myself lucky to have learned from, flown with, and hung-out
with one of the most important teachers and characters our sport has
known in the last 30 years. John was unique and brilliant. You could
ask him any question about almost any subject and he'd have some
interesting knowledge to share. There was no question I ever asked
him about soaring that he couldn't answer.

Thanks John. See you upstairs.

Matt Michael
Old February 17th 10, 03:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Whelan[_3_]

Frank Whiteley wrote:
[...]

Beautifully said, Frank. It was both a pleasure and an honor to have
known John since he arrived in Colorado ca. 1985. Soaring and mankind
have lost a good *person*, too. May we meet again some time, John...

Bob W.
Old February 17th 10, 04:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Leibacher

Beautiful put! Thank you for sharing this. I first met John when he
showed up out of the dark to retrieve crewless me at SAF during a
regionals out of Moriarty in the early 90s, and I have remained in his
debt ever since as he shepherded generations of juniors, and gently
encouraged me in their recognition to the very end. The sport and
community have lost a gentle giant.

John Leibacher

Old February 17th 10, 04:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
dave

On Feb 16, 7:00*am, Frank Whiteley wrote:
[...]

Well said Frank. John was my instructor while I completed my
commerical rating and we visited on soaring and other subjects nearly
every week for the last 10 years. He'll be missed by many.

A photo of John from February of 2008. in the backseat as usual:
http://www.pbase.com/plane_pictures/...4/original.jpg

dave r.
Old February 17th 10, 05:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default Gifts from a soaring friend. UPDATE

At John Campbell's request there will be no funeral. A memorial
gathering in Boulder is being planned for a later, warmer date.
John's cremains will be interred with family in Washington, DC.

There will be an online link for personal memorials to family and
friends available Friday.

Remembrances of John may be made through charitable donations to any
of youth soaring scholarships he promoted and supported. Please memo
in memory of Dr. John Campbell please.

Through the Soaring Society of America

Cadet Youth Flight Scholarship
Bultman Youth Flight Scholarship
Kolstad Youth College Scholarship
US Junior Team

Make the donation payable to the SSA specifying the applicable fund
and send care of:
Soaring Society of America
PO Box 2100
Hobbs, NM 88241-2100
More info: http://www.coloradosoaring.org/ssa/ssay/ycom.htm

or

Mile High Youth Gliding Association
5534 Independence Rd.
Boulder, CO 80301
http://www.milehighgliding.com/colorado/mhyga.htm

or

Collegiate Soaring Association
POB 337081
Greeley, CO 80633

Any questions, please e-mail or call 970-330-2050
Old February 17th 10, 05:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

More info: http://www.coloradosoaring.org/ssa/coll/home.htm