glassholes

Old February 4th 05, 09:50 PM
pw5isthebest

Default glassholes

In a few different threads now I have read disparaging remarks towards
those people who choose to fly gliders with less than a 40:1 glide
ratio.

There are a few glassholes on this group who put down anyone who
can't afford or doesn't want to fly an LS-4. ASW-27, Ventus etc...

Mention a Russia, Apis or PW-5 and the insults start immediently.
I can't believe all the negative posts I've read in the last couple
of weeks about the Diana. It looks great!

I got news for you guys. You had better start embracing people
who fly less than your perfect example of a sailplane if you want
someone to buy your used ship in the future.

I had a high performance (open class) ship years ago and sold it.
Now I chose to go with a medium performance glider because I
enjoy the challenge. I set my own course, and at the end of the
day I can still smile as broadly.

I like Dennis Wrights idea of reaching out to the ultralight community.
They share many concerns, regulations and restrictions that we as
sailplane pilots do. Not just now, but in the future when things will
get
tighter for us, because of terrorist activity, or rise in fuel prices
or a
drop off in new members.

Technology in materials will undoubtedly create new light weight
gliders that will blur the lines between ultralights and sailplanes.
Young pilots just coming into the sport might just be able to afford
some of these "lower performance" machines.

If someday they want to move on to high performance racers, well
great. If not, at least they can have fun in what they've got. I guess
you guys don't understand, not everyone is interested in flying
contests.

Why do you rich snobs feel the need to put those of us down who are
perfectly happy flying our medium performance ships?

Old February 4th 05, 10:55 PM

Either the people who make the disparaging remarks never show up at the
airport or they take on a different personality when flying but so far
the soaring folks I have met have been nothing but polite and friendly.
E-mail and/or other electronic media has its dark side and lacks the
personal touch. You can't really tell if someone is joking or serious.
Don't take these post too serious!

Old February 4th 05, 11:00 PM
chipsoars

The only thing that really matters is having the ability to Soar,
whether it is in a 1-26, PW-5 or an ASW 27B. Anything in the air beats
walking on the ground and wishing you were flying.

Chip F. and 27B driver

Old February 4th 05, 11:19 PM

Whether it is PW-5, Russia, 2-33 or whatever...it flies. And that is
great.
By the way...my club might have a Russia for sale for 15K if someone
has an interest.

Old February 4th 05, 11:20 PM
Jack

chipsoars wrote:
The only thing that really matters is having the ability to Soar,
whether it is in a 1-26, PW-5 or an ASW 27B. Anything in the air

beats
walking on the ground and wishing you were flying.

Chip F. and 27B driver

I just got a Pik-20B. The most helpful people in our club have been, in
order, a Russia pilot, an ASW27B pilot, a Discus 2 pilot, and a Ventus
2 pilot. I'm not sure where you're coming from with this one. We're
making plans to raid TSA together when Region 10 rolls around...

Jack Womack

Old February 5th 05, 01:35 AM

I rate your troll a 3/10.

The the guy who pays $15K for a Libelle or Jantar or whatever is an
"elitist snob" or "rich glasshole" or whatever, while the guy who pays
$25K for a PW-5 with half the performance is... what?

I'd say he's a chump personally.

Old February 5th 05, 02:38 AM
Jack

I thought it was more of a rant than a troll... I just bought a Pik-20
and won't mention the price because it was VERY good. I did so against
the advise of some WELL-MEANING friends that happen to be in excellent
financial condition. I thanked them for their concern and advise, and
made my own decision. When they kid me about it, I'm just going to out
fly them and make up the difference with my sports-class handicap. Why
insult a bunch of people? I fly R/C sailplanes, too. I regularly beat
guys flying $2000- models with my $300- Houston Hawk... without a
handicap... other than being fat and blind... Vent your rath at the
person who ****ed in your oatmeal, rather than insult all the people
that have a better circumstance than you. I have to admit, though, that
I got a good laugh at the new classic soaring term "glasshole."

Sorry, I couldn't resist...

Jack Womack

Old February 6th 05, 05:42 AM

pw5isthebest wrote:
[...]

It always amazes me, but doesn't surprise me, that those who believe
that others are assholes don't realize that they, themselves, are
behaving as assholes.