glassholes

Old February 7th 05, 07:20 AM
nowhere

"$15K for a Libelle or Jantar or whatever is an
"elitist snob" or "rich glasshole" or whatever, while the guy who pays
$25K for a PW-5 with half the performance"

Jesus Murphy! I'd better tell my friend with the Libele that his ship
has a 62:1 L/D!(twice that of a PW5) He'll be ecstatic! We've been
SERIOUSLY underestimating our gliders performance.
Old February 7th 05, 04:01 PM
PW5 Flyer

It was a definitely a rant, borne out of frustration at hearing
too many negative comments about my choice of sailplane.

But since I know this is not restricted to just where I fly, but
a fairly common occurrence around the country based on
talking to other pilots who share my choice of ship, I chose
to vent here, in a larger forum.

I spend a lot of time around airports and I don't see this kind of
attitude displayed among power pilots. Recently an acquaintance
with 70 grand to spend chose to buy himself a new Taylorcraft.

When he showed up at the field with his new plane all I heard was
positive comments. People complimented him on his nice plane.
No one said, Gee for the same money you could have bought a used
Mooney, Beechcraft, Cessna etc... which can go farther, faster, higher
etc.

He bought exactly the plane he wanted for the type of flying he
wanted to do.

But that's not the case at the gliderport!

It's not the guys with the first generation glass (Libelle, Cirrus, or
Jantars)
that are dishing the insults. It's the guys with the newer competitive
ships
who feel they have to question my intelligence, manhood or ability
because I chose a ship that wasn't to their liking or approval.

If you don't like my ship, I don't care. I didn't buy it for you. I
won't ever
trouble you with the opportunity to fly it. Just keep your comments to
yourself.

Old February 7th 05, 05:41 PM
MC

Im interested PW5 Flyer, what was your criteria for buying your sailplane.
Was it size, weight, ease of assembly, one class design format?

thanks,

Mike
oups.com...

Old February 7th 05, 06:04 PM
PW5 Flyer

MC wrote:
Im interested PW5 Flyer, what was your criteria for buying your

sailplane.
Was it size, weight, ease of assembly, one class design format?

thanks,

A valid question, though I can't give you a list in
order of importance.

I do like the light wings and easy assembly, It goes together
easier than the Libelle I used to own. My old back can't handle
the heavy wings like I used to.

I like that it has a polyurethane finish instead of Gel coat,
which I hope will save me some money when it comes time to
refinish.

I like the way it looks, the cockpit fits me well.

I liked the price a lot when I bought it, it cost less than some
first Gen and even many later model ships.

But most importantly was when I had the opportunity to fly
one. It was the easiest, most responsive thermaling ship
I have ever flown. I really enjoyed the flight and have every
other one since.

Thanks for asking
PW5 Flyer

Old February 7th 05, 06:36 PM

PW5 Flyer wrote:
[...]

I share your opinion. I used to own 1964 Cessna 182. When I bought it
nobody was making any negative comments. The same was with my little
7ECA Citabria. And the same with my S2A Pitts. Now, when I went to fly
it in a contest and flew against S2B and Sukhois and Extras nobody was
making any negative comments even though I was flying the least
competive airplane. In general power pilots fly whatever they like and
can afford and that is the bottom line. And those guys flying the
latest and greatest in our little soaring world need to keep the
negative comments to themselves.

Old February 7th 05, 06:51 PM
For Example John Smith

"pw5isthebest" wrote in message
oups.com...
snip
There are a few glassholes on this group who put down anyone who

snip

Mamma always used to say "consider the source".
'Nuff said.

Brent

Old February 8th 05, 03:10 AM

With all the comments about how to increase soaring numbers, how about
being positive to anyone that flys any type of glider- they are
interested and excited about soaring. Would hate to visit a site and
have this kind of talking going on- would tend to turn me to something
else- power perhaps? A little bunny said,"if ya can't say something
nice, don't say nothin at all"- Forgive me Thumper.

Larry
MC wrote:
Very nice!

Mike