Looking for good references on maintaining Fiberglass/Gelcoat finish

Old October 18th 20, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Wrinkle

Default Looking for good references on maintaining Fiberglass/Gelcoat finish

I just purchased my first glider and I am struggling to locate via google any good articles, books, manuals, videos, etc... on what methods and practices are available to keep the finish of a gel coated glider up to snuff. There seem to be at least two basic schools of thought, one utilizing polish type products, the other buffing with hard wax.

I would have thought by now after 50+ years of fiberglass glider construction, there should be many good & helpful articles written on the subject.. I would appreciate a gentle nudge in the correct direction, or if you are so inclined, please feel free to leave your 2 cents on the subject. (Please, I hope this doesn't open up some sleeping can of worms).

Old October 18th 20, 05:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Sunday, October 18, 2020 at 12:43:41 PM UTC-4, David Wrinkle wrote:
I just purchased my first glider and I am struggling to locate via google any good articles, books, manuals, videos, etc... on what methods and practices are available to keep the finish of a gel coated glider up to snuff. There seem to be at least two basic schools of thought, one utilizing polish type products, the other buffing with hard wax.

I would have thought by now after 50+ years of fiberglass glider construction, there should be many good & helpful articles written on the subject. I would appreciate a gentle nudge in the correct direction, or if you are so inclined, please feel free to leave your 2 cents on the subject. (Please, I hope this doesn't open up some sleeping can of worms).

DG has Ursula Hanle's "Petite Plastic Plane Patch Primer" available to download at https://www.dg-flugzeugbau.de/en/downloads . More looking at repair, but you probably should keep a copy around just in case.

Dan
Old October 19th 20, 12:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

On Sunday, 18 October 2020 at 19:43:41 UTC+3, wrote:
I just purchased my first glider and I am struggling to locate via google any good articles, books, manuals, videos, etc... on what methods and practices are available to keep the finish of a gel coated glider up to snuff. There seem to be at least two basic schools of thought, one utilizing polish type products, the other buffing with hard wax.

I would have thought by now after 50+ years of fiberglass glider construction, there should be many good & helpful articles written on the subject. I would appreciate a gentle nudge in the correct direction, or if you are so inclined, please feel free to leave your 2 cents on the subject. (Please, I hope this doesn't open up some sleeping can of worms).

Gel coat surface must be sealed with wax, or preferably with modern polymer/ceramic sealant which sometimes is called "wax" also.

Polishing surface is whole different thing. If the gel coat is not glossy or have small scratches it is time to polish it. Most effective way is to use rotary/orbital (or what you call them) polishing machine, good quality cutting discs and abrasive products. What you need depends on the gel coat condition. Sometimes just quick polish with finishing disc is enough, sometimes you need to start with wet sanding. After that you can seal the polished surface.

Most cheap market waxes have at least a bit of cutting particles, so you basically polish the surface a bit when applying the wax. This can be a easy way to get bit more gloss from surface. Some products can be even applied with rotary machine, like polishing compound, increasing the effectiveness of cutting the gel coat.

Please forget hard wax bars (designed for metal polishing), carnuba waxes etc. The science in detailing has advanced a bit during last 50 years. New stuff really works. Polymer sealant in my wings feels like it's done yesterday, after 200hr flight hours this year. Just watch some car detailing gurus do their magic on youtube for tutorial.
Old October 22nd 20, 02:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nicholas Kennedy

On Monday, October 19, 2020 at 5:36:46 AM UTC-6, krasw wrote:

krasw
It sounds like you did some research in the Polymer/Ceramic sealant dept.
What did you use?
Is it difficult to apply?
How long does it last?
Is it exspensive?
Thanks in advance
Nick
Old October 23rd 20, 10:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

On Thursday, 22 October 2020 at 16:42:23 UTC+3, wrote:
On Monday, October 19, 2020 at 5:36:46 AM UTC-6, krasw wrote:

krasw
It sounds like you did some research in the Polymer/Ceramic sealant dept.
What did you use?
Is it difficult to apply?
How long does it last?
Is it exspensive?
Thanks in advance
Nick

This is pretty good read: https://www.foamee.com.au/blogs/faq/...s-sio2-coating

Right now I'm using PTFE (Teflon) sealant that water droplets just jump off:
https://soft99usa.com/auto/product/f...12-months-wax/

I have also tried Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Polish & Wax with rotary buffer, and intend to polish my glider lightly with it next year.
Old October 25th 20, 08:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matthew Scutter

On Monday, October 19, 2020 at 2:43:41 AM UTC+10, wrote:
I just purchased my first glider and I am struggling to locate via google any good articles, books, manuals, videos, etc... on what methods and practices are available to keep the finish of a gel coated glider up to snuff. There seem to be at least two basic schools of thought, one utilizing polish type products, the other buffing with hard wax.

I would have thought by now after 50+ years of fiberglass glider construction, there should be many good & helpful articles written on the subject. I would appreciate a gentle nudge in the correct direction, or if you are so inclined, please feel free to leave your 2 cents on the subject. (Please, I hope this doesn't open up some sleeping can of worms).

I like the Aerolack line, makes for a mirror finish, feel slippery and bugs noticably stick less.
https://www.navboys.com/Bucket_bundle.html has everything you need.

I do leading edges (lightly) every two days flying (3 minutes work), top surfaces every week (10 minutes), and bottom surfaces every two weeks (10 minutes). Scrub on firmly with a cheesecloth, dry, rub off. Plexus for the canopy as required.

Good Finish 7F 7K Soaring 5 February 12th 17 04:48 PM
Advise wanted for maintaining gelcoat that is already FUBAR PBA Soaring 24 April 8th 15 08:58 PM
SRA - Good Finish !!! Ken Kochanski (KK) Soaring 0 September 5th 09 12:58 PM
Fiberglass/gelcoat repair question Kilo Charlie Soaring 9 April 19th 05 03:30 PM
Carbon Fiber - Achieving Glossy Finish w/o GelCoat RKT Home Built 7 March 8th 04 07:15 AM