Barographs?

Old May 25th 10, 02:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Westbender

Default Barographs?

A word of caution. Go with someone who has a known reputation for
calibrating baragraphs used for soaring badges.

I sent mine to a company that was very responsive and provided a quick
turn-around. However, the calibration documentation was not accepted
when I submitted it with my flight. The beginning and ending altitude
(sea-level) was not labeled next to the bottom "steps" on the lab
trace. So, if you don't use someone like Joe Trinkwalder, you might
think about asking Judy to verify the calibration before bothering to
use it. She will reject on the slightest technicality. Although that's
no fault of hers. She's just going by the book.
Old May 25th 10, 02:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Grider Pirate

On May 25, 6:42*am, Westbender wrote:
A word of caution. Go with someone who has a known reputation for
calibrating baragraphs used for soaring badges.

I sent mine to a company that was very responsive and provided a quick
turn-around. However, the calibration documentation was not accepted
when I submitted it with my flight. The beginning and ending altitude
(sea-level) was not labeled next to the bottom "steps" on the lab
trace. So, if you don't use someone like Joe Trinkwalder, you might
think about asking Judy to verify the calibration before bothering to
use it. She will reject on the slightest technicality. Although that's
no fault of hers. She's just going by the book.

I also had a badge claim rejected due to mistakes on the calibration.
If you have a previous calibration trace, compare it to the new one to
see if anything is amiss!
Old May 25th 10, 05:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Approval for position recorders is up to each national organization.
Currently there's a few of us working on approving some units for
US badge claims. *The FlyWithCE recorder that Wings & Wheels
carries should be approved any time now, based on the approval
that Australia already did for the unit. *Tim carries that unit for
a very reasonable price. *You can use that (if you also carry
a barograph) for badge claims up through Gold.

The position recorder/barograph combo that was added to the Sporting
Code last October is definitely an exciting step in the right
direction but I'm not sure what problem it really solves. Any badge
flight you can claim with the position recorder/barograph combo can be
done with the barograph alone.

The only badge leg that cannot be accomplished with a Barograph only
is Diamond Goal and the position recorder cannot be used for Diamond
claims.

I suppose it will be handy for people who dont want to land away from
home. But my feelings on free distance are pretty well documented
here I'd rather spend the 100 bucks on 5 more tows or some gas for
the crew car so I get to explore new places.
Old May 25th 10, 10:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
quietpilot

On May 24, 2:36*pm, Andy wrote:
On May 24, 11:06*am, jcarlyle wrote:

I've got an old Replogle you can have. Contact me off line at jcarlyle
at interserv dot com.

Now you're spoiling the whole "retro" experience with modern
technology! *He should be made to smoke foils and learn how to seal
them without blowing the trace away.

Andy

I have had been gifted a barograph long ago. and may start having a
use for it. where can I learn this art? and get foils/tracepaper. I
have looked and come up empty
Old May 25th 10, 11:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On May 25, 9:04*am, Burt Compton - Marfa wrote:
Ed Replogle's Barographs are wonderful. *They tick, they look cool,
feel good . . . *the smooth machined drum for the trace paper . . .
the little fingertip handle as you carry it to the sailplane. *I keep
two Replogle barographs ready for altitude flights at Marfa in
southwest Texas. *Visiting pilots may borrow one as a backup to their
logger.

Preparing the barograph follows a time-honored and traditional
protocol that is deliberate and in sequence. *For luck, we always wind
the clock spring (very slowly and gently) with a US quarter coin from
North Carolina, the issue with the 1903 Wright airplane (motorglider)
on it. *The increasing tension of the spring as you wind it and the
sound of the clockworks ticking matches your anticipation of a
"personal-best" soaring flight. *The barograph comes to life, and it
has a heartbeat.

On my shelf in my hangar I display a vintage smoke foil mechanical
barograph given to my father Fritz Compton by Wolf Hirth (the German
soaring pioneer) after WWII. *Dad used it for his soaring badges and
his Bendix trophy flights beginning in 1948. *I used it for my Silver
Badge flights decades ago. *Tradition.

You can still have your barograph calibrated in the USA. *I use Joe
Trinkwalder in Tonawanda, NY, who calibrates each Ed Replogle
barograph with great care and reverence for his late friend "Rep".
Contact info is in "Soaring" magazine classified ad section under
Instruments, along with other calibration labs.

Here is Ed's Obit: * Ed ("Rep") Replogle, an engineer and inventor
whose career as a pilot spanned nearly seven decades, died on February
17, 2002 in Buffalo, NY.

Born in 1916 in Columbus, OH, Rep soloed in 1932 in a Gypsy Moth
biplane. His soaring career began in a Franklin Utility at a glider
club at the University of Michigan, where he graduated with a degree
in Aeronautical Engineering in 1938. His distinguished engineering
career included stints with Budd, Kaiser Fleetwing, Bellanca and Bell
Aircraft; finishing up as an independent inventor with over 20 patents
to his credit.

Rep's record as a competitive soaring pilot included wins the 1-26
(Region 1 1968, 21st Wright Memorial), standard (Region 1 1974, Region
6 South 1988) and 15 meter (Region 4 1983, Region 6 1983) classes.
Nonetheless, he is probably best known in soaring circles for his
Replogle Barograph, which has sold over 3000 units since its
introduction in 1965. * * Rep is survived by his wife June, and sons
Doug and Ron.

Ed Replogle's heartbeat continues as clockwork ticks in his
barographs . . .

Burt
Marfa, west Texas
USA

He also invented the inertia reel seatbelt.
An Amazing guy I was lucky enough to know.
UH
Old October 18th 20, 08:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim S

10 year old thread but anybody know where to find a mechanical barograph? Thanks.
Old October 18th 20, 08:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

On Sunday, October 18, 2020 at 1:09:55 PM UTC-6, Jim S wrote:
10 year old thread but anybody know where to find a mechanical barograph? Thanks.

Just post a wanted ad like you did. There are about a thousand of them sitting on shelves collecting dust. Do you want smoke or pressure sensitive paper? What size? Metal or plastic case.
Old October 18th 20, 08:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
James Metcalfe

At 19:09 18 October 2020, Jim S wrote:
10 year old thread but anybody know where to find a mechanical

barograph?
Thanks.

I have a Winter barograph, last used in anger in 1997 but still ticks!
Also a packet of foils (it'll work with smoked paper, but foil is better).

But ... it's in the UK, and I have no idea how well it would travel, nor
what the authorities would make of chunks of metal for shipping!

J. (MetcalfeIJ {at} gmail.com)

Old October 18th 20, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Sunday, October 18, 2020 at 3:09:55 PM UTC-4, Jim S wrote:
10 year old thread but anybody know where to find a mechanical barograph? Thanks.

They're not accepted for badge flying according to the 2020 Sporting Code, by my reading of it (from the 2020 Edition, effective 1 Oct 2020):

1.4 BADGE and RECORD REQUIREMENTS
1.4.1 General
Electronic flight data and a DECLARATION are required except where specifically exempt.

3.3.3 Altitude evidence
a. Up to 15,000 metres, pressure data recorded by an FR shall be used.

NAC (read SSA)-approved position recorders can be used, with GPS altitude, with an altitude penalty, up to the end of the Gold Badge.

To read the Sporting Code, go to https://www.fai.org/igc-documents . Then scroll down and select 'Gliding'. Then select 'Sporting Code - Section 3 Gliding'. Then select 'Current Sporting Code for Gliding'. Then there's a drop-down list. You want the 'Sporting Code Section 3' - which has the definitions; and Annex C, which is the 'how-to'.

Old October 18th 20, 09:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Jim S wrote on 10/18/2020 12:09 PM:
10 year old thread but anybody know where to find a mechanical barograph? Thanks.

Well, I just look up at my "shelf museum" when I want to find one. It's a Replogle - still
ticks after winding - that served me well during my badge hunts in the 70's. It's sitting next
to a Bayside 2 channel, crystal controlled radio, a 121.5 ELT bought when contests required
them, and a $700 moving "map" GPS that took 10 minutes to acquire 5 or 6 satellites, then
display a few airports on the 2.4" B&W screen. Oh, and an Instamatic camera.