Composite tool review

Old October 23rd 20, 02:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Composite tool review

I am thinking about upgrading my composite repair game. Does anyone have experience with these tools?

https://mirka-online.com/mrp-650cv-m...xoCx3sQAvD_BwE

https://flexisander.com/collections/tool-sets
Old October 23rd 20, 08:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Sinclair[_5_]

On Friday, October 23, 2020 at 6:28:42 AM UTC-7, wrote:
I am thinking about upgrading my composite repair game. Does anyone have experience with these tools?

https://mirka-online.com/mrp-650cv-m...xoCx3sQAvD_BwE

https://flexisander.com/collections/tool-sets

I haven’t used that specific model, but we gave up on pneumatic sanders because they pulled the compressor down almost right away and sometimes they would freeze up as moisture formed as a result of pressure release at sander. All in all I believe the electric sanders are best + you can run several at the same time, if you are lucky enough to have anyone willing to do what have to rank very high on the worst job in the world, list!
JJ
Old October 24th 20, 01:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, October 23, 2020 at 12:00:57 PM UTC-7, John Sinclair wrote:
On Friday, October 23, 2020 at 6:28:42 AM UTC-7, wrote:
I am thinking about upgrading my composite repair game. Does anyone have experience with these tools?

https://mirka-online.com/mrp-650cv-m...xoCx3sQAvD_BwE

https://flexisander.com/collections/tool-sets

I haven’t used that specific model, but we gave up on pneumatic sanders because they pulled the compressor down almost right away and sometimes they would freeze up as moisture formed as a result of pressure release at sander. All in all I believe the electric sanders are best + you can run several at the same time, if you are lucky enough to have anyone willing to do what have to rank very high on the worst job in the world, list!
JJ

What electric models do you like JJ? I would like one with a vacuum attachment of course.
Old October 24th 20, 03:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Sinclair[_5_]

On Friday, October 23, 2020 at 5:59:02 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

We have tried them all, but for the money I don’t think you can beat the Ridgid DA sold at Home Depot for $60ish! It has a debris bag, but I don’t think it gathers all that much. It’s a damned nasty job with white dust billowing all over the place! Wear a good mask and turn on the fans and blow the shop out when through! 60 grit seems to work the best, but you can get other opinions on that?
Hope this helps,
JJ. ...........Ex-refinisher

Old October 25th 20, 12:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nicholas Kennedy

Kuzi
I've said this before on this forum; Get a couple of Mexican laborers to help with the sanding
Money well spent if you ask me.
Nick
Old October 25th 20, 04:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, October 24, 2020 at 4:54:01 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Kuzi
I've said this before on this forum; Get a couple of Mexican laborers to help with the sanding
Money well spent if you ask me.
Nick

Until they sand well into the fiberglass! Someone tried that in an aircraft paint shop a few years ago. A King Air 350 got totaled! They sanded the rivet heads half off...
Old October 26th 20, 08:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Per Carlin

I have an Mirka Deros CV 650 since a few years back and my only complaint is that I should have invested in one earlier. They are expensive, but it is worth the money in the long run.
The "dust free" concept with Mirka Autonet/Abranet is truly a dust free sanding concept. With P80 does it take about 15-20h to strip the Gelcote from the wings of a 15m glider and there are literally no dust in the workshop when the job is done. I have used the machine though all the steps from removal of gelcoat to polishing the new PU-paint on my glider. Also use the machine it for applying and removal of liquid hardvax as the yearly maintenance och both glider and trailer, is saves both time and pain in the back. There have also been used for misc projects as building a kayak and renovating furnitures. It works for both for dry sanding, wet sanding (Autonet P400+ and Abralon P1000+) as for polishing.

Buy one, you will love it!

But take care, an orbital sander used the wrong way can destroy a glider in minutes. Here is an guide of do and don’t with an orbital sander:
https://laughingloon.com/sanding.html

My kayak project (in Swedish, use google translate)
https://sites.google.com/view/minkajak/home
Old October 26th 20, 01:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

For rough sanding, grinding and shaping composites, including carbon fiber, I highly recommend tools from Perma Grit. They are impregnated with tungsten carbide and just never seem to wear out. The basic coarse or fine hand tools are around $80 per set. They also have a lot of rotary cutters, blocks, shapers, saw blades, hole saws and more.

https://www.permagrit.com/coarse-hand-tools/

Abranet sanding sheets and Mirka tools have also been mentioned. Two thumbs up on the Abranet. I only have a Mirka sanding block, but I definitely recommend it. If their other tools are of the same quality, I don't think you could find anything better.