taller battery holder/clips for Ventus 2?

Old October 2nd 10, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank[_12_]

Default taller battery holder/clips for Ventus 2?

I'm considering the addition of a PowerFlarm and probably a
transponder (TTG21/22) to my Ventus 2bx, and am wondering if anyone
has modified the forward and/or aft battery restraints to accommodate
taller batteries. The restraints in my ship are set up for the
typical 7-9AH SLA with dimensions 5.94"L x 2.56"W x 3.94"H. The next
standard size up (literally) has the same length and width dimensions
but a height of 4.61". There is plenty of room for the additional
3/4" or so, but current molded restraint clips won't work.

Does Schemp-Hirth make molded clips/restraints that will fit the
taller batteries, or am I on my own?

Regards,

Frank (TA)
Old October 2nd 10, 12:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

On Oct 1, 4:05*pm, Frank wrote:
I'm considering the addition of a PowerFlarm and probably a
transponder (TTG21/22) to my Ventus 2bx, and am wondering if anyone
has modified the forward and/or aft battery restraints to accommodate
taller batteries. *The restraints in my ship are set up for the
typical 7-9AH SLA with dimensions 5.94"L x 2.56"W x 3.94"H. *The next
standard size up (literally) has the same length and width dimensions
but a height of 4.61". *There is plenty of room for the additional
3/4" or so, but current molded restraint clips won't work.

Does Schemp-Hirth make molded clips/restraints that will fit the
taller batteries, or am I on my own?

Regards,

Frank (TA)

I addressed this problem in my Discus 2 by making the front battery
dedicated to the transponder and the two main batteries in the
compartment behind the seat for the flight instruments and radio. I
don't even use the fin-mounted battery. If you have the same
arrangement, you should have plenty of capacity with the available
slots, but you might want to spread the load.

Mike
Old October 2nd 10, 12:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner

For my ASW-27 I made humped steel brackets to replace the standard
flat brackets that go across the top of the Schlicher battery box.
My plan was to transfer the thumbscrews from the old bracket to the
new. However, I found that the short original thumbscrews were
difficult to access around the new tall bracket. That led me to
design a tall captured thumbscrew that I turned on the lathe and
knurled. Works great. Using 10 AH batteries now.

Steve Koerner
www.wingrigger.com
Old October 2nd 10, 12:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner

On Oct 1, 4:28*pm, Steve Koerner wrote:
For my ASW-27 I made humped steel brackets to replace the standard
flat brackets that go across the top of the Schlicher battery box.
My plan was to transfer the thumbscrews from the old bracket to the
new. *However, I found that the short original thumbscrews were
difficult to access around the new tall bracket. * That led me to
design a tall captured thumbscrew that I turned on the lathe and
knurled. *Works great. *Using 10 AH batteries now.

Steve Koernerwww.wingrigger.com

My reply, of course, applies to Schliechers and probably isn't much
help to the OP with a V2.
Steve
Old October 2nd 10, 06:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
weersch[_2_]

Hi Frank
In my V2C I just press the taller 10.5AH battery in the front holder.
The 2 retention clips stay spread out and stay on the side.
But the battery cannot go anywhere even with the restrains not being
on top (as they are supposed to be with the 7AH battery)
My 2 main batteries are still the 7AH.
But this winter I am going to fabricate a new taller bracket to also
accommodate the taller 10.5AH batteries in the main compartment.
Due to CofG, I am not using the tail battery
In the past I have been running the 7+7+10.5AH with a old Terra
transponder, an old GPSMAP195, an old LNAV (all power hogs) with no
problem.
Currently I have the TT21, IPAQ310, LNAV+Etrex.
This setup uses even less power.
I am waiting for the PowerFlarm, but that is a minimal power add-on.

Having separate power circuits for your (modern) transponder is just
adding unnecessary wiring complexity to your system.
You can have all 3 batteries switched in parallel and just have 1
power feed.
The 2 7AH main batteries are switched together in any way (at least on
my ship)
It is better to invest your effort in a good fat power bus running
from your batteries to your power distribution panel.
In my ship I replaced the original power bus (ground of all batteries
running through 1 wire of a 25 wire printer cable) by a fat 12 AGW
Tefzel cable.
Since then I don't have power supply problems anymore, like
unexplainable premature voltage drop.
Of course you have to charge the batteries separately.
Hans Van Weersch (3U)
Old October 2nd 10, 06:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
weersch[_2_]

By the way, the TT21 fits very nicely in the bottom pod under the tilt
panel on my V2C.
I did the installation myself and it was very easy.
Your V2B should have the same fuselage.
Hans Van Weersch (3U)

Old October 2nd 10, 08:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Purdie[_3_]

Turbo/self-launch equipped Ventus 2 normally have a 17AH battery under the
panel, but as it is bonded in I guess it's a factory install, or a
significant bonding task. You shuoklbe be able to carefully cut the
existing clips and make an insert to extend them, but as it is a mod then
it depends what sort of CofA system you are on how annoying the paperwork
is (if you do it fully legally). The US 'Experimental' category has its
advantages.

I concur with Weersch - the bottom pod is ideal for the TRIG TT control
unit, and the main box can go back behind the wheel box to make the
antenna co-ax run as short as possible (desirable for RF loss).

Old October 2nd 10, 02:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
hotelalpha

On Oct 2, 12:08*am, Peter Purdie wrote:
[...]

I owned a V2c. I also dedicated the front battery for the
transponder.
Transponders don't play well with others and don't like sharing!
The two other batteries were more than enough for a radio, SN10,
and PDA.

Sean
Old October 2nd 10, 03:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

On Oct 1, 5:05*pm, Frank wrote:
I'm considering the addition of a PowerFlarm and probably a
transponder (TTG21/22) to my Ventus 2bx, and am wondering if anyone
has modified the forward and/or aft battery restraints to accommodate
taller batteries. *The restraints in my ship are set up for the
typical 7-9AH SLA with dimensions 5.94"L x 2.56"W x 3.94"H. *The next
standard size up (literally) has the same length and width dimensions
but a height of 4.61". *There is plenty of room for the additional
3/4" or so, but current molded restraint clips won't work.

Does Schemp-Hirth make molded clips/restraints that will fit the
taller batteries, or am I on my own?

Regards,

Frank (TA)

Frank,

To answer your question directly. No factory replacenment that I know
of, but pretty easy to mod the factory box. Either cut and extend the
current tabs or put outside tabs and use a bungie doughnut.

Old October 2nd 10, 03:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

Sean,

I own the LS8-18 you used to fly. I have to disagree with your
statement "Transponders don't play well with others and don't like
sharing".

I replaced the Terra TRT250D and the Ameri-King AK-350 you had with a
Trig TT21. The Trig, an SN-10, a Becker AR-4201, a Volkslogger and an
iPAQ 3950 all run quite happily for up to 6 hours off one 9 AH
battery. As you know, there is another 9 AH battery ready to be
switched in as a spare, but I've never needed it.

-John