Troubling story and some questions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 10th 08, 02:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Troubling story and some questions

On Jan 9, 4:49*pm, Andreas Maurer wrote:
On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 11:59:29 -0800 (PST), wrote:
I think the concern is more that when you open the spoilers you load
up the wing outboard of the spoilers and might create bending moments
that would break the spar - especially above Vne.

Never.
As long as you don't pull really high g-loads (as it was the case in
that Nimbus 4 crash), this is not going to happen.

It's always a good
idea to be familiar with this part of the operating manual for the
specific sailplane type you're flying as you won't habe time to look
it up when you need to know. In any event it would be a wild ride.

This is why I asked - so far I haven't met a glider yet whose POH
didn't allow airbrake extension up to Vne.

Bye
Andreas

Sorry for the confustion Andreas - that's what I meant. If you are
over Vne (or at any speed really) you will need to pull some G's to
get then nose up and he airspeed down. But the bending moment for any
given G-load is higher with the spoilers deployed because only the
outer 2/3 of the wing is lifting. This is why you have different G-
limits with the spoilers out, as I recall. I will need to get my POH
out this winter and read it again. I think you are right that you can
deploy the spoilers up to redline for most gliders, but I think there
are warnings in my POH about what a violent a maneuver it can be. I'll
have to check.

I think there was a thread on the topic of the Minden Nimbus 4 crash a
while ago and in it there was discussion as to whether under certian
conditions (like a steep spiral dive) you are better off pulling the
spoilers first or using the bigger G-envelope with the spoilers closed
to get the nose up first. I don't think there was a final resolution.

9B