whats a good LA area GA airport to visit?

Old December 1st 07, 08:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
buttman

Default whats a good LA area GA airport to visit?

I'm planning a trip to the Los Angeles area tomorrow (12-2), but am
not sure which airport I want to use. The flight will originate from
the Modesto area, and I'll be doing it in a C-152. I've never been
down that way, so I'm at a total loss as to which airport is best. I
want some place thats both easy to get in and out of, as well as
scenery rich. Van Nuys looks good, but it's super busy, so it may end
up more effort than it's worth. All I plan on doing is stopping to get
fuel and maybe some lunch, and then head back. Burbank also looks
good, as I recently flew into there last week on an airline, and
judging from seeing planes takeoff and land, it didn't seem very busy.
Anyone have any suggestions?
Old December 1st 07, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose

I'm planning a trip to the Los Angeles area tomorrow (12-2), but am
not sure which airport I want to use. The flight will originate from
the Modesto area, and I'll be doing it in a C-152. I've never been
down that way, so I'm at a total loss as to which airport is best. I
want some place thats both easy to get in and out of, as well as
scenery rich. Van Nuys looks good, but it's super busy, so it may end
up more effort than it's worth. All I plan on doing is stopping to get
fuel and maybe some lunch, and then head back. Burbank also looks
good, as I recently flew into there last week on an airline, and
judging from seeing planes takeoff and land, it didn't seem very busy.
Anyone have any suggestions?

El Monte (EMT).

Go to FAST Aviation.

Look in airnav.com for comments on the airports you are thinking of.
Van Nuys and Burbank are all expensive, and cater to jets. El Monte is
very GA friendly, and FAST is not expensive. If you stay overnight,
they charge a $5 parking fee... good for an entire week (of coming and
going, or staying).

I learned to fly there, and go there every time I come to the area (from
Santa Rosa) and have been happy. There's also a nice airport restaurant
on the field, it's maybe a thousand feet North of FAST (which is near
the southern end of the field).

Jose
--
You can choose whom to befriend, but you cannot choose whom to love.

Old December 1st 07, 09:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

buttman wrote:
I'm planning a trip to the Los Angeles area tomorrow (12-2), but am
not sure which airport I want to use. The flight will originate from
the Modesto area, and I'll be doing it in a C-152. I've never been
down that way, so I'm at a total loss as to which airport is best. I
want some place thats both easy to get in and out of, as well as
scenery rich. Van Nuys looks good, but it's super busy, so it may end
up more effort than it's worth. All I plan on doing is stopping to get
fuel and maybe some lunch, and then head back. Burbank also looks
good, as I recently flew into there last week on an airline, and
judging from seeing planes takeoff and land, it didn't seem very busy.
Anyone have any suggestions?

If you mean scenery around the airport proper, there isn't much
except maybe Camarillo.

If you mean you want to take in the sights of the LA basin, then
there is El Monte, Cable, Riverside, Corona, Chino, and Fullerton, all
of which are GA friendly and have good restaurants.

Corona supposedly has the cheapest gas in the basin.

You WILL want to use flight following in the basin and it will make
getting around the various airspaces a lot easier.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old December 2nd 07, 12:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

Chino if the museum is open..
Brackett for a nice lunch.. SW corner.
BT

Old December 2nd 07, 06:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron

On Sat, 1 Dec 2007 12:06:45 -0800 (PST), buttman
wrote:

I'm planning a trip to the Los Angeles area tomorrow (12-2), but am
not sure which airport I want to use. The flight will originate from
the Modesto area, and I'll be doing it in a C-152. I've never been
down that way, so I'm at a total loss as to which airport is best. I
want some place thats both easy to get in and out of, as well as
scenery rich. Van Nuys looks good, but it's super busy, so it may end
up more effort than it's worth. All I plan on doing is stopping to get
fuel and maybe some lunch, and then head back. Burbank also looks
good, as I recently flew into there last week on an airline, and
judging from seeing planes takeoff and land, it didn't seem very busy.
Anyone have any suggestions?

Van Nuys is not that hard to get into and out of, even on weekends,
but there is no really easy on field restaurant except for the Airtel
Motel and it can be crowded for parking. There is no other transient
aircraft parking on field anywhere near a restaurant.

If you want to avoid the bulk of LAX airspace, Camarillo is the best
bet. Parking near the on field restaurant and good food to
boot. Whiteman is good too and there is an acceptable on field
restaurant. In the LA basin there are a number of airports that are
GA friendly, as the others have noted. All are good.

Ron Kelley
Old December 2nd 07, 02:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In addition - F70 French Valley - a little further out. Cheaper fuel.
Good Restaurant for burgers, easy in/out as no tower, Class B or C.
Next to March AFB TCA tho.
Old December 2nd 07, 02:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 20:13:34 GMT, Jose
wrote in :

El Monte is very GA friendly,

Does it still have that rubber coated runway?
Old December 2nd 07, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 21:05:02 GMT, wrote in
:

You WILL want to use flight following in the basin and it will make
getting around the various airspaces a lot easier.

Absolutely true. Turn on a landing light for collision avoidance too.

Old December 2nd 07, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Sat, 1 Dec 2007 12:06:45 -0800 (PST), buttman
wrote in
:

Anyone have any suggestions?

The Supermarine museum at Santa Monica is not to be missed:
http://www.smmirror.com/volume4/issu..._of_flying.asp

Update:
http://santa-monica.org/airport/mont...g%20Update.pdf