Logging Glider Flight Time

Old August 6th 12, 05:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RN

Default Logging Glider Flight Time

Should a new student start loggin his glider flight time in hours and
minutes or hours and tenths of hours.

What is most popular where you fly?

How do you do it?

Advantages and disadvantages?

Your comments will be appreciated.
Old August 6th 12, 06:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, August 6, 2012 12:52:28 PM UTC-4, RN wrote:
Should a new student start loggin his glider flight time in hours and minutes or hours and tenths of hours. What is most popular where you fly? How do you do it? Advantages and disadvantages? Your comments will be appreciated.

Minutes provide a smaller available increment obviously. Otherwisw how would one log a 2 minute simulated launch failure as an example.
Some folks who log in tenths in their airplane logs simply convert once a month and put into their master log in tenths.
FWIW
UH
Old August 6th 12, 06:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bart[_4_]

On Aug 6, 9:52*am, RN wrote:
Should a new student start loggin his glider flight time in hours and
minutes or hours and tenths of hours.

[....]
How do you do it?
Advantages and disadvantages?

I use minutes.

I do not like tenths of hours. Too coarse, in my humble opinion -
especially for someone who is still in the training stage. Hours and
minutes are fine, but it is far easier to calculate your total if you
use minutes alone.

Bart
Old August 6th 12, 07:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Whelan[_3_]

On 8/6/2012 10:52 AM, RN wrote:
Should a new student start loggin his glider flight time in hours and
minutes or hours and tenths of hours.

What is most popular where you fly?

How do you do it?

Advantages and disadvantages?

Your comments will be appreciated.

Others have noted the "coarseness" aspect.

With that in mind, I'd recommend using whatever you're most comfortable with.
(I use hours/minutes and never had a reason to whine...)

Regards,
Bob W.
Old August 6th 12, 07:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, August 6, 2012 11:52:28 AM UTC-5, RN wrote:
Should a new student start loggin his glider flight time in hours and

minutes or hours and tenths of hours.

What is most popular where you fly?

How do you do it?

Advantages and disadvantages?

Your comments will be appreciated.

For about 10 years now I use a home-made Excel spreadsheet for logging. I just transfer the flight times from the SeeYou statistics page into the spreadsheet in hours:minutes:seconds
Excel will nicely add up the YTD total and the grand total over many individual sheets.
Short and local flight: just don't log them, except of course in your glider logbook.
Herb J7
Old August 6th 12, 07:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Grider Pirate[_2_]

On Aug 6, 11:33*am, wrote:
On Monday, August 6, 2012 11:52:28 AM UTC-5, RN wrote:
Should a new student start loggin his glider flight time in hours and

minutes or hours and tenths of hours.

What is most popular where you fly?

How do you do it?

Advantages and disadvantages?

Your comments will be appreciated.

For about 10 years now I use a home-made Excel spreadsheet for logging. *I just transfer the flight times from the SeeYou statistics page into the spreadsheet in hours:minutes:seconds
Excel will nicely add up the YTD total and the grand total over many individual *sheets.
Short and local flight: just don't log them, except of course in your glider logbook.
Herb J7- Hide quoted text -

I use hours and tenths, just because I keep track of stats in an Excel
spreadsheet, and it's too easy to mess up an hours/minutes entry.
Yes, you do lose some granularity.
Old August 6th 12, 08:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

It is really a matter of preference. With that said, you will find that a great many pilots who fly both power and gliders use tenths since that is the strong power standard, and it makes it easy to integrate your overall flight time.

Skip Guimond
Old August 7th 12, 12:31 AM
Ventus_a Ventus_a is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RN View Post
Should a new student start loggin his glider flight time in hours and
minutes or hours and tenths of hours.

What is most popular where you fly?

How do you do it?

Advantages and disadvantages?

Your comments will be appreciated.
I use hours and minutes, figuring that when I can no longer get my head round the math involved it's time to stop flying :-)

Colin
Old August 7th 12, 06:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 8/6/2012 4:31 PM, Ventus_a wrote:
RN;820791 Wrote:
Should a new student start loggin his glider flight time in hours and
minutes or hours and tenths of hours.

What is most popular where you fly?

How do you do it?

Advantages and disadvantages?

Your comments will be appreciated.

I use hours and minutes, figuring that when I can no longer get my head
round the math involved it's time to stop flying :-)

Nah! Just round off the time to the nearest hour and write that down.
Easy! That's what I started to do at about the 2000 hour mark.

email me)
Old August 7th 12, 04:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

As a student pilot in the USAF, I learned to use hours and tenths. As ain
airline pilot, we had a mechanical calculator in the ops room that input
hours and minutes from the trip log and spit out the total (in hours and
minutes). I converted that to hours and tenths since it's easer to add up
in my logbook.

It's worked for me for 40 years. Who cares if, in all that time, I've
gained or lost a few hours of flight time?

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to email
me)