Why GA is Dying

Old July 28th 06, 04:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Default Why GA is Dying

Get the book, it isn't expensive and is very well written.
He has a column in the American Handgunner that is always
thought provoking.

I have a friend who took his LFI classes years ago.

some support

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
| Jim Macklin wrote:
|
| Mas A yob, nice guy as long as he's on your side.
|
| I've never met him. I've read a few articles he's written
in the gun
| mags, but he doesn't write for the two (American Rifleman
and Shooting
| Times) which I get by subscription. I occasionally pick
up one of those

Old July 28th 06, 04:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Default POL Why GA is Dying

At the time, he thought it was. The issue should be moot.

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
| Jim Macklin wrote:
|
| The King of Spain gave a few people most of southern
Texas.

| "Bob Noel" wrote in
| message

| | In article , Matt
| Whiting
| | wrote:
| |
| | Yes, but it isn't yours as your family stole it from
the
| native Americans.
| |
| | who stole it from other native americans, who stole it
| from ....
| |
| | --
| | Bob Noel
| | Looking for a sig the
| | lawyers will hate
| |

Old July 28th 06, 04:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

Default OT rifle caliber (was Why GA is Dying)

Ok, what do the numbers mean? I've heard of a "thirty ought six" referring to a gun, and think I know one of them (.30 inches?) refers to the gauge (width of the bullet). What's the other?

The year, 1906.

Interesting. Can you name any other bullets with this name format that
are as well known as the thirty ought six? What's so special about this
one?

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old July 28th 06, 05:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

It was the official cartridge of the US military and tens of
thousands of surplus military rifles were sold and millions
of commercial rifles world-wide in the same caliber
[European call it the 7.62x63]

Military designations are often simple, to a supply officer
in procurement. Every nation had its own system and
commercial makers would alter names so they could be
copyrighted.

So the 7.62x51 NATO was released by Winchester as the .308
Winchester.
The Krag rifle which was adopted in the late 1890 period
used smokeless powder and the old black powder designation
system... .30-40-220 Krag 30 caliber, 40 grains of powder
and a 220 grain bullet. Just after the Civil War the Army
adopted the 1873 Springfield rifle in caliber .45-70-405
which was a 45 caliber bullet weighing 405 grain [almost a
full ounce of lead] and 70 grains of black powder.

The .38 Special uses a 35 caliber bullet and the 44 Special
and Magnum use a 43 caliber bullet. The need to have a
unique name is often more important than precise accuracy.
Some cartridges are named according to the bullet diameter
and some according to the bore diameter not counting the
depth of the rifling grooves. A .270 uses .277 bullets and
might be called 6.8 mm. The 5.56x45 is the 5.56 NATO or the
commercial .223 Remington and is chambered in the M16, Ruger
Mini-14 and a lot of other rifles and some handguns.

Of hand I can't think of any other cartridge that uses a
date, but there probably is more than one. You can look up
just about every cartridge in a book from Gun Digest
CARTRIDGES of the WORLD.

some support

. ..

Old July 28th 06, 02:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

"Grumman-581" wrote in message
On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 14:56:46 GMT, "Ken Finney"
wrote:
There was a step in the middle. Originally, you had to be a landowner.
Then many (most? all?) places changed the requirement to a poll tax,
then
the Civil Rights Act outlawed poll taxes.

If someone doesn't own property, why should they have a say in how the
country is run?

Well, I pay a hell of a lot more in income taxes than I do in property
taxes. I think that ought to give me some say in how my money is spent.

Old July 28th 06, 02:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_1_]

"Grumman-581" wrote in message
On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 11:48:10 -0500, Emily
wrote:
Barf. I HATE the idea of mandatory military duty. **** that.

Well, I did my time, so I don't have a problem with them requiring
it... All in all, as much as I bitched about it at the time, I would
have to say that it definitely builds character...

Yeah...the cahracter of servant and pawns -- somre measure of liberty you
got there!

Then again, as we
used to say, "A happy sailor is a bitching sailor"...

If they ain't bitchin', they ain't happy!

Old July 28th 06, 03:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_1_]

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message
STARSHIP TROOPERS, Service equals Citizenship. You have all
the rights, except the right to vote unless your risked your
life. When your discharged, you get to vote.

The movie sucked, the books was very good.

If I ruled the USA, voters would have to pass a test run by
a machine, identify certain people by their picture, pick
the correct answer to a few questions on the Constitution.
Which people you ask? Public figures from history; Lincoln,
Grant, Lee, Henry, Washington, Ike, Reagan, their current
Congressman and Senators, maybe some Supreme Court members.
What history? Random questions, anything, Civil War, WWI
and WWII, Mexican War 1 and 2, Bill of Rights, enough to
show they have some interest and are aware of the issues.

But that isn't likely to happen. politicians prefer stupid
voters who will keep returning them to office.

Maybe they'll ask questions about sports or entertainment.

Old July 28th 06, 03:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_1_]

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message
STARSHIP TROOPERS, Service equals Citizenship. You have all
the rights, except the right to vote unless your risked your
life. When your discharged, you get to vote.

The movie sucked, the books was very good.

The book was almost 180 degrees opposed to the movie.

Old July 28th 06, 03:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_1_]

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message
Those may just be rentals.

What plot of ground is 6'x3'? :~)

"newsgroups.comcast.net" wrote in
message . ..
| Like Chicago, for example. So I hear.
|
| "Matt Barrow" wrote in message
|
| In many localities, people who own nothing more than a
6'x3' plot of land
| get to vote.
|
| Some of them quite frequently.
|

| --
| Matt
| ---------------------
| Matthew W. Barrow
| Site-Fill Homes, LLC.
| Montrose, CO (MTJ)
|
| (In the 2004 election, 169 counties had higher vote
TALLIES than they did
| eligible voters. The same was true for the entire state
of Maine. That's

Old July 28th 06, 03:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_1_]

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 21:35:16 GMT, Matt Whiting
wrote:
I guess I'd be OK with this as long as only those who vote had to pay
taxes.

I'd say only those who pay taxes (about a certain, though relatively
minimal, amount) got to vote. Keeps parasites from voting themselves into
someone else's wallet.