Why GA is Dying

Old July 28th 06, 10:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Default OT rifle caliber (was Why GA is Dying)

Jose wrote:

Ok, what do the numbers mean? I've heard of a "thirty ought six"
referring to a gun, and think I know one of them (.30 inches?) refers
to the gauge (width of the bullet). What's the other?

The year, 1906.

Interesting. Can you name any other bullets with this name format that
are as well known as the thirty ought six? What's so special about this
one?

To be correct, it is a cartridge, not a bullet. No, I know of no others
this famous with this name convention. The main thing that is special
is that the government used it so widely for so long and it was a pretty
versatile round for hunting as well. Large enough for all but the
nastiest game on most continents, yet small enough to be shot
comfortably by almost anyone.

Matt
Old July 28th 06, 10:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Default Why GA is Dying

Grumman-581 wrote:

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 02:35:10 GMT, Matt Whiting
wrote:

I consider a 9mm to be marginal and I laugh at this
whole "fire power" argument. Personally, I'd rather
have 6 or 8 rounds that count, than 15 peas to lob

I've got two 9mms... One was for compact carry, but it got relegated
to the gun safe after I found the exact same model in .40SW and .45
with the same number of rounds and still basically the same size
weapon... The other 9mm has 50 round magazines for it... It might be
lobbing peas, but it's lobbing *a lot* of peas... One could consider
it good for suppressive fire...

I'd rather have a Thompson for suppressive fire. :-)

Matt
Old July 28th 06, 10:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Grumman-581 wrote:

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 10:46:12 -0500, "Jim Macklin"
wrote:

A Calico?

Nawh, a TEC-9... I figure that if it was worth being mentioned on the
Brady Bill, I needed to buy one... It's accurate enough at typical
defensive ranges, but it's main advantage would be the ability to
quickly put down a field of suppressive fire... It would make your
typical home invasion thugs think twice... Of course, you're going to
patching holes in your sheetrock for the next couple of weeks...
grin

With my .45 or .44 mag, the thugs won't be thinking at all...

Matt
Old July 29th 06, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Seen him do it. In his day they had gunfights on the
Mexican border , several times a night. He was a cool
customer. Last time I talked to him he was living in
Louisiana.

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
| Jim Macklin wrote:
|
| Speed without accuracy, power without accuracy, too much
| power may kill your neighbor... If you want to see
speed,
| have you seen
| http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6rEnEQkYaQ&search=bond
|
| Yes, I've seen that. Have you seen the video of Bill
Jordan drawing and

Old July 29th 06, 03:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_1_]

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 21:30:35 GMT, Matt Whiting
wrote:
Large enough for all but the nastiest game on most
continents, yet small enough to be shot comfortably
by almost anyone.

My next door neighbor asked me today if I wanted some 30-06 shells
since he doesn't own one anymore and doesn't hut... I thought for a
second and realized that it was one caliber that for whatever reason,
I don't own anymore... Come to think of it, I'm not sure if I ever
owned one... Owned a .308 at one time, but I can't remember ever
owning a 30-06... If I did, it was so many years ago that I've
forgotten abou it...
Old July 29th 06, 03:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Jim Macklin wrote:
Seen him do it. In his day they had gunfights on the
Mexican border , several times a night. He was a cool
customer. Last time I talked to him he was living in
Louisiana.

I never got the chance to meet either Bill or Skeeter before him. It
would have been very interesting in both cases. I think it has been
several years now since Bill died and many more since Skeeter died.

Matt
Old July 29th 06, 03:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

wrote:

Large enough for all but the nastiest game on most
continents, yet small enough to be shot comfortably
by almost anyone.

My next door neighbor asked me today if I wanted some 30-06 shells
since he doesn't own one anymore and doesn't hut... I thought for a
second and realized that it was one caliber that for whatever reason,
I don't own anymore... Come to think of it, I'm not sure if I ever
owned one... Owned a .308 at one time, but I can't remember ever
owning a 30-06... If I did, it was so many years ago that I've
forgotten abou it...

I never owned one either. I bought a 7mm Magnum when I was 14 and never
looked back. Nothing against the '06, I just liked the 7mm ... and
still have that rifle 30 some years later and like it just as much now
as then. It is a one-shot kill no matter what I shoot with it. I used
it on woodchucks for years, but finally bought a .220 Swift a few years
ago as the 7mm is a little heavy for chucks.

Matt
Old July 29th 06, 07:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

I meet Bill at the NRA convention in Chicago back about
1966, he was very much alive then. I talked to him on the
phone, at his home in Louisiana at least 10-15 years ago.

Old August 1st 06, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt

Default Why GA is Dying - POL quotes

"Jose" wrote in message
m...
Give an example of a freedom you had 10 years ago that you do not have
now.

The freedom to fly myself into an airport near DC to visit a friend who
lives there. The freedom to carry a thin, large diameter steel disk onto
an airliner as hand luggage.

LOL!

Coming back into the US from England, via BC, the security folks confiscated
our red electric tape but let us keep our black electric tape (We were in
England filming Robot Wars, and the tape was among the miscellanea that got
shoved in the camera bag at the last minute.)

I demand my freedom to carry multi-colored friggin' electric tape!

-c

Old August 1st 06, 08:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt

"Jim Logajan" wrote in message
.. .

In Oregon, I am no longer free to buy cold medicines containing
pseudoephedrine without a prescription

SERIOUSLY! GOOD EXAMPLE!

The indians called the Willamette Valley the "Valley of sickness" because of
the pollen, which because of the grass seed farms is among the worst and
most concentrated in the world. Along comes a medication with almost no
side-effects, no drowsiness...something you could actually take and then fly
a plane.

Now you need a prescription to take a perfectly useful
medication....remember when they pulled Primatene too? That means only
folks with enough money to get to a physician and then get a prescription
can afford it. Isn't a problem for me (I work right across the river, where
it's legal over the counter.)

Why? 'Cause it's used in meth. So friggin' WHAT?! Meth manufactures
have been known to use crap like linoleum. You should need a prescription
to install a kitchen floor! The druggies are just going to order the crap
over the internet from Singapore or Canada anyway.

-c
(Portland)