Green Tinted Canopy

Old March 9th 15, 06:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Green Tinted Canopy

U reviewed the prior posts on tinted canopies and no one actually spoke of the green tinted canopy. If you were buying a glider, would you consider a green tinted canopy. The reason I mention green is I have never seen a pair of blue sunglass lens but I have seen many green sunglasses. Or is it best to buy a clear canopy?
Old March 9th 15, 06:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Sunday, March 8, 2015 at 11:15:20 PM UTC-7, wrote:
U reviewed the prior posts on tinted canopies and no one actually spoke of the green tinted canopy. If you were buying a glider, would you consider a green tinted canopy. The reason I mention green is I have never seen a pair of blue sunglass lens but I have seen many green sunglasses. Or is it best to buy a clear canopy?

https://www.google.com/search?q=blue...=lnms&tbm=isch

Next question?
Old March 9th 15, 09:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I have a green canopy on my Silent and LOVE IT!

Have flown with clear and much prefer the green.

Kevin
92
Old March 9th 15, 06:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

Best is solar gray followed by blue and green. Do not put clear on a glider, too hot and no UV protection.
Old March 9th 15, 07:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Galloway[_1_]

At 18:46 09 March 2015, Tim Taylor wrote:
Best is solar gray followed by blue and green. Do not put clear on a
glider, too hot and no UV protection.

A good clear canopy already cuts out about 95% of UV transmission
according to Mecaplex. A tinted one may cut a bit more UV but they
are intended to reduce heating from direct IR transmission - by how
much I do not know - but that is why they are blue or blue/green.

John Galloway

Old March 9th 15, 08:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

The only time I have ever disliked a tinted canopy was during a ridge soaring landout in the pouring rain.
Blue or green Mecaplex canopies are both nice. Depending on trim paint, blue might "look better" from the outside, but right now have a green vent window in a blue canopy and it's hard to tell the difference.
Jim
Old March 9th 15, 08:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Cordell

My ASW-28 had a green tinted canopy. I've flown many sailplanes with Blue tint and couldn't tell any difference between the 2 . I wear Brown tinted Sunglasses to optimise Cloud, dust and haze dome contrast. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a sailplane with either.

As a side note, I have seen a few Brown tinted canopy's on Centrair built Sailplanes
Old March 9th 15, 08:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Reinholt

Something to keep in mind about tinted canopies. A tinted canopy (or sunglasses for that matter) result in less light reaching your eyes. Less light will result in lower visual acuity. I for one, want as sharp as possible vision when I fly.
From Wikipedia:
20/20 is normal (daylight) vision. In low light (i.e., scotopic) vision, spatial resolution is much lower.
From personal experience, I use the least amount of tint on sunglasses to get the job done when I fly or drive. For other applications such as kicking around the beach where I have less need of sharp vision, I go with a much darker tint.
Perhaps someone with the proper background could elaborate.
Old March 9th 15, 09:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Galloway[_1_]

At 20:30 09 March 2015, Craig Reinholt wrote:
Something to keep in mind about tinted canopies. A tinted canopy

(or
sunglasses for that matter) result in less light reaching your eyes.

Less
light will result in lower visual acuity. I for one, want as sharp as
possible vision when I fly.
From Wikipedia:
20/20 is normal (daylight) vision. In low light (i.e., scotopic)

vision,
spatial resolution is much lower.
From personal experience, I use the least amount of tint on

sunglasses to
get the job done when I fly or drive. For other applications such as
kicking around the beach where I have less need of sharp vision, I

go with
a much darker tint.
Perhaps someone with the proper background could elaborate.

Tinted canopies simply don't reduce light levels to anything like the
extent required to reduce visual acuity in normal gliding daylight
conditions. This is easy to prove in a 2 seater with a tinted canopy
and comparing looking through the canopy versus looking through
the open clear view panel. My syndicate partner and I did this in
2003 in a Duo with a blue tinted canopy and could find no difference
in clarity of vision - in fact we found, against all logic and
expectations, that in hazy conditions we thought we could see
marginally better through the blue canopy than no canopy.

We also tried various different coloured spectacle lenses to nail the
then claim on RAS that brown spectacle lenses and a blue canopy
would make it dark inside! It was complete nonsense of course.
The subjectively perceived colour of the combination of the canopy
and spectacle lenses was always entirely related to the colour of the
much stronger spectacle tint rather than the canopy tint.

The only situation in which the blue canopy was noticeable from
inside the cockpit was in photographs from the cockpit which had a
definite slight blue bias.

I agree with Craig about not using an unnecessarily strong spectacle
tint. I use Zeiss Skylet Fun which is quite bright and it is very
comfortable inside my current green tinted canopy even in South
African summer conditions.

John Galloway